Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2011, 12:55 AM   #1
ECKS-Man OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Wink How many miles ARE there in a Twelve Mile Road?

A few weeks ago I offloaded my Yamaha WR250F, in search of a more road orientated bike that I could jump on and ride without the trailer saga I faced with the trail bike. I tracked down a nice 2008 DL650 VStrom with about 32,500km on it for a very reasonable price and started planning a few trips.

There are some cracking roads around my area, and being a surveyor I’m often driving them and finding new tracks to explore. Today’s warm-up run was one of my favourites, The Twelve Mile.

Heading East from Wellington, the Twelve Mile Road has about 25km of winding bitumen before it turns into some lovely twisty dirt roads through the Wuuluman area (pronounced Wool-oo-man) through the hills along the Cudgegong River, meeting Yarrabin Road which then heads south and onwards to Mudgee – if you choose! That was Plan A – ride the Twelve Mile to Mudgee, have a look around and head back, possibly on some other roads I’d seen lately.

Headed off from Wello at about half-past 8 in the morning, planning to be home by 11. Possibly cutting things a little bit fine, but there’s always other options – including extending the trip! Cruising the bitumen part of Twelve Mile into a three-quarter headwind over my right mirror was annoying, but it was an awesome day, so I kept my mind on the goal of the dirt roads and kept the grin on my dial!

As soon as I hit the dirt I pulled up and snapped a couple of pics, just to get the creative juices flowing! The roads were in great condition, slightly rutted in places and the expected rocky sections, but all quite easy, and doable in a 2-wheel drive car – albeit slowly! Starting off as a fairly open flowing track, the Twelve Mile winds into the hills where you come across all sorts of beautiful scenery.

For years I’ve driven past this section of old hand-built road and promised myself I’d stop there one day and have a look – well today was the day! Great spot, and a piece of forgotten history. I was pretty chuffed to be out today but rather than subject you to a pic of my mug in Movember mode, I present the censored version!

Although I didn’t drop in at Hidden Valley, I had to snap a pic of the sign, before cruising on to the Cudgegong River crossing.

I took Yarrabin Road next, where you can see what’s coming for alternately miles, or bugger-all, depending on which side of the crest you are on! The road is pretty narrow in this section and in places the physical road is not in the legal road reserve – past experience with surveys in this area have told me that! Most of this road is unfenced so I was slowing for the stock – sheep, cattle, goats… the odd roo and wallaby.

Finally I reached the intersection where it is left and bitumen to Mudgee… or right and dirt to the Cudgegong Caravan Park. After a short moment, I decided that I didn't really want to see another town, this was too much fun! So, it was a right turn & heading towards the Cudgegong Caravan Park.

Funny side story attached to this place: When Burrendong Dam was constructed, most of the area flooded was within Wellington Shire. As the surveys for flooding were undertaken it became apparent that a small section of Wellington Shire would be cut off by the dam, accessible only from roads through Mudgee (now Midwestern Regional) Shire or by boat from the Wellington side! The Cudgegong Caravan Park takes up most of the Wellington Shire land on the eastern side of the Cudgegong. And yes, some Council staff DO use a boat to get there!

About 10 years back I was involved with some survey work to change the boundaries of the caravan park. Many of the van sites were located below the theoretical top water level of the dam – which had all been surveyed in the 1950’s. My task was to create a new lot inside this top water level survey for the caravan park to own. Interesting survey! Kinda hope for the van owners sake that the dam doesn't ever get over the theoretical top water level though!!

Back then, the dam was as close to empty as makes no difference. Today, however, the dam is nearly full (85%?) and I was pleasantly surprised to find water views at the end of the road! At $8 for entry to the park, I didn’t even stop, just turned around and headed off. If you're thinking of riding out there, just beware of big f'n 4WD's towing big f'n boats... that and P-platers! Encountered both, in the worst traffic of the day (3 cars!).

By now I was starting to get the feel for the bike and I was starting to make a list of things I would change if I could and things that I wouldn’t change! It was starting to become a more interesting and fun ride!

As I went past Worlds End Road I had a bit of a chuckle – love the road names out there! Shame it isn’t a public road!

It was warming up, and the wildlife changed accordingly. The roos and wallabies were camped in the shade, and the reptiles were showing up. I had to swerve around a 4-foot Red-belly Black snake – don’t worry, these are not instantly deadly. I narrowly missed a goanna at one stage – still, I prefer this problem to the sheep and roos of this morning!

The bike performed beautifully and I discovered the most amazing sound at between 6500 and 7500 rpm – awesome! I started riding higher in the rev range – just because I liked the sound! This meant my speeds crept up, and at times I glanced at the speedo with surprise! Of course, I would never speed, so I must have reached at least 99.5km/h now and then!

I stopped for a photo here – notice the track disappearing and reappearing beyond the stock grid? Yeah.. well, if you ever see this sign, take notice!

Anyway, I had a great ride, only about 150km but it was awesome! I have grand plans for other trips around the district (and beyond) in future… So… who’s up for a ride!?!?
Old 11-13-2011, 01:13 AM   #2
badmanners
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Noice!

Great ride report ECKS-man and your on a good mount if I do say so myself!

Might be worth your while posting this up on stromtroopers in the aus section to stir up a little interest in future rides, very suitable terrain for v-stroms.

Cheers, badmanners.

I wee in public!

Well you told me about nowhere, well it sounds like someplace I'd like to go.
badmanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
ECKS-Man OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmanners View Post
Great ride report ECKS-man and your on a good mount if I do say so myself!

Might be worth your while posting this up on stromtroopers in the aus section to stir up a little interest in future rides, very suitable terrain for v-stroms.

Cheers, badmanners.
Cheers Badmanners! I must admit I'm a bit leery about inviting all and sundry on rides with me. I like to keep things intimate, just a few close mates if not solo! Mum always told me I was terrible at sharing!
Old 11-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
With your title of 12 mile road, and your motorcycle in km's, I sensed there must have been a change from miles to kilometers. You made me look it up, ha ha!

Looks like some pretty country to ride in. Trailering your motocycle can become annoying after a while can't it? With all the sun in your photo's, it warmed me up on a chilly day here. Thanks for sharing.
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
ECKS-Man OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
With your title of 12 mile road, and your motorcycle in km's, I sensed there must have been a change from miles to kilometers. You made me look it up, ha ha!

Looks like some pretty country to ride in. Trailering your motocycle can become annoying after a while can't it? With all the sun in your photo's, it warmed me up on a chilly day here. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Admiral! The trailering as such wasn't the main problem, it was the time commitment required - usually a full day, which is very hard to get with two young kids and owning my own business!

Glad you enjoyed our spring weather - headed for something like 30° Celcius today...
Old 11-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,318
Good to see the V out & about.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
V8R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
nice one Eric, i have wondered about the worlds end road, it looks to go pretty deep on the map? will have to do something similar when i get back
V8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
ECKS-Man OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8R View Post
nice one Eric, i have wondered about the worlds end road, it looks to go pretty deep on the map? will have to do something similar when i get back
Actually Google maps seems to think it goes through to the Hill End road... which would be awesome if true!

When are you back, a couple of weeks yet?
Old 11-14-2011, 06:18 AM   #9
MudratinOz
Adventurer in training

Oddometer: 892
Nice report Eck-Man, nice bike too, Not that I'm biased
The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)
MudratinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
ECKS-Man OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudratinOz View Post
Nice report Eck-Man, nice bike too, Not that I'm biased
Cheers Mudrat! Got a few other routes planned that should be at least as good as this!
Old 11-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #11
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,775
love them roads .... thanks for sharing

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
Russ

Oddometer: 15,479
Good stuff, great part of the world for a ride
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote