Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #31
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
I can understand wanting to get a bike lift, they're great fun for a garage. But that partuicular job, pulling off the front end of your PD is best done off the bike's centre stand. The thing will rest perfectly on the back wheel the minute the wheel comes off.

Steve
Oh I know, but I want a stable place to work on the bike as I pull the rest of it apart, I'll be one handed for a while.

BTW, nice selection of bikes you have there in you sig.

Russ
Tucson
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #32
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Carufel View Post
Lynn, I believe that the lifts Cordless has are the apparently discontinued pneumatically actuated Harbor Freight lifts. I was looking at that one for some time (it was a hundred or so bucks more than the foot pedal pump type lift that Harbor Freight carries now) but they seem to have stopped selling it. Now you can just get the one type. It's quite a few pumps to get it to full height, but the advantage is it's self contained...no reason to run an air hose over to it.

You are correct, sir. The lifts I have are the 1200 lb. capacity lifts that use compressed air to actuate. I don't really need 1200 lb. capacity (though I will be lifting a 940 lb.Goldwing this winter for maintenance) but these lifts raise up to 32 inches-- higher than the 29 1/2 inches with all the other lifts. I am 6' 6" so I can use all the lift I can get.

I have seen my lifts for sale in the online catalog within the past year, but haven't seen them in any print catalogs in quite a while. Mine were listed for retail at $499. That's why I thought $778 was a very good deal for the pair with the wheel chocks added.

The wheel chocks are usually $49 but are routinely on sale for $39 or less. They are much better than the stock screw clamp that comes standard on the HF lifts.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #33
Ben Carufel
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordless View Post
You are correct, sir. The lifts I have are the 1200 lb. capacity lifts that use compressed air to actuate. I don't really need 1200 lb. capacity (though I will be lifting a 940 lb.Goldwing this winter for maintenance) but these lifts raise up to 32 inches-- higher than the 29 1/2 inches with all the other lifts. I am 6' 6" so I can use all the lift I can get.

I have seen my lifts for sale in the online catalog within the past year, but haven't seen them in any print catalogs in quite a while. Mine were listed for retail at $499. That's why I thought $778 was a very good deal for the pair with the wheel chocks added.

The wheel chocks are usually $49 but are routinely on sale for $39 or less. They are much better than the stock screw clamp that comes standard on the HF lifts.

I'd say you did well!

I would have sprung for the more expensive lift, too, if it were still available. I can't find it on their website or in stores, so I assume it's NLA. The extra height is definitely a plus.

I did the same thing with the wheel chock. I bought the better one for $39 on sale minus a 20% off coupon, so just over $30. That stock screw clamp setup might come in handy for something at some point, so I'm hanging onto it...
Ben Carufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:36 AM   #34
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,359
I've never been one to spend the money when there is a zero cost way to do the job. This is my bike bench - made from a narrowed quad bike container and some left over construction ply....I paid for the coach bolts and paint. It doesn't collapse,but I have different height legs....but never changed them,this height is perfect. The front wheel chock is very solid construction - it lifts off and I use it in my van (no longer) and in my trailer for transporting bikes.

My workshop is a lot more cluttered now. Getting a big bike up takes help from wife and kids - I plan to make an electric winch one day....but the wife and kids are free,and you know my policy.....

motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:44 AM   #35
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Most of those table lifts I've used are as bad on the back as having the bike on the ground is bad for the knees. I'm 5'6", and I have to lean over the ones with wide platforms. Eventually I'll build one. But if money were no object, I'd look at the Kendon:

http://www.kendonusa.com/lifts.html

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:11 AM   #36
Beamer Bum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Another made in USA option

I have used an Atlas lift for several years. http://excel-equipment.com/motorcycl...ycle-lift.html I got the XLT model with side extensions. It gets used for more than motorcycles. ATVs, snowmobiles, lawn mowers, sno blowers... have all been on mine. Take the extensions off and you are nice and close to the bike. The side extensions also make a decent shelf. (upper left in photo)

Old 11-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #37
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutoflahonda View Post
Most of those table lifts I've used are as bad on the back as having the bike on the ground is bad for the knees. I'm 5'6", and I have to lean over the ones with wide platforms. Eventually I'll build one. But if money were no object, I'd look at the Kendon:

http://www.kendonusa.com/lifts.html

Exactly the same reason I have a Kendon, plus I have limited room, takes up no more room that the bike itself.
Only issue with a twin rail system like the Kendon is it eliminates the possibility of using a centre stand on a bike so equipped. Purchase of the optional engine jack does well though.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #38
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Yeah, I was looking at a way to weld or bolt on a plate for the Kendon.

I have a couple of old solid bed rails I think I'm going to use. Then cut wood and lay it between the rails that I can remove as needed. I'll use a cheap electric wench to lift the whole thing from the ceiling. Haven't come up with a good way for legs yet tho.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #39
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
I've never been one to spend the money when there is a zero cost way to do the job. This is my bike bench - made from a narrowed quad bike container and some left over construction ply....I paid for the coach bolts and paint. It doesn't collapse,but I have different height legs....but never changed them,this height is perfect. The front wheel chock is very solid construction - it lifts off and I use it in my van (no longer) and in my trailer for transporting bikes.

My workshop is a lot more cluttered now. Getting a big bike up takes help from wife and kids - I plan to make an electric winch one day....but the wife and kids are free,and you know my policy.....
This is pretty much what I want my wooden table to be. I'll make it with screws so I can take it apart when done.

Russ
Tuscon
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #40
Martian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkens View Post
I'll never forget seeing a freighter steaming into Elliot Bay (Seattle) delivering container cranes made in Shanghai, China...to be installed at the Port of Seattle...to unload more plastic crap from China. The US doesn't even make the cranes needed to unload all those imports from Asia.

These are the cranes mfd. by Zen Jua Port Machinery being shipped to the Port of Seattle. I was dumbfounded both at the fact that the boat didn't tip over and that we had to import these cranes. The cranes are about 200' wide and the ship is about 750' long.

Those Chinese are pretty smart. They get paid for the infrastructure so we can import more crap from them. Gotta hand it to 'em, but I don't have to like it.
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
http://frommars.smugmug.com
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #41
slowinfastout
6 x 275cc

Oddometer: 1,477
My new Handy Lift (standard model with optional vise) arrived today. I have to say, its MUCH nicer than what I thought it would be from the photos, this thing is very well made. I'm quite impressed with the build quality and design, looks like it will last longer than I will, and much more stout than the Harbor Freight model I was looking at last week. While I like the HF for $ 300 on sale, I absolutely love the Handy even though its 3x the price. My back feels better already....Recommended.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #42
slowinfastout
6 x 275cc

Oddometer: 1,477
One more angle
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #43
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Slowinfastout...nice looking bike and the lift does look like a nice piece of equipment. But, about your garage, all neat, clean and organized.....it's guys like you that just make it tough on the rest of us

Lynn
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #44
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowinfastout View Post
My new Handy Lift (standard model with optional vise) arrived today. I have to say, its MUCH nicer than what I thought it would be from the photos, this thing is very well made. I'm quite impressed with the build quality and design, looks like it will last longer than I will, and much more stout than the Harbor Freight model I was looking at last week. While I like the HF for $ 300 on sale, I absolutely love the Handy even though its 3x the price. My back feels better already....Recommended.

Never mind the Handy lift, the Guzzi Daytona, frickin' very cool bike!!!!

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:49 PM   #45
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
In the same boat

Also looking at fixing my twisted GS PD and getting a lift. Just earlier last night I found this. I don't know much about lifts but it looks real sweet.

Quote:
while built-in retractable swivel casters gives you the power to move this motorcycle lift with ease—even when it’s loaded to capacity
http://www.babco.ca/Automotive-Equip...nger-RML-750HD
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote