Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #376
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post
Probably not... but given the insurance rates here in BC, I'll stick with the smaller displacement models for now.
you realize the 800cc or more bikes are not that much more in BC..ICBC just hates insuring bikes in general and they screw us no matter what displacement.....have a look sometime and you will see bigger does not mean you will pay that much more....we PAY way too much to begin with..
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #377
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,932
very nice....IN

maybe this year will do it.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #378
Liebchen & Izzy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
KTM blog

I did ask Q earlier which one he liked better the 950 adv he had or the new SE.....theat SE looks really fun but I'm probably going to end up getting one like MAG
There are no bad roads... just bad bikes.
Liebchen & Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #379
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,631
Great RR guys glad you all made it home safely and thanks for letting me tag along (Vicariously)
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #380
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Oddometer: 254
Thanks Q & Mag

OK, I'm really late to this one and it's now an old thread, but thanks for taking me along yet again Questor! I love your ride reports, as they make me feel like I'm the third bike behind you guys! (But I'd drink all the spilled beer...)

As always well written, great descriptions and I love the places you go and the things you see. I for one love the human side of it also... my wife shows little interest in riding at this point, but just riding with my buddies sometimes makes me want to smash my head repeatedly into a highway sign. I recall the great Sandwich debate of 2010 in Rossland, B.C. One of us wanted Subway (Q will love that), the other wanted "a vegetarian deli" and my other buddy wanted a "pub lunch". We cruised up and down the 2 streets of the small town until we all wanted to kill each other, then ended up at Subway!

One of these days we'll all have to meet up - GISDood - I'm in Calgary so not too far - maybe one of these days all of us can meet up over here (or there, or ??). We have room for guests so feel free any time your are in Western Canada (eh?)

Thanks again, newly Desmodab, formerly SnowStrom
desmodab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #381
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
Wow! I am really late to this party Ed and ADV Mag, but am catching up on my reading since returning home. Good to see you two cover the playground. I know 95 % of those roads so well.. I am sorry you guys had a bit of an tit for tat but i believe that is just one of the issues that crop up on extended adventure expeditions, as a matter of fact while having lunch with Larrs and Heneretta down in Mexico this discussion cropped up as they too split up for a few days. They just needed a cool down period and needed to talk it out. BTW they told me to say Hi to you two.

You guys covered some serious ground; milage wise. Perhaps a little over zealous but hey, what's done, is done, and I am sure you will look back on this with fondness that you survived it; think of it as a DS Bootcamp

Well as I am now retired I have time and should come over to IF sometime for a chit chat. I have a place in Cascade and noticed you rode the single paved FS 474..... awesome 33 miles of no one (as an aside they just repaved it this past July.

Anyway I enjoyed the RR you guys. Oh Hi ya BigDog (Mark) when you coming back out?

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #382
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,083
Hello Idaho Sam.

Welcome back to Winter.
I'll have to check out your Mexico trip.

I think you're right when you said this trip was a bit over zealous.
The original plan was to do the loop out to the start of the pony express and head north, back to Idaho, but the KTM event was going on and I added it.
That may have been the extra stress. Suddenly we had longer days, and a schedule to keep.

This summer I'm not going to plan any big trips, except perhaps the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route, the Hells Canyon Gathering, (see you there Idaho Sam) and the circumnavigation of the Frank Church area. ( I know, those are both "big" routes. )

Instead of three weeks at a time on the road, they will be one week long trips stopping to see the sights and soak in hot springs along the way.

If you are ever in Idaho Falls, you've got a place to stay, and your bike has access to a full garage and tools.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #383
MotoAdventureGal
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 993
[QUOTE=Idahosam;18090603]
Well as I am now retired I have time and should come over to IF sometime for a chit chat. I have a place in Cascade and noticed you rode the single paved FS 474..... awesome 33 miles of no one (as an aside they just repaved it this past July.
[QUOTE]

Hey Sam, I definitely want to compare travel notes with you...preferably in person. I'm en route back to Idaho Falls right now after 5 months away...we should get together!

~MAG

My Year of Motorcycle Vagabonding Part B (Solo to South America)
MotoAdventureGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #384
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
Hello Idaho Sam.

Welcome back to Winter.
I'll have to check out your Mexico trip.

I think you're right when you said this trip was a bit over zealous.
The original plan was to do the loop out to the start of the pony express and head north, back to Idaho, but the KTM event was going on and I added it.
That may have been the extra stress. Suddenly we had longer days, and a schedule to keep.

This summer I'm not going to plan any big trips, except perhaps the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route, the Hells Canyon Gathering, (see you there Idaho Sam) and the circumnavigation of the Frank Church area. ( I know, those are both "big" routes. )

Instead of three weeks at a time on the road, they will be one week long trips stopping to see the sights and soak in hot springs along the way.

If you are ever in Idaho Falls, you've got a place to stay, and your bike has access to a full garage and tools.

Q~
Now that is the way to do it I may just take you up on stopping by. I need to research the Utah Discovery Route??. Also wanting to explore Bryce and Zion, Escalante too. BTW: when you guys announcing the Rally for this year? I know June but my schedule closing fast.

IDS

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #385
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,322
Life is good when into DS

Enjoyed this, a little personal drama is just flavoring of life.
Glad both of you are living it well.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #386
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,369
Quote:
I hope you all don't get the impression that I'm an absolute monster.

I wait for people at intersections. I double back if they don't appear.
I'm the navigator, the chef, and the mechanic.
I do tire changes. I change the oil. I keep the bikes running.
I've even spent over eight hours doing electrical upgrades on other peoples bikes in freezing temperatures so they can be ready for their next trip.

Sometimes I don't feel like my efforts are appreciated...
Q~
When can we ride together?..........

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #387
mathews42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Thank you for the RR

This was a great read! I enjoyed all of the pictures, and after lusting after your KTM 950 SE for 26 pages, I think that is the new dream bike! That cooking looked great too!
Beads in the headlight a Flying Aga Tale by Isabel Dyson I met these two travelers on their Journey from the UK to Alaska and through South America on a 1979 BMW R100RS. Their book is now on Amazon for Kindle.
mathews42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #388
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,083
I'm just going to do the shameless "self-bump" because this was an epic trip and...

Well nothing has been the same since.
Such good times... such good memories.

Nothing remains as it was.
Nothing will ever be the same.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #389
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,281
Yes it was! Hope you are doing well and how come no new reports from you? Aren't you riding?
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #390
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,999
Quote:
I'm just going to do the shameless "self-bump" because this was an epic trip and...
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote