ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #181
bigtex
Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer: 726
Well, you guys warned me that letting an ADVKid grow up on 4 wheels instead of 2 would tilt their sensibilities in unexpected ways.

LittleTex has chosen his first car:

61 Studebaker. Still 2 years before he can get a license, so we have a bunch of garage bonding ahead of us.

Gawd they grow up fast...

bigtex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #182
ben10281
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Just moved to Aurora, CO from MA looking for kid friendly trails in Front Range

Hello all,

Hoping to revive this thread and get some good info. I recently moved from Massachusetts to Aurora, CO and I am looking to get my son(5 yr old) into riding. I ride a Yamaha WR250x with dual sport tires that I am hoping to use for now as he learns to ride and I am either looking at getting him an OSET(electric trials bike) or the usual 50cc suspects(CRF/XR/PW/etc..). I would like to get the OSET because then he could use it around our neighborhood on a regular basis as well as on any bigger trips we might take.

Can anyone suggest kid friendly riding areas in the Front Range? Also, if anyone has some suggestions for Mtn bike areas I can take him on his bicycles that would be great too!

Thanks!
ben10281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #183
grizCP
DROC

Oddometer: 330
First off, I'm looking for any suggestions.... my son is totally resistant to wearing boots, which I'm sure is typical. Any tricks on getting little kids to accept safety gear that they find uncomfortable?

The Bro-man turned 4 a couple of weeks ago and declared that "now, I can ride with my feet up." He's doing pretty well... next step is obviously getting the touche off the seat. We are taking him to a trials event this weekend, so maybe he'll see other kids his age riding and get even more excited.

I have been working on a trials section and he wanted his own obstacles. So, we set up three piles of rock for him to go around.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:41 PM   #184
crob1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben10281 View Post
Hello all,

Hoping to revive this thread and get some good info. I recently moved from Massachusetts to Aurora, CO and I am looking to get my son(5 yr old) into riding. I ride a Yamaha WR250x with dual sport tires that I am hoping to use for now as he learns to ride and I am either looking at getting him an OSET(electric trials bike) or the usual 50cc suspects(CRF/XR/PW/etc..). I would like to get the OSET because then he could use it around our neighborhood on a regular basis as well as on any bigger trips we might take.

Can anyone suggest kid friendly riding areas in the Front Range? Also, if anyone has some suggestions for Mtn bike areas I can take him on his bicycles that would be great too!

Thanks!
It's been a while since we've been out there. I know the track has been through some changes lately, but I'd check out Watkins or Jewell MX or whatever it's called now, for a good place for your son to get some bike time in a controlled area.

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_51ba.htm
Old 09-15-2014, 06:04 AM   #185
29andSingle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by crob1 View Post
It's been a while since we've been out there. I know the track has been through some changes lately, but I'd check out Watkins or Jewell MX or whatever it's called now, for a good place for your son to get some bike time in a controlled area.

Track up near Erie has a great kids track.$15 a day but worth it if you want the kid to get in tons of riding without worrying about other riders.
29andSingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #186
ben10281
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crob1 View Post

Jewell is only 15 mins from my house, and they have a peewee track, sweet!! I took the little guy up to IMI Motorsports complex this past Saturday and it was great, motocross, streetbikes, and go carts in one day, he was in heaven!

Thanks for the advice!
ben10281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #187
MaParkerColo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Borrowed a couple of Honda's for the kids and took them out to Jewel last weekend. They had a blast, but I never even got mine off the trailer. If I could just get their mom on a 70 with an autoclutch I think we'd have it down

Action shot of the 6 year on the the little 50.

And the 11 year old learning about maintenance after riding

MaParkerColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #188
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,330
Getting bigger

modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:07 PM   #189
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,556
This is older daughter (now 15) back in 2007 after riding in the Youth Nationals at Sipapu. She was one of the first kids to compete on an OSET. I had to fab a crossbar pad out of socks and duct tape, and they let her slide on a disc guard.

Seven years later, on a Sherco 80 with 19/17 wheels at NMTA Lake Fork event 2014:

Not to be outdone by her big sister, Katy on her first ride at age 4:

... and at Lake Fork with no more training wheels:

Twin brother Kace had a nasty tankslapper in a section before this one, scared himself despite his brilliant save, and scampered back to camp. No pics.

ridenm screwed with this post 10-31-2014 at 04:45 PM
ridenm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:49 PM   #190
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm View Post
This is older daughter (now 15) back in 2007 after riding in the Youth Nationals at Sipapu. She was one of the first kids to compete on an OSET. I had to fab a crossbar pad out of socks and duct tape, and they let her slide on a disc guard.

Seven years later, on a Sherco 80 with 19/17 wheels at NMTA Lake Fork event 2014:

Not to be outdone by her big sister, Katy on her first ride at age 4:

... and at Lake Fork with no more training wheels:

Twin brother Kace had a nasty tankslapper in a section before this one, scared himself despite his brilliant save, and scampered back to camp. No pics.
Those are great pics, especially the last one.