ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #91
obrianmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
you get what you pay for.
Very, Very, Very true!

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #92
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,816
I had a product and was promoting it. I was told that a patent was nearly useless, on my product, (to easy to copy with a small change). One piece of advice given to me was to flood the market and when it gets copied, get out. Another was to sell 10 thousand cheap copies to WallMart at a $1000 for each unit. The other end was to capture a higher market and up the price to $6000, with quality and service.

My guess is Giant Loop has captured the ADV market. Or rather, "had" the ADV market. I never would have known about the alterantive, but for this thread.

thetourist screwed with this post 11-19-2011 at 11:48 AM
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #93
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetourist View Post

My guess is Giant Loop has captured the ADV market. Or rather, "had" the ADV market.

My guess is you're wrong. We'll see what inmates get for used Nomad bags when they show up in the Flea market. It will be interesting to read the replies when some idjit says "Just like a GL, but cheaper."

Old 11-20-2011, 06:08 AM   #94
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
My guess is you're wrong. We'll see what inmates get for used Nomad bags when they show up in the Flea market. It will be interesting to read the replies when some idjit says "Just like a GL, but cheaper."

But surely what you're all moaning about IS PRECISELY that they are "Just like a GL, but cheaper."?

Make up your minds, is it too close a copy of the original, or not close enough?
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #95
Aquanout
Hooliganantic

Oddometer: 748
...nevermind.
Aquanout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #96
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
But surely what you're all moaning about IS PRECISELY that they are "Just like a GL, but cheaper."?

Not what I'm arguing, in *any* case.

Is Chinese drywall "Just like U.S. Gypsum wallboard, but cheaper"? (If you don't know the answer to that...you can't play.)

If someone truly believes the copycat (Nomad) said to his manufacturer "Make sure you use the same high-quality thread and materials tht GL uses, and spend at least as much time making each individual piece, and then carefully do quality control before we ship it to our customer, then I hope you're living in a home with Chinese drywall because you're getting just what you thought you paid for.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #97
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
If someone truly believes the copycat (Nomad) said to his manufacturer "Make sure you use the same high-quality thread and materials tht GL uses, and spend at least as much time making each individual piece, and then carefully do quality control before we ship it to our customer, then I hope you're living in a home with Chinese drywall because you're getting just what you thought you paid for.
I've got a friend who works for a major US manufacturer and has to go to China every couple of months to supervise new product production. I don't think it works quite like the above. The US "manufacturer" specs a certain level of quality, the Chinese contractor bids a price and then over time they try and cut corners to increase their margins. I'll bet this happens wherever you produce goods. This is where QC becomes vital. The problem with Chinese made goods is that the manufacturers who decide to outsource there have a cost cutting mentality all across the board, so they cut corners on QC also.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #98
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Oddometer: 8,427
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YBSN_KDeVA

How come nobody metioned that the forklift driver felt so good about the product that he was wearing a ski mask with his t-shirt?!

Big Girl insists on using only the best!

I think you'd look like less of an ass if you'd shut the fuck up more often. Boondoggle

kwisn screwed with this post 11-21-2011 at 10:53 AM
kwisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #99
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,341
A Giant Loop on a KLR.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #100
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisn View Post

How come nobody metioned that the forklift driver felt so good about the product that he was wearing a ski mask with his t-shirt?!

Big Girl insists on using only the best!
looks like the shadow of the fork lift's mast to me. i blew it up to see, red cap + shadow = ski mask ?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #101
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
That's pretty damned funny. But in the interest of fairness, them GL guys are always masked (for no apparent reason) when demoing their products too. "same thing"

And here's a shot of Harold on a forklift with more 320 pounds or so of stuff in his bag

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #102
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
That's pretty damned funny. But in the interest of fairness, them GL guys are always masked (for no apparent reason) when demoing their products too. "same thing"

And here's a shot of Harold on a forklift with more 320 pounds or so of stuff in his bag

That right there is The Professor, not Harold.

Still a lot of shite on that bimmer though!

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #103
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
Nice try, but I'm pretty sure that his face is just obscured by the shadow from the upper bar of the forklift.

Quote:

On another note I asked about NR's bag via the eBay "Ask a question" link:

Me:
"Good looking bag. Is this the same design as the Giant Loop Great Basin (http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collect...in-saddlebag)? What are the materials the bag is constructed out of?"

Them:
"It is a horse shoe type bag, similiar to the GL bag however we have added additional straps on the back for extra gear, as well as side pockets for quick access items. You can see more info at nomad rider dot com. Please let us know if you have any questions."

Notice that I specifically did not ask about them ripping off GL's design/idea.

Disclaimer, I do not own any Giant Loops products or know any of the folks associated with the company, but I have benefited from the packing adviseand other things gleaned from their blog. I also do not own any products from Nomad Rider or know any of the people associated with that business either.

IF I were in the market for such a bag I would look for the option that had the highest quality of work. Although price is a factor, so is the potential longevity of the manufacturer as well as expected product support in the future. If there is ever a problem with the product, who is going to make it right? The company directly involved in the design and manufacture or a company that has copies of design made overseas? Who do you send the bag into for repair/warranty? I would suspect that Giant Loop would win on that front.

- Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #104
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,408
No horse in this race, but, that guy on the forklift is not wearing any type of mask

However it is funny that they have obviously erased many comments on that Youtube page that were asking about the bags being a GL copy...check out the GE toaster reply.

My friend had one of these before I ever heard of GL, and it appears to be a "horseshoe-type bag."

And maybe it inspired the original GL design, don't know. I have heard only good things about GL, so I am sure that people who want their quality will continue to pay the prices asked. It is obvious that the Nomad bags were copied from the GL bags, and perhaps the quality is crap. I'd honestly love to see an unbiased test of the two products. Much like it was when pro-link and full floater mono-shock mx bikes were compared.

Someone has to be first. Someone has to be best. Someone has to be cheaper. Most times, they are not always the same manufacturer.

Some folks would love to buy an Aerostitch but can only afford a cheaper, Tourmaster copy that may look identical, but are worlds apart in quality. I personally am not going to walk to up the guy wearing that cheap Tourmaster copy of an Aerostitch and chew his ass for being poor and not just wearing a denim jacket until he can afford the real deal. And not just because I happen to own a Tourmaster jacket

Of course, all of this becomes a bit more cloudy because I do believe we should be buying American more and more these days.

I wish the guys at GL continued success, and look forward to seeing how they respond to the competition. Because like it or not, Nomad is the competition and people will buy those bags.

oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #105
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
No horse in this race, but, that guy on the forklift is not wearing any type of mask

However it is funny that they have obviously erased many comments on that Youtube page that were asking about the bags being a GL copy...check out the GE toaster reply.

My friend had one of these before I ever heard of GL, and it appears to be a "horseshoe-type bag."

And maybe it inspired the original GL design, don't know. I have heard only good things about GL, so I am sure that people who want their quality will continue to pay the prices asked. It is obvious that the Nomad bags were copied from the GL bags, and perhaps the quality is crap. I'd honestly love to see an unbiased test of the two products. Much like it was when pro-link and full floater mono-shock mx bikes were compared.

Someone has to be first. Someone has to be best. Someone has to be cheaper. Most times, they are not always the same manufacturer.

Some folks would love to buy an Aerostitch but can only afford a cheaper, Tourmaster copy that may look identical, but are worlds apart in quality. I personally am not going to walk to up the guy wearing that cheap Tourmaster copy of an Aerostitch and chew his ass for being poor and not just wearing a denim jacket until he can afford the real deal. And not just because I happen to own a Tourmaster jacket

Of course, all of this becomes a bit more cloudy because I do believe we should be buying American more and more these days.

I wish the guys at GL continued success, and look forward to seeing how they respond to the competition. Because like it or not, Nomad is the competition and people will buy those bags.

I had one of those bags. As a matter of fact I was using it on the very first "Giant Loop" ride I ever went on with Dave Wachs, GL grand poobah. He was using the very first prototype GL bag. The Wolfie bag (Alpha I think it was called??) worked okay but while Dave was riding away I was again pulling over to secure my load. Really not even close in design as far as "horseshoe" shaped bags go and would really not stay put for our type of riding.

On a related note, after speaking with Dave a few times on the phone this past week and getting some background intel on the debacle at hand I think you guys would be kind of blown away at the level of douchery Gonad Rider has achieved. This thing doesn't begin or end at the doors of Giant Loop. Direwolf may have this same info...

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote