Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2011, 07:08 AM   #31
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,559
FYI, I did a similar project about 8-9 years ago, except I used an RD400 front wheel at 19" with a Ducati rotor on the front. I ran a Maxxis medium compound dirt track tire on the front. The rear I spooned 150/70/18 tire on the stock rim. I found a set of RM125 forks for the front that set me back almost $50.

I ended up finishing the season 5th in points with a best 3rd place finish during the race. This was against an ever increasing field of 250 4-strokes with 17's.

papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #32
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
FYI, I did a similar project about 8-9 years ago, except I used an RD400 front wheel at 19" with a Ducati rotor on the front. I ran a Maxxis medium compound dirt track tire on the front. The rear I spooned 150/70/18 tire on the stock rim. I found a set of RM125 forks for the front that set me back almost $50.

I ended up finishing the season 5th in points with a best 3rd place finish during the race. This was against an ever increasing field of 250 4-strokes with 17's.

Lobster, where do you run? Do they have a class for slow-ass dogs like my 250L?
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #33
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,559
Used to. Road America Briggs and Stratton Motorplex. They used to have 2 races a month, but now down to 2 a year I think. I took a bit of a tumble in June 06 and hung er up.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #34
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarale View Post
A pic or two would be great. I'm starting to wonder if I got a wheel from something else? Katana maybe?

EDIT: Well, after your post I started looking at pics of other GS500 wheels for sale on Ebay. The cush hub/sprocket carrier doesn't look to be the same. No wonder the effin wheel won't fit.

OtherBart, any chance you could take a quick measurement from the inside surface of the sprocket to the lip of the rim itself?

That measures out right at 1" on mine. I have some pictures uploading now, I'll post them in a minute.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #35
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Chain side:

Brake side:
Old 12-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #36
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,429
Quote:
Maybe a plastic skidplate from an 08+ KLR650? Got one laying around, just let me know.
Klicker, thanks for the offer. A plastic one is actually a good idea but I just swapped my skidplate for a factory one which should be a good bit lighter and fits right in...[/QUOTE]

The skid plate you had on the bike was a very coveted one. It is the lightest of the aftermarket plates and had the rear mounting tabs at the factory location. Hope you didn't swap directly for a stock plate as those are a dime a dozen. E-bay for less than 20. You could probably get close to 100 bucks for that skid. I was about to offer you my extra stocker for the cost of shipping.

My buddy has one, and I ogoggle over it all the time.
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #37
dbarale OP
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
Road America Briggs and Stratton Motorplex.
Perfect venue for farm equipment like the ole DR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
The skid plate you had on the bike was a very coveted one. It is the lightest of the aftermarket plates and had the rear mounting tabs at the factory location. Hope you didn't swap directly for a stock plate as those are a dime a dozen. E-bay for less than 20. You could probably get close to 100 bucks for that skid. I was about to offer you my extra stocker for the cost of shipping.

My buddy has one, and I ogoggle over it all the time.
I didn't get quite $100 for it but I got a fair deal. Thanks Rubberband!
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #38
Toscana1
Younger by the ride.

Oddometer: 30
Just curious. Was pressure washing it first not an option? Were you afraid what was holding it all together would get washed away? Good luck to ya!
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember it was a lone amateur that built the Ark and a large team of professionals that built the Titanic." Dave Barry. '98 DR650SE, '71 Vespa 150 Sprint, '00 TTR225, '05 CRF250X
Toscana1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:34 AM   #39
dbarale OP
Squiddly slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toscana1 View Post
Just curious. Was pressure washing it first not an option? Were you afraid what was holding it all together would get washed away? Good luck to ya!
Pressure washing was the plan but I got a little excited and started tearing it apart, and it didn't happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
That measures out right at 1" on mine. I have some pictures uploading now, I'll post them in a minute.
Thanks a lot! After you posted that I did some more digging. Turns out I do have a Katana 600 rear wheel. Apparently the wheel is about the same but with a different hub and lighter casting.
So, if I can find a GS500 cush hub I would be able to move the entire thing to the left 17mm. That gives me a 4mm wheel offset, which is fine with me. That also centers the tire in the swingarm and would allow a slightly larger tire (140 or 150?). I still wouldn't be able to run the DR rear brake but I may not have to grind the swingarm to clear the rotor. I might just follow your lead afterall and just swap calipers if I want to go back to dirt setup.
I just need to score on a GS500 hub and caliper setup on the cheap as the engine parts depleted my budget for now, but at least that part of the project is back on track.

I also got a call yesterday and my piston is in. I'll swing by the shop today and see about getting the cylinder bored out...
Old 12-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #40
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks a lot! After you posted that I did some more digging. Turns out I do have a Katana 600 rear wheel. Apparently the wheel is about the same but with a different hub and lighter casting.
So, if I can find a GS500 cush hub I would be able to move the entire thing to the left 17mm. That gives me a 4mm wheel offset, which is fine with me. That also centers the tire in the swingarm and would allow a slightly larger tire (140 or 150?). I still wouldn't be able to run the DR rear brake but I may not have to grind the swingarm to clear the rotor. I might just follow your lead afterall and just swap calipers if I want to go back to dirt setup.
I just need to score on a GS500 hub and caliper setup on the cheap as the engine parts depleted my budget for now, but at least that part of the project is back on track.

I also got a call yesterday and my piston is in. I'll swing by the shop today and see about getting the cylinder bored out...
Glad to hear you're getting it sorted. It seems like GS500 parts are a dime a dozen, I'll bet you won't have any trouble rounding up what you need.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #41
pookiebear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 936
besides the cool factor of having 17s. If I was to do it again on a dr350 I would just put some avon road riders on the stock rims and call it a day.
The gs500 front rim will center up. But you will need a relocator bracket.
the rear gs500 rim needs to be ground or machined down on the sprocket side. I used the gs500 rotor and caliper. and made an arm for it. If you take the wheel bearings out of the stock dr350 rear wheel they will go in the gs500 wheel and mate up. Use the dr350 spacer in between the bearings with a washer or two to take up the slack. I used washers for spacers front and back because I am cheap.

good luck. great bikes.
pookiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #42
dbarale OP
Squiddly slow

Small update, I found a local motorcycle junkyard today and got a front wheel (Katana 750 with dual discs), a GS500 caliper hanger, and a hub for $40. As a bonus the bearings and the tire are good...
Did some quick fitting tests and it looks much, much better. Seems like I could end up with only a 2mm offset and not have to grind the swingarm!
The timing chain, valves and guide also came in. The guide is the wrong one but it's not worth sending back, so I'll be replacing both.

dbarale screwed with this post 12-08-2011 at 06:31 PM
Old 12-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #43
dbarale OP
Squiddly slow

Needed:
- full gasket set
- timing chain
- GS500 front wheel
- GS500 rear wheel
- tires
- mirror
- front cam chain guide
- suspension linkage needle bearing and hem joint
- seat cover

Wanted:
- XR style tailight
- SM front fender
- factory clutch perch and lever (the ratio on this one seems to be all wrong)
- maybe a lighter skidplate
- SS front brake line
- fork brace
Old 12-09-2011, 05:14 AM   #44
rubberband
Will ride for tacos

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Needed:
- full gasket set
- timing chain
- GS500 front wheel
- GS500 rear wheel
- tires
- mirror
- front cam chain guide
- suspension linkage needle bearing and hem joint
- seat cover

Wanted:
- XR style tailight
- SM front fender
- factory clutch perch and lever (the ratio on this one seems to be all wrong)
- maybe a lighter skidplate
- SS front brake line
- fork brace
I have a stock yellow and purple seat cover i'd send you if you want it.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:21 AM   #45
dbarale OP
Squiddly slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberband View Post
I have a stock yellow and purple seat cover i'd send you if you want it.
Heck yeah, thanks a lot, that would be much better than the "custom-camo-fabric-hiding-a-hole" seat that is now on the bike!