ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #76
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,767
I've got a friend with some land out near Harsel. We've made a small track out there...

Track Day @ VK Ranch from Bob Vankirk on Vimeo.

Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #77
ktmdoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
anyone have a PW 50 or a small bike of any make suitable for a 7 yr old
03 600 Katana
01 KTM 200 exc wifes plated
ktmdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #78
farnhamstj
kool-aid drinker

Oddometer: 171
PW50's are really really small, suitable for 4-6 year old. Honda 50 is slightly larger and better choice for age 7, you will outgrow it by age 8. PW80 has the lowest seat height for a 70-80cc bike at 25" but the 2stroke can be a little intimidating for a first time rider. If your kid is tall for a 7 year old, Check out a Honda CRF70 as a great first bike.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #79
ktmdoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Good information to know. My granddaughter is small for age 7 and that is why I was thinking pw50. Now I can reconsider. What about weight?
03 600 Katana
01 KTM 200 exc wifes plated
ktmdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #80
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
PW80 has the lowest seat height for a 70-80cc bike at 25" but the 2stroke can be a little intimidating for a first time rider.
The PW80 comes with an exhaust restricter to tame the power. If you are looking for a used bike, the restricter has usually been removed and lost, but a replacement can be bought for about $8.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #81
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,894
Adv kids

Slightly off topic but I felt the need to brag. I took my 8 year old for his first ride on the Tigger today. We did about 50 miles and he had a great time. Next time I'll take pix.
Save $5 off your smugmug account with this coupon( 1qoLJk8tfsGWM )
Deano955 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #82
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,225
Here is one of Colter (7) on his ATV yesterday. It was closing day for Telluride, so we skied in the morning, then went to a nearby ranch for ATV's and fishing. Good day in Colorado!
MountainsandRivers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #83
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Oddometer: 1,428
Spring Break in Moab last week. My daughter Skyler (5) officially became a "Two wheeler" on her motorbike. 2-3 clothes changes a day...bit different than her Brother who would sleep in his gear if I let him!

Course Moab and the sand is not always the friendliest of environs for new riders. It was a teaching moment...your riding buddies (even Dad) will always take pictures first and help second!

My best friends kids and mine (the two in the middle), growing up riding. Kids LOVED it!

Certified SAE J1287 sound tester
Rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #84
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzilla View Post
...bit different than her Brother who would sleep in his gear if I let him!

My son's the same way.

Excellent pics. Looks like a great time.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #85
DARKTIMBER650
Often Cornfused

Oddometer: 34
Cit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm2good View Post
Good deal, my son was just accepted to be a CIT out at PV as well.He heard about 10 days ago he was confirmed. Did your son hear if he made it or not? Catalina Island ? that sounds like a cool summer camp.

He just sent his off last week, too much procrastinating (gets it from his mom ). But they said he should be able to get on no problem. We have several boys from our Troop working PV this year, including a former member coming back from Florida! Should be fun for them. What is your son's name (my son's name is Tristan Sauer), and I will have him keep an ear/eye out for him? We are holding his Eagle Court of Honor this Sunday, so now he can focus on having a fun summer!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #86
Basinburn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
AGE restrictions Kids

Just thought i would post this answer from George with "stay on the trial" org relating to age restrictions.
Essentialy saying on BLM/Forest service rds no age restriction
County property/rds..... make there own rules , so you need to check

Following are the Colorado regulations pertaining to your question:

#504 – OPERATION OF OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLES

a. Where the State, the United States, or any agency thereof, has designated any public street, road, or highway of this state open to off-highway vehicles or where local political subdivisions have authorized by ordinance or resolution the establishment of off-highway vehicle routes to permit the operation of off-highway vehicles on city streets or county roads pursuant to the authority granted in C.R.S. 33-14.5-108(1), or upon public land in this state, no person shall operate an off-highway vehicle while carrying any person or riding in any position that will interfere with the operation or control of an off-highway vehicle or the view of the operator.

b. Where the State, the United States, or any agency thereof, has designated any public street, road, or highway of this state open to off-highway vehicles or where local political subdivisions have authorized by ordinance or resolution the establishment of off-highway vehicle routes to permit the operation of off-highway vehicles on city streets or county roads pursuant to the authority granted in C.R.S. 33-14.5-108(1), no person under the age of ten years may operate an off-highway vehicle on such public street, road, or highway of this state or on such city street or county road. No person ten years of age or older may operate an off-highway vehicle on such public street, road, or highway of this state or on such city street or county road unless:

1. The person has in his possession a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Colorado or another state; or

2. The person is accompanied by and under the immediate supervision of a person who has in his possession a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Colorado or another state. The phrase “under immediate supervision” shall mean that, at a minimum, the unlicensed operator is within direct visual contact of the licensed supervisor.

These regulations pertain to any "public street, road, or highway open to off-highway vehicles." What is important to realize is that all state highways, and most county roads, are closed to OHVs that are not licensed. ATVs and Side-By-Sides can't be licensed in Colorado at this time. There are a few counties and towns that allow ATVs and Side-By-Sides on some of their roads. You have to check with each jurisdiction. You can't assume that there is adequate signage in the field. BLM and Forest Service primitive roads do not have have the same restrictions as the "public" roads. You would be able to let you child ride on those roads and not be ticketed. Remember, though, that every OHV operating on designated motorized routes on public lands must have a state OHV registration or non-resident OHV permit for each vehicle. Also, with apologies for stating the obvious, we always highly recommend that everyone operating an OHV, but especially children, wear helmets, over-the-ankle boots, and other protective gear. We also discourage having passengers on ATVs unless specifically designed for "two up" riding. It can result in very unsafe situations.

I hope this gives you a clear answer to your question. Thanks for checking in with the web site.

George

George Vonesh
Responsible Recreation Foundation
OHV Education, Ethics, and Science
~In Colorado, We Stay The Trail~
LT50 Daughters
Basinburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #87
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 4,944
Well, its official. My daughter Aven (5) will be the first person in my family to own brand spanking new motorcycle. Just arrived today, an OSET!!! The wife and girls have been out of town for a week. They get home tonight and I'm going to have it sitting in her room for a mega surprise. She has no idea!!!
Stay tuned for pics of the happiest 5 year old in Placerville!!!

enduro-ince is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #88
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,225
So she is the reason for the snow currently? Ha ha.. That is awesome! Look us up if you go to Moab this weekend...probably be around sand flats.
MountainsandRivers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #89
Downhill Dave
Busco aventura

Oddometer: 622
Phew!

Thank goodness she's kinda ATGATT (bunny helmet) cuz that stroller crash in the background looks nasty
Downhill Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #90
BuilderScott OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro-ince View Post
Well, its official. My daughter Aven (5) will be the first person in my family to own brand spanking new motorcycle. Just arrived today, an OSET!!! The wife and girls have been out of town for a week. They get home tonight and I'm going to have it sitting in her room for a mega surprise. She has no idea!!!
Stay tuned for pics of the happiest 5 year old in Placerville!!!

Cool! I'm interested in getting Henry an Oset in another year or so... But he needs to master this first:
BuilderScott is offline   Reply With Quote