Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #31
rc3oboy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Love the pics, nice tent, where do you get a killer tent like that? I bet it sets up fast! Anyway, rock on man, you have done some amazing things lately and this ranks up there. BTW, a young man got beheaded with a sword in little ol' Ashland Or. last Friday night, so danger can rear it's head anywhere anytime, the only answer is to live out on the edge (so to speak and no disrespect intended) with no regrets!
rc3oboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #32
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
I'm in too
give us a good ride!!!

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #33
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
a word of thanks....

I almost forgot to say thanks to the people that have made this trip possible....

first of all, thanks to my kids for being supportive of me being away this long. I almost cancelled this trip a few months ago because I didn't want to be away that long. I was convinced by two moms that I respect to go on this trip to inspire my children to live thier dreams. I talked it over with my daughters, and they are very excited for me to go on this trip of a lifetime.

A big thanks to my Mom for running my online continuing education business while I am gone. I started it last winter, and it's a little too much to run while on the road. My Mom volunteered to do the bulk of it while I'm gone.

Also, a big thanks to my brothers for listening to me over the last few years as I untangled some things caused by gender feminism, and from my divorce years ago. Also, thanks to my friends Wade, Jon and Chad for listening, and providing guidance, on this life changing adventure that I've been on. Thank you Dave for building the racks on my KLR. Some people have a gift for building things, and my brother Dave is one of those people.

And a thanks to all the people I have met and talked to this summer that encouraged me to go for it while i had the chance to do it. I had a sign on the back of my bike about the trip (see Vstrom in sand wash photo) and I was approached by an amazing number of people that were so positive, gave advice or just gave a thumbs up. I especially appreciate the advice I recieved from Alberto and from Emilio on getting ready for this trip.

In a week, I'll be in Mexico on my way....WOW!!

kramnamhoh screwed with this post 11-23-2011 at 04:36 PM
kramnamhoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:35 AM   #34
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnamhoh View Post
Can I haul a trailer with a KLR??
Well, for one that happens to haul a large Action Packer check this link...

http://www.moto-mule.com/
Old 11-24-2011, 06:50 AM   #35
tint
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Subscribed. Safe travels.

In every generation, there are only a few people who do really great work, and if you don't keep their memories alive, you have no history and no standards to lean on or learn from. (Peter Egan)
tint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #36
auSTer
Gray Wolf

Oddometer: 7
I've known Mark for many years. In his modesty, he forgot to mention he is a Desert Storm Veteran, and in his time off, he founded a medical education company. Mark is a skilled rider, and definitely the guy you want covering your back. He is an expert bushwacker, and part-time bull$hitter. I'll look forward to all the ride details, Via con Dios, amigo!
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. " ~Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
auSTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #37
rc3oboy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
To move, to breathe, to fly, to float
To gain all while you give,
To roam the roads of lands remote,
To travel is to live

Hans Christian Anderson
rc3oboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #38
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

On the road to mexico.....

-I'm on my way again.... It's time to get on the road and get past the pre-trip jitters. I think I'm ready, so off I go....

A big thank you to Barb & Bill for the great dinner and a place for a good night' sleep. I've been burning the candle at both ends traveling with kids, working on last minute stuff and trying to re-pack lighter for the last week or so. After a break at thier house, I feel recharged and ready to go....

Next stop, Nogales, Arizona....
Attached Images

kramnamhoh screwed with this post 11-29-2011 at 10:28 AM Reason: add photo
Old 11-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #39
balloonman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Thumb Big ass action packer

I hope you have the lite stuff in there. How does it ride? Have fun. Captain Tom
balloonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #40
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
In.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #41
Pindon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
In my opinion you should have found an attorney and sued your former employer. The mere threat of a lawsuit would have gotten you a settlement of some sort. In most states the statute of limitations is two years, you may still be able to pursue a claim. This type of injustice needs to be confronted.

From the pictures you have posted it appears that you have a "easy going" disposition and an attitude that doesn't allow your misfortune to get the better of you. I admire that. Good luck in your endeavors.

Best regards,

Paul
Pindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #42
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloonman View Post
I hope you have the lite stuff in there. How does it ride? Have fun. Captain Tom
It rides ok....believe or not it is much lighter now than when I did the test ride from California to Arizona. It was so heavy then that it would compress and the rear suspension enough to fall to the right with the kickstand down on flat ground.

I would have brought less clothes, but I need them to go out dancing and on dates. A guys gotta do what a guys gotta do....
Old 11-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #43
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc3oboy View Post
To move, to breathe, to fly, to float
To gain all while you give,
To roam the roads of lands remote,
To travel is to live

Hans Christian Anderson

And the road becomes my bride
I have stripped of all but pride
So in her I do confide
And she keeps me satisfied
Gives me all I need

And with dust in throat I crave
Only knowledge will I save
To the game you stay a slave

Rover, wanderer
Nomad, vagabond
Call me what you will

But I'll take my time anywhere
Free to speak my mind anywhere
And I'll redefine anywhere

Anywhere I roam
Where I lay my head is home

(And the earth becomes my throne)

And the earth becomes my throne
I adapt to the unknown
Under wandering stars I've grown
By myself but not alone
I ask no one

METALLICA- wherever I may roam
Old 11-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #44
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Maybe free camping on side of road close to mexico border was a bad idea???

I camped close to border last night about 25 miles north of Nogales. In the middle of night...i get woken up by bright light. At first, I thought i had overslept and it was the sun. After a few delerious minutes, I realized it was a truck with the lights on bright pointed at my tent....and it sat there for a looooonnnnnggggg time and nobody came out....
then another truck did same thing

then another car

and another car...

Finally, I recognized that one of the cars was a police car, soon after that, the sheriff came out to talk to me. apparently, I had set up my camp right in the middle of where there was going to be a big border patrol operation that night. They said it was dangerous for me to stay but that it was my choice and i could stay if i wanted...

so...i stayed.... and all the rest of the night there were cars driving around me chasiing mexicans

Old 11-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #45
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

the day gets better

Ran into a freindly motorcyclist at Walmart in Nogales, Arizona. He is a local and has riden in Mexico many times. He gives me the rundown on exactly where to go for customs and immigration, how much money I need for the toll roads, and the easiest place to get to get to an ATM for more pesos. This is a great start to the day.

So, off to mexico to the immigration and vehicle importation place in Mexico. It only takes a little over an hour and five stops at different windows and I'm off into mainland mexico. It really wasn't that hard. I am told while I am waiting in line that Mexico is very easy compared to Central America border crossings.