User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
TowPro OP
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,000
Heated clothing Flush Mount connector

Do any of you folks run the Gerbing panel mount connector?
Where did you mount it?
I run a tank bag some times which covers up my BMW outlet so where else?

Old 11-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
I've tried to get them for my bikes but have not been able to get them in Canada. Had them on order for months from the Canadian supplier with no luck. Looked at ordering direct from Gerbings but they want an extreme amount of money for shipping to Canada, more than twice as much as the plugs are cost. I would still like to get them for my bikes, but at this point I will have to wait until I can source them on a trip south of the border to make it possible.

My plan was to mount them somewhere near the lower edge of the seat towards the front. I have figured out a nice spot in the panels on both my GT and GS where they would be in a good handy location. On the GS, that would be the small black cover that fits intop the frame opening and is held in place with the single screw.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
intr1gue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
not the best idea...

I thought about these for a while, along with hardmount 5pin DIN connectors for the Autocomm gear. Here's why they're not a good idea: When you come off the bike for whatever reason (riding a GS on un/der/paved roads, this can happen =), a cable connector will straighten and then detach without incident. A panel mount connector cannot change its angle or position, and the probability that the connector will be damaged, possibly beyond repair, is high.

Having "tested" this theory with others who have used panel mount connectors, I would suggest simply absorbing the inconvenience of cable connectors for the field-reliability of these connectors. There's enough possibility of damage when you come off the bike in unexpected circumstances without also having to risk damaging one of the panels. =/

My 2c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
Do any of you folks run the Gerbing panel mount connector?
Where did you mount it?
I run a tank bag some times which covers up my BMW outlet so where else?

intr1gue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,244
I have used them on several bikes.

Right now, Aerostich has them on sale for $7

On my F800GS, I mounted it on the left side of the bike on the black plastic panel that is by my left knee. The one that has a single torx bolt, and two mounting pins. If I fall off, the coax jack will easily separate without damage. And it's in a good location to plug it in, or unplug it when I get off the bike.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,320
Soph9 has an install pictorial.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by intr1gue View Post
I thought about these for a while, along with hardmount 5pin DIN connectors for the Autocomm gear. Here's why they're not a good idea: When you come off the bike for whatever reason (riding a GS on un/der/paved roads, this can happen =), a cable connector will straighten and then detach without incident. A panel mount connector cannot change its angle or position, and the probability that the connector will be damaged, possibly beyond repair, is high.

Having "tested" this theory with others who have used panel mount connectors, I would suggest simply absorbing the inconvenience of cable connectors for the field-reliability of these connectors. There's enough possibility of damage when you come off the bike in unexpected circumstances without also having to risk damaging one of the panels. =/

My 2c.
If I'm riding in conditions where I'm likely to fall, I don't need the Gerbings since I'm working hard enough at riding to stay warm. And I will also have no need for the Autocom either.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote