Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #16
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,936
What I've heard is that exhaust systems are designed to support the bike. Don't know if that's true for the beemers, but I have used lifts like you speak of supporting my airheads by the exhaust.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #17
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
I kid you not, I live near the harbor of LA/Long beach Ca and there's a huge amount of scrap steel being sent back in the containers that stuff like theses lifts came over in.
I'll never forget seeing a freighter steaming into Elliot Bay (Seattle) delivering container cranes made in Shanghai, China...to be installed at the Port of Seattle...to unload more plastic crap from China. The US doesn't even make the cranes needed to unload all those imports from Asia.

These are the cranes mfd. by Zen Jua Port Machinery being shipped to the Port of Seattle. I was dumbfounded both at the fact that the boat didn't tip over and that we had to import these cranes. The cranes are about 200' wide and the ship is about 750' long.

Attached Images

fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:57 AM   #18
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordless View Post

A couple years ago I bought two air operated HF lifts with the better front wheel chock added for less than $780 by combining all the offers with a 20% off coupon.

I'm with Stagehand on this one--how can they afford to build, transport, and store these heavy lifts for that kind of money? I am just glad I have them. They are in constant use. One is dedicated to a longer term project and the other is set aside for maintenance on one of my other bikes or, often, the bike of someone else.
Are these HF lifts? I thought the one's from HF were like the one in the earlier post (#3 I believe), that "tilted" up on two arms, rather than these "scissor" type. I want a scissor type lift merely because of them taking up less floor space, at least I'd think they'd be more compact.

I agree with others about the cost. If I hadn't used a lot of "drops" of material from my fabricating business I would have spent close to the $299 HF charges, when I built my own lift a couple years ago. I used a long ram jack that also is used with my "cherry picker", so at least that part is a two-fer.

Lynn
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #19
parkerfe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by russbryant View Post
I would love to get the HF table but it just takes up too much room. I figure I can dismantle a wooden one if I go the table route. But the smaller under frame lift could work if I can come up with a way to keep the weight of the bike off the bits that hang down below the frame rails.

Russ
Tucson
You can put the HF lift in your garage and park your car over it when not in use.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #20
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
You put a car in the garage?
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #21
Toaster.Tan
Toaster Rider

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
I would love to get the HF table but it just takes up too much room. I figure I can dismantle a wooden one if I go the table route. But the smaller under frame lift could work if I can come up with a way to keep the weight of the bike off the bits that hang down below the frame rails.

Russ
Tucson
Russ - I know this is a bit of a cluge... but I have a similar problem. I have a hydraulic HF table lift and love it, but my Buell has no 'frame' to lift and exhaust underneath. I rigged an HF come-along from the ceiling and use the floor MC jack and the ceiling in combination to both lift and support....uh....maybe that was for my girlfriend....

Anyhoo.... It's a creative way to save space. I'm in Scottsdale, but have a buddy in Tucson that has a like new Torin MC floor jack he would sell you pretty cheap.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ycle-Jack.aspx

Attached Images

80 CBX-SuperSport~91 R100GS-PD~04 R1150RT
Bobber project using 1203cc Thunderbolt engine.
Toaster.Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #22
usafe7ret
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
You mentioned a wooden table, so here is a diagram for making one. It is an option you can think about.
Attached Images

usafe7ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #23
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
The Miata probably sits too low to fit over the HF lift but it could go in front of the car. How high is it when folded all the way down? Once I clean out the garage and rearrange things it would probably fit somewhere. I can fit my wifes car and bike plus my GSPD and the Miata in the garage when it is relatively clean but it hasn't been that way for awhile.

This has all become moot for now. I thought I had another weekend to get the bike squared away in a position that I could work on it. I have to go get a screw put in my hand this Thursday so nothing is going to happen for a few weeks. By the way, try not to break the scaphoid bone in your hand. It's a bitch to get healed.

Then I need to get some of the pins and wire taken out of my elbow before the end of the year or I'll get hit with more 'deductibles on my medical ins.

Sunday was the 1 year anniversary of when I got hit on the bike. Can't believe I'm still dealing with this crap.

Russ
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #24
slowinfastout
6 x 275cc

Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
The Miata probably sits too low to fit over the HF lift but it could go in front of the car. How high is it when folded all the way down? Once I clean out the garage and rearrange things it would probably fit somewhere. I can fit my wifes car and bike plus my GSPD and the Miata in the garage when it is relatively clean but it hasn't been that way for awhile.

This has all become moot for now. I thought I had another weekend to get the bike squared away in a position that I could work on it. I have to go get a screw put in my hand this Thursday so nothing is going to happen for a few weeks. By the way, try not to break the scaphoid bone in your hand. It's a bitch to get healed.

Then I need to get some of the pins and wire taken out of my elbow before the end of the year or I'll get hit with more 'deductibles on my medical ins.

Sunday was the 1 year anniversary of when I got hit on the bike. Can't believe I'm still dealing with this crap.

Russ
I got hit by a car while on a Yamaha 360 Enduro 39 years ago. I'm STILL dealing with that every day, some of that stuff never really goes away, it just mitigates into an annoyance you can live with....tune it out as best you can and keep on goin'.....

All this talk of lifts made me order mine today. In the end, I went with a made-in-Iowa Handy Industries lift at $ 1,146 shipped as shown. The Harbor Freight was tempting at $ 313.95 (with tax), but I just have a thing for high quality tools....should be here Friday.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #25
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,312
Old 11-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #26
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,621
Quote:
Guys,

I'm finally going to start tearing down my R100 GSPD that took a hit from a car and I want to pull the bent forks off first. I was going to build a wooden table to put the bike on while working on it but then thought I might just get one of those lifts that pick the bike up from under the engine like the one Sears sells. Looks like there's too much stuff in the way to use it though. Any ideas? This will likely be a long project so the bike will be on the lift or table for quite a while.

Thanks,
Russ
Tucson

I can understand wanting to get a bike lift, they're great fun for a garage. But that partuicular job, pulling off the front end of your PD is best done off the bike's centre stand. The thing will rest perfectly on the back wheel the minute the wheel comes off.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #27
Ben Carufel
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerfe View Post
You can put the HF lift in your garage and park your car over it when not in use.

If I recall correctly, the height of the lift when fully lowered is still something like 7". I'm not at home this week or I'd measure to be more accurate. I don't know of many cars that have 7" of ground clearance...SUVs and trucks should clear no problem (but how many SUVs and trucks get parked in the garage?)...
Ben Carufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #28
Ben Carufel
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_harley View Post
Are these HF lifts? I thought the one's from HF were like the one in the earlier post (#3 I believe), that "tilted" up on two arms, rather than these "scissor" type. I want a scissor type lift merely because of them taking up less floor space, at least I'd think they'd be more compact.
Lynn, I believe that the lifts Cordless has are the apparently discontinued pneumatically actuated Harbor Freight lifts. I was looking at that one for some time (it was a hundred or so bucks more than the foot pedal pump type lift that Harbor Freight carries now) but they seem to have stopped selling it. Now you can just get the one type. It's quite a few pumps to get it to full height, but the advantage is it's self contained...no reason to run an air hose over to it.
Ben Carufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #29
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowinfastout View Post
I got hit by a car while on a Yamaha 360 Enduro 39 years ago. I'm STILL dealing with that every day, some of that stuff never really goes away, it just mitigates into an annoyance you can live with....tune it out as best you can and keep on goin'.....

All this talk of lifts made me order mine today. In the end, I went with a made-in-Iowa Handy Industries lift at $ 1,146 shipped as shown. The Harbor Freight was tempting at $ 313.95 (with tax), but I just have a thing for high quality tools....should be here Friday.
Glad to have helped prompt you into action That's supposed to be a great lift.

I hear ya on the lifetime of dealing with the accident. I just want to get some mobility back in my elbow. The shoulder is doing much better but I still can't bend my arm much past 90 degrees at the elbow. The doc is going to remove some scar tissue along with the pins and wire. The 2 plates are going to stay but I think at least one of them is part of the problem as it gets tight right where it is when I bend my arm.

Russ
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #30
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkens View Post
These are the cranes mfd. by Zen Jua Port Machinery being shipped to the Port of Seattle. I was dumbfounded both at the fact that the boat didn't tip over and that we had to import these cranes. The cranes are about 200' wide and the ship is about 750' long.
If you're dumbfounded by moving them, you should watch them unload them sometime. Truly scary. I work for SSA. Those are our cranes in your photo. ZPMC has either 3 or 4 of those ships converted for delivering STS cranes and all of them are constantly in use. They make a LOT of cranes. Their production facility in Shanghai is HUGE.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote