ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #61
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
A few thoughts:

1) I doubt that there is any copyright or patent or trademark infringement.

2) Would you buy from somebody selling a ripoff where you didn't know how well it has been tested or designed?
Some sense at last!

In time it may be that in time the copy proves at least as durable and functional as the original; they may innovate in new ways such that in 5 years time you're all singing their praises and calling the original the boring overpriced version for snobs!

But right now the original has a perceived and probably real head start in understanding what exactly makes for a good example of this bastard child of a pair of panniers and a pair of trousers with the ankles tied off and a drawstring through the belt loops.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #62
Almost There
Up, up, and away

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
bullshit,,total bullshit!
look at Mercedes,, innovation after life saving innovation,,and they willingly give their technology away, hoping it will be copied. Hasn't hurt, but helped their bottom line.
Sure,,you can get the cheaper copy,,but you can only buy the original item, if you buy it for the quality.
As said before,,the GL guys did hands on testing, take it out and ride it!toss that idea, try another,,for years of development time invested.

I'm not in the need of another luggage system, but I would not buy a cheap imitation of a parachute, a heart re-suss machine, or a copy-catted Giant Loop bag system.
I don't think anybody is doubting the quailty of the GL or even comparing quality between the two. All I'm saying is that it is nice to have options. Blatantly copying an idea is shitty but if that idea wasn't patented what can you do.

Obviously GL created and filled the demand for a product. If it wasn't a good idea nobody would copy it. Now they just need to adapt and innovate. That isn't a bad thing.
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #63
brp2004
Orygun

Oddometer: 200
Gl

[QUOTE=Almost There;17315249]I don't think anybody is doubting the quailty of the GL or even comparing quality between the two. All I'm saying is that it is nice to have options. Blatantly copying an idea is shitty but if that idea wasn't patented what can you do.

You can start by not buying the copied product. Blatantly copying a product does not pass the smell test in my humble opinion. Everyone complains about the demise of manufacturing and family wage jobs in this country and yet they support the Made in China campaign.
brp2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #64
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,302
If we had a crystal ball calculator that knew everything, we could find out what the price of GL's products would be including the costs of fully vested patents, [assuming they qualified] tradmark, copyright, and any other legal protections available and appropriate to their product line.

So far, so good: then add in the legal costs of defending those rights in the case of a breach.

How much would the gear cost at the volumes they shove thru currently? I don't know, i'm asking.

My gut tells me that low-volume "custom line" producers in the end have to rely on customer loyalty or they opt to sell out to Megacorp.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #65
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
For many years I eeked out a living working as a professional photographer in a small town. There's really nothing quite like seeing your work, being used by a large company in a national advertising campaign completely without permission while you yourself are literally trying to scrounge change for a cheeseburger.

20 years later I was designing real-estate websites, and found that a competitor had literally copied every single map and image on our search engine, AND they were hot-linking to our photographs. (and you can't copyright a map btw)

And I guess my point is that was totally small-time shit. Theft is theft, and theft is wrong. Simple as that. You people that support it, are just broken, there's something wrong with you at a very deep level.

IP is not bullshit, people that create works deserve to reap the benefit of that work. If you think you can do it better, then go do it better.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #66
bogus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
gl

wow you left coasters sure can get get snarley ! here on the right coast{ epicenter of nasty lawyers} if it ain't got a patent it's fair game , tough noogies period !
Old 11-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #67
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Considering the size of market, cost, and ass pain to actually be awarded a patent .... most soft goods are not patented leaving a door wide open for being copied. When this happens it forces one to become more competive based on brand recognition, price, quality, and service.

It's not uncommon to see small overseas manufactures fall short when attempting to penetrate our markets direct by failing to make the neccessary investments. They disappear after they fail to deliver quality, service, and adequate distribution.

...... and patents are only as good as the amount of money you're willing to spend in their defense.

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #68
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21 View Post
Yes, GL products are designed right here in Bend and made in Los Angeles, Ca.

edit: Hey, these Nomad Rider fools have a Facebook page. Feel free to tell them how you feel about their ripped off product ideas...https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nomad...520883?sk=wall
I posted a question in Facebook asking if these are GL bags and they said no.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0520883&type=1

So, there is no product copying going on

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #69
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
I posted a question in Facebook asking if these are GL bags and they said no.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0520883&type=1

So, there is no product copying going on

Yeah, no copying at all . Different color, different weight fabric and some of the stitching in the cheap bag is already starting to separate.

Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #70
KTM450SX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
They keep deleting any comments that mention Giant Loop in their youtube shit ad.

I don't care if people want to improve a product design...whatever they didn't do shit all the straps are the same place everything the same. Bunch of lazy dick heads trying to cash in on otherpeoples hard work.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #71
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM450SX View Post
They keep deleting any comments that mention Giant Loop in their youtube shit ad.

I don't care if people want to improve a product design...whatever they didn't do shit all the straps are the same place everything the same. Bunch of lazy dick heads trying to cash in on otherpeoples hard work.
There is legal and then there is ethical. If we're going to discuss the later, we'll be here a long time.

I recall asking GL a long time ago (when the initial bag came out) if they had better pictures of their bag installed. They told me they didn't want to make more detailed pics available as they were worried people would copy the design. I always thought this was a very odd thing to worry about. If the product is successful it's going to be copied and people are going to be copying it based on buying a bag and inspecting it up close, not based on some pictures off a website.

Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. It enlarges the market for a design moving it from the idea of just one company into the mainstream, generating more interest. GL is free to market themselves as the original and to market themselves as a premium version, a Mercedes vs a Skoda.

If GL really doesn't like this, I hope they applied for patent protection when they came up with the horseshoe design. Is it often impractical to enforce said protection, yes. This sucks but it's reality. You bring a product to market in the world we have, not the world we would like

I have to say I find the fact that they are asking, and apparantly succeeding at getting other sellers banned from here for selling clones to be interesting.

I personally wouldn't buy the knock off bag, I bet quality is lower, price doesn't seem sufficiently better, GL is made locally, they have proven post sales support and the money funds new design but I think other people should be allowed to make their own purchasing decisions based on their own moral compass without being told what to do! That said, I don't pay the bills to keep this place running so if GL can convince those that do, more power to them!

Just my 2c

crazybrit screwed with this post 11-17-2011 at 02:08 PM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #72
KTM450SX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YBSN_KDeVA

Don't bother posting the comments unless its fake review/bs they will just delete them.

I will just make sure any friends that are looking for a bag get the GiantLoop and not some chinese bullshit clone version.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #73
Almost There
Up, up, and away

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM450SX View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YBSN_KDeVA

Don't bother posting the comments unless its fake review/bs they will just delete them.

I will just make sure any friends that are looking for a bag get the GiantLoop and not some chinese bullshit clone version.
That is my new method of doing tire changes.
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #74
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
There is legal and then there is ethical. If we're going to discuss the later, we'll be here a long time.

Geez....didn't the Penn State Police and Attorney General say the same thing about Joe Paterno? And the Athletic Director. And the University president? Not much debate there. Something about "legal versus moral".
Old 11-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #75
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
So, who here thinks that Nomad aquired the Giant Loop design honestly?
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote