Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #46
dbarale OP
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,029
Small update, progress has been slow lately. Between a crazy work schedule and the approaching holidays I cannot find much time to work on this project...

Yesterday I was finally able to re-bore the cylinder. Turns out we didn't have the correct size cutter for an 80mm bore. So I removed a full mm on the honing machine (rigid hone). Took about three hours...

The good news is that it turned out great. Wiseco recommends .002 over piston size. My machinist said .0025 would probably be better for an air cooled thumper. The cylinder, after final honing is at .0024 to .0026 all the way around. (Sorry no pics. My camera would not catch the nice 60 deg honing pattern).

The rings are also perfectly gaped out of the box.

New piston, sexy:

I removed the carbon from the head and soda-blasted it. Then lapped the new valves:

I also did some random small stuff on the frame. Re-welded the kick stand bracket and filed it to size, and cleaned, lubed and re-assembled the suspension linkage. Was hoping to get the frame ready for paint as it was 60F here today but it didn't happen.

I'll try to work on the engine this weekend but I'm still waiting on the cam chain guide so I will not be able to button it back up...
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:27 AM   #47
rubberband
Will ride for tacos

Oddometer: 361
Great to see progress.... your seat cover is in the mail.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #48
dbarale OP
Squiddly slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberband View Post
Great to see progress.... your seat cover is in the mail.
Thanks a lot. Merry Christmas to me!

Again, not much progress.
Installed the piston and new cam chain, and clearanced the clutch basket. Re-installed the clutch and torqued down the shift drum bolt. Replaced a bumch of random seals. That's about it...

Slowest progress ever.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #49
rubberband
Will ride for tacos

Oddometer: 361
Old 12-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #50
M@gneto
Esoteric Meanderer

Oddometer: 285
Dr350sm

Great thread. I recently picked up one that had already been converted. Mine has Excell wheels laced into the stock hubs. It rides great, but I am yet to give it any real distance rides.
Mag
Attached Images

It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
M@gneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:00 AM   #51
dbarale OP
Squiddly slow

Thanks for the inspiration. Nothing to report other than I did receive a new fancy seat cover from Rubberband.

I did get to spend some time with my family and the DR sat untouched for a week. Might get back on it next week... Once I get the frame painted and receive the couple engine parts I'm still missing it should move a lot quicker.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #52
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,368
tdrrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #53
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,710
Nice work so far.I am a GS500 fan.I own 4 and I have enough frames to build 6.I'm also a fan of the DR bikes.I just missed a nearly new black 650 and a new blue 200.I was sad.Anyway,you can still hit the dirt with 17 inch wheels running dual sport tires.Just not a big selection of tires.Some people run narrow rear tires on the front.Good luck with the rest of the project.I'll be watching along.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #54
dbarale OP
Squiddly slow

I have not yet given up...

Had a warn sunny day and I painted the frame, no more '80's blue:

I also gave the swingarm a good scrubbing, along with the suspension linkage and re-lubed all the bearings. Ready to re-assemble:

Gratituous pic of my new (to me) Barney seat cover. I thought about dyeing it black but it's starting to grow on me. We'll see:

I finally received the cam chain guide and kickstarter spring I was missing to wrap-up the engine. That will be next, well, as soon as I get over this stupid cold that has me pinned in bed for the past two days... Oh well, at least the project is still alive.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #55
dbarale OP
Squiddly slow

Update, just in case anyone is still watching this.

Engine is all back together. Frame is back on the jack, swingarm and all of the rear suspension is installed, lubed and torqued. No play, no clunks, just smooth and tight...

Goal for tomorrow is to adjust the valves, clean up the engine a bit and put it back in the frame. Maybe service the steering head bearings and re-install the triple clamps, we'll see.

Pics tomorrow, for now:
Old 01-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #56
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 5,892
Still watching.....
Old 01-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #57
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,710
Looking forward to the payoff.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #58
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,289
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #59
robocog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
This thread inspired me to do the same to mine (although mine is a DR250)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10738

Happy with the results
I would ideally like to have the rear wheel machined to get it perfectly in line but it doesn't seem to affect the handling as far as I can tell - I will hawk it round the machine shops and see if I can get someone to do it for beer money
(if only it would fit in my lathe...LOL)

Have had to put the dirt wheels back on for now till I can afford a new rear tyre as my chosen rear wheel came with a very flat spotted and worn out one on

Regards
Rob
robocog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:20 AM   #60
dbarale OP
Squiddly slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocog View Post
This thread inspired me to do the same to mine (although mine is a DR250)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10738

Happy with the results
I would ideally like to have the rear wheel machined to get it perfectly in line but it doesn't seem to affect the handling as far as I can tell - I will hawk it round the machine shops and see if I can get someone to do it for beer money
(if only it would fit in my lathe...LOL)

Have had to put the dirt wheels back on for now till I can afford a new rear tyre as my chosen rear wheel came with a very flat spotted and worn out one on

Regards
Rob

Thanks a lot, these pics are the best step by step I've seen so far... What size tire are you running in the back?