ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #106
atwater1
likes to play in the mud

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwater1 View Post

The thing that bothers me so far is that the gps seems "jumpy". What I mean by this, is that the gps only updates my position in about 1 second increments, rather than continuously. When I use my phone to navigate in my truck (using google maps rather than MotionX), my position is continuously updated, so I know my phone isn't problem.
I thought I'd bring up this issue again. I contacted MotionX Support via email to see if there was anything I could change to make my GPS run more smoothly. They responded very quickly and gave me some good information that I thought could be useful to others here...meaing other people smarter than myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotionX Support
Thank you for contacting the MotionX team. MotionX-GPS records every unique location point provided to us by the iPhone for the smoothest possible track. At high speeds, we are recording location data at a maximum of 1 every 700 milliseconds, but the time between samples is higher when traveling at slower speeds since the iPhone isn't providing unique location points as often. When walking, the iPhone typically reports a new location point every 5-10 meters.

Our filtering records every location point we believe the you have moved between. If you are receiving less frequent position updates, it is most likely due to poor GPS signal conditions. This could be caused by interference from trees, buildings, your body or the roof of a vehicle.

It looks to me like the "jumpy" maps are because my position is only getting updated at best every 700 milliseconds. The big question to me is whether or not the 700 milliseconds is limited by the iPhone hardware, or the MotionX software. From the above email, it seems as though the iPhone only gives out the updated position every 700 milliseconds, or less if speeds are lower.

However, I am confused because when I am navigating in google maps, my position is updated continuously, which makes for very smooth map display. I wonder if google maps does extra interpolating for location between actual iPhone location points.

I wish I was smarter about this stuff. Thinking about it makes my head hurt.

Atwater1
atwater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #107
Vacman
Some call me...Tim?

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
I thought I'd bring up this issue again. I contacted MotionX Support via email to see if there was anything I could change to make my GPS run more smoothly. They responded very quickly and gave me some good information that I thought could be useful to others here...meaing other people smarter than myself.

It looks to me like the "jumpy" maps are because my position is only getting updated at best every 700 milliseconds. The big question to me is whether or not the 700 milliseconds is limited by the iPhone hardware, or the MotionX software. From the above email, it seems as though the iPhone only gives out the updated position every 700 milliseconds, or less if speeds are lower.

However, I am confused because when I am navigating in google maps, my position is updated continuously, which makes for very smooth map display. I wonder if google maps does extra interpolating for location between actual iPhone location points.

I wish I was smarter about this stuff. Thinking about it makes my head hurt.

Atwater1

Actually I thought about your post this weekend when I zoomed all the way in while riding. It kind of skips from point to point. This was with clear overhead and phone mounted on my bars. Zooming out 1 notch completely eliminated it.

I think if you're moving too fast for it when you're zoomed in that far the software just can't render everything quickly enough. It still captured all my tracks.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:56 AM   #108
atwater1
likes to play in the mud

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacman View Post
Actually I thought about your post this weekend when I zoomed all the way in while riding. It kind of skips from point to point. This was with clear overhead and phone mounted on my bars. Zooming out 1 notch completely eliminated it.

I think if you're moving too fast for it when you're zoomed in that far the software just can't render everything quickly enough. It still captured all my tracks.
That's a good point. Last time I used it I think I was at zoom level 14.5. Maybe that is just zoomed in too far. Next time I'll zoom out some and see what that does.

atwater1
atwater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #109
NeptuneTriton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
All,

First of all, I am a n00b when it comes to using a gps in conjunction with my motorcycle. I have an iphone 5, which I use for gps on the road, but I am just now experimenting with using it on my mc. I downloaded MotionX, and have been testing it out in my truck before I put it on the bike.

The thing that bothers me so far is that the gps seems "jumpy". What I mean by this, is that the gps only updates my position in about 1 second increments, rather than continuously. When I use my phone to navigate in my truck (using google maps rather than MotionX), my position is continuously updated, so I know my phone isn't problem.

Also for reference, I pre-downloaded the area I was driving in, so I don't think it is an issue with the phone trying to keep up with the maps.

Realistically, I'm not sure if this will be an issue on the bike, because I won't be focused on looking at the gps, but rather just occasionally looking at it to stay on track...but it still bothers me.

Any thoughts on how (or if) I can make MotionX operate more smoothly? I've tried searching google, but I haven't been successful in finding a solution. I did see some discussions of the app being "choppy" earlier in this thread, but that was from 2011, and I didn't really see a solution to it...

Thanks,
Atwater1
Yes, this is a problem with the Motion X software and not the iPhone itself. I've been experimenting with it out on the trails and it was super annoying. The position arrow would lurch along instead of moving steadily in the direction of travel. In addition, the GPS signal would be lost frequently leaving the red spinning globe icon and the "?" over the arrow. It also seemed to have accuracy issues, with the position icon often floating way outside the track or route.

My favorite GPS app (GAIA GPS) doesn't do any of that. The map rotates fluidly, the arrow tracks smoothly along the line of travel, I never lost the GPS signal, and the positional arrows tracks within a few feet of any given track or route. Perfect. I tried them both side by side on different devices mounted to the bike and over and over again the same results. So, no more Motion X for me, it's all Gaia now.
NeptuneTriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #110
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptuneTriton View Post
It also seemed to have accuracy issues, with the position icon often floating way outside the track or route.
Yah, no shit. We were riding section 5 of the WABDR and it led us around in circles for several hours, giving false readings that we were on or off the correct track. At one point we backtracked a ways through some pretty bad moondust, only to meet up with fellow riders who told us we were really on the track, we had to ride back uphill through the crap. Later, the marker kept floating outside the track, so we would ride several miles and then turn around, retrace our steps back to the last intersection, then ride several miles only to have MotionX tell us we were off the track again....Repeat until you realized you've burned several hours and now don't have time to finish the leg. Ruined the day- sweaty, mad, and low on gas we headed out to the nearest town mid-afternoon and slabbed home.
Dammit.

GAIA GPS, my next stop.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.

1911fan screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 08:45 AM
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #111
CanadaBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
I'm planning a trip to Northern Ontario and Quebec. I was going to buy a new GPS unit, but decided to give MotionX GPS a try. I just started noodling with it, and I have a few comments and questions.

Part of my planned trip is trying to find a loop around a decommissioned provincial park in northern Ontario: Little Abitibi. I used Google maps and the Maps Engine (for the first time ever) and created a map with "Marker" points. I then exported it as a KML file. ( I started with Google Earth, but what a pig. At least for me)

(BTW - Here's the link to the map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...c.kaMIBbJQDBpo )

I tried converting the KLM to GPX using the GPS Visualizer site, but I had issues. (Probably my fault) I ended up downloading GPSBabel and was able to easily convert to a GPX file. However on my first few attempts I ended up with a GPX file that was just a bunch of Waypoints. MotionX has a storage limit for Waypoints, plus I wanted a route or track. I screwed with the export and filter options and ended up with a GPX file with a Track, and Waypoints, but I still didn't want all the Waypoints cluttering up the app. I finally figured out how to delete the Waypoints and convert all of the Markers from the KLM file to a "Track". I imported it using drag and drop in iTunes. One note: no matter what file name I used to export from Babel, it imported it into iTunes as Import0001.gpx. I could only change the name in the MotionX app, and that also changed the name in iTunes.

So a few questions. (and I'm a track, route, waypoint noob)

- I wouldn't mind some "notes" on my track. (Like "small lake north of trail") Can I only do that by keeping some of the Waypoints?

- Will I be missing something important by note preserving the waypoints?

- Should I use routes instead of tracks? (I will be offroad for some of the trip. Meaning off-off road on power line cuts, and logging trails. I'm sure these are not in a GPS road map?)

- SHould I use the line tool in Google maps?

- Even if I have the track, do I still need to cache or download the map for that area, or does the track somehow contain the map tiles?

- I paid for the upgrade to us other URLs for Custom Map Types. I get the option to "Download map for offline use". Is the download just for the areas selected? Not the entire world map obviously?

- Is it good to get other URLs for maps like Bing Sat, etc? Or are the 3 map options that come with MotionX just fine?

- Is there a way to download a full map set for say all of Canada or Eastern Canada, outside of the app and then bring it in somehow? (I would pay much more for the app if it had maps already downloaded.)

- Maybe I should try Gaia?

Any help or input would be awesome!

Thanks.

(BTW - I found a very decent GPS holder at Princess Auto for like 12 bucks. It has a waterproof case with rubberized zippers. And very strangely my finger works through the plastic screen, and even more strange, an old pair of Mechanix gloves also work on the the iPhone screen and through the plastic. Don't know how that is happening. The case came with a cheap plastic knuckle ball attachment thingy. I ended up cutting a holder from a bicyle air pump in half. I drilled small holes through the back of the case, which is hard plastic, and into the quick release side of the air pump holder. I removed the small bolt and quick tighten lever, and slipped the round part over my handle bars, then re-inserted the screw and release lever. You can't take it off without removeing the screw and release lever, but it allows my to tilt it around the centre of my bars to the proper viewing angle and then click back the lever tab to tighten)

Old 07-20-2014, 03:00 AM   #112
seevtsaab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBiker View Post
I'm planning a trip to Northern Ontario and Quebec. I was going to buy a new GPS unit, but decided to give MotionX GPS a try. I just started noodling with it, and I have a few comments and questions.

Part of my planned trip is trying to find a loop around a decommissioned provincial park in northern Ontario: Little Abitibi. I used Google maps and the Maps Engine (for the first time ever) and created a map with "Marker" points. I then exported it as a KML file. ( I started with Google Earth, but what a pig. At least for me)

(BTW - Here's the link to the map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...c.kaMIBbJQDBpo )

I tried converting the KLM to GPX using the GPS Visualizer site, but I had issues. (Probably my fault) I ended up downloading GPSBabel and was able to easily convert to a GPX file. However on my first few attempts I ended up with a GPX file that was just a bunch of Waypoints. MotionX has a storage limit for Waypoints, plus I wanted a route or track. I screwed with the export and filter options and ended up with a GPX file with a Track, and Waypoints, but I still didn't want all the Waypoints cluttering up the app. I finally figured out how to delete the Waypoints and convert all of the Markers from the KLM file to a "Track". I imported it using drag and drop in iTunes. One note: no matter what file name I used to export from Babel, it imported it into iTunes as Import0001.gpx. I could only change the name in the MotionX app, and that also changed the name in iTunes.

So a few questions. (and I'm a track, route, waypoint noob)

- I wouldn't mind some "notes" on my track. (Like "small lake north of trail") Can I only do that by keeping some of the Waypoints?

- Will I be missing something important by note preserving the waypoints?

- Should I use routes instead of tracks? (I will be offroad for some of the trip. Meaning off-off road on power line cuts, and logging trails. I'm sure these are not in a GPS road map?)

- SHould I use the line tool in Google maps?

- Even if I have the track, do I still need to cache or download the map for that area, or does the track somehow contain the map tiles?

- I paid for the upgrade to us other URLs for Custom Map Types. I get the option to "Download map for offline use". Is the download just for the areas selected? Not the entire world map obviously?

- Is it good to get other URLs for maps like Bing Sat, etc? Or are the 3 map options that come with MotionX just fine?

- Is there a way to download a full map set for say all of Canada or Eastern Canada, outside of the app and then bring it in somehow? (I would pay much more for the app if it had maps already downloaded.)

- Maybe I should try Gaia?

Any help or input would be awesome!

Thanks.

(BTW - I found a very decent GPS holder at Princess Auto for like 12 bucks. It has a waterproof case with rubberized zippers. And very strangely my finger works through the plastic screen, and even more strange, an old pair of Mechanix gloves also work on the the iPhone screen and through the plastic. Don't know how that is happening. The case came with a cheap plastic knuckle ball attachment thingy. I ended up cutting a holder from a bicyle air pump in half. I drilled small holes through the back of the case, which is hard plastic, and into the quick release side of the air pump holder. I removed the small bolt and quick tighten lever, and slipped the round part over my handle bars, then re-inserted the screw and release lever. You can't take it off without removeing the screw and release lever, but it allows my to tilt it around the centre of my bars to the proper viewing angle and then click back the lever tab to tighten)

Well I'm no motionX expert but I've used it for numerous on road trips. It has it's limitations but I still love it for it's flexibility and simplicity.
o Switch google maps to 'classic' version - I was unable to convert the map from default version (thanks to an inmate here for the tip).
o download maps for offline use is for area you select and magnifications you select. Definitely dry run to figure out your optimal magnifiaction. 14X gives me ~1/2 mile heads up for a turn and still decent enough resolution to pick the correct street in town. 15X might be better but turns come up awful fast).
o I use the motionX map, but I don't need the topo info.
o tracks, not routes. Trackpoints.
Enjoy your trip.
I think other apps might have surpassed motionX for features but I'm faithful to it.
seevtsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #113
PBOB
MOTO NUT

Oddometer: 279
Noob to motionx...
Trying to wrap my head around all this info.
But what I want to know is....

With motionx:
1. Do I have access to entire map of USA even without cell signal?
- or do I have to save each area?....
2. If I don't have cell signal, does app still pick up my coordinates?
3. Can I load gpx file from my computer?
4. Do I just email the file to myself and just open it or do I have to send it to motionx app some way?

I ask this because, I want a map of USA that doesn't constantly draw cell data. But is always showing my coordinates so I can follow my load gpx given to me by another rider. Lastly, when I do go exploring if like to record or drop pin and save my coordinates so I can explore area again.

Motionx fit this, or do I need to look into another one?
Someone mentioned "scenic map" and "you need a map" Ect blah blah....

Just wanting to clarify some things before I try one this weekend.
Thx all
1995 Honda XR650L (in Shasta white and Uranus violet of course)
The list is long, I'll stop there....
PBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #114
Shunpiker Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBOB View Post
Noob to motionx...
Trying to wrap my head around all this info.
But what I want to know is....

With motionx:
3. Can I load gpx file from my computer?
4. Do I just email the file to myself and just open it or do I have to send it to motionx app some way?

I ask this because, I want a map of USA that doesn't constantly draw cell data. But is always showing my coordinates so I can follow my load gpx given to me by another rider. Lastly, when I do go exploring if like to record or drop pin and save my coordinates so I can explore area again.

Motionx fit this, or do I need to look into another one?
Someone mentioned "scenic map" and "you need a map" Ect blah blah....

Just wanting to clarify some things before I try one this weekend.
Thx all
I can answer some of your questions

- Not sure of the best way for you to get the entire US. You have access to the entire US while your phone has Internet access. If you will be exploring an area that may not have cell signal, you need to download that area beforehand while your phone is connected. Not sure if it is possible to download the entire US to your phone.

Yes. Your phone doesn't rely on a cell signal for GPS coordinates so MotionX has that data as long as it is able to receive GPS Sat signals.

3. Can I load gpx file from my computer? Yes
Yes. Just email it to your personal email that you access on your phone. Open the file on your phone and you should get the option to open it in MotionX.

2013 V-Strom 650
Shunpiker Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #115
PBOB
MOTO NUT

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunpiker Dan View Post
I can answer some of your questions

- Not sure of the best way for you to get the entire US. You have access to the entire US while your phone has Internet access. If you will be exploring an area that may not have cell signal, you need to download that area beforehand while your phone is connected. Not sure if it is possible to download the entire US to your phone.

Yes. Your phone doesn't rely on a cell signal for GPS coordinates so MotionX has that data as long as it is able to receive GPS Sat signals.

3. Can I load gpx file from my computer? Yes
Yes. Just email it to your personal email that you access on your phone. Open the file on your phone and you should get the option to open it in MotionX.
thank u !
1995 Honda XR650L (in Shasta white and Uranus violet of course)
The list is long, I'll stop there....
PBOB is offline   Reply With Quote