Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #211
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
I'm sure we could figure out the exact tensile strength of the adjuster bolts, if we knew more info about them, and we'd be blown away by some huge number of pounds they can handle. For me, it was enough to see that they can handle the huge forces the engine puts on them through the chain and sprockets (gear reduced no less!) The chain adjuster blocks don't add any shear forces on the adjuster bolts as they are machined to fit inside the swingarm. The weight of the trailer is minute compared to what those bolts put up with from the engine. I am confident they can handle the load of the trailer.
I actually have one of your first trailers, for my KLR. But your logic above is seriously Flawed. There is very little if any stress put on these adjuster bolts by the chain, sprockets or engine. All these nuts do is adjust the axle front to back. Once you tighten the axle bolts you could remove these adjuster bolts completely and continue to ride with no problems. Prior to putting on "locking nuts" I actually lost one completely along with the plate somewhere on a 250+ mile dirt/mud road day.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #212
weird1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
So Friday I will be picking up my moto-mule!!!!!
weird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #213
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
I actually have one of your first trailers, for my KLR. But your logic above is seriously Flawed. There is very little if any stress put on these adjuster bolts by the chain, sprockets or engine. All these nuts do is adjust the axle front to back. Once you tighten the axle bolts you could remove these adjuster bolts completely and continue to ride with no problems. Prior to putting on "locking nuts" I actually lost one completely along with the plate somewhere on a 250+ mile dirt/mud road day.
Hi Wlfman,
I don't own a KLR myself, perhaps there is enough friction between the axle and swingarm to prevent the wheel from sliding forward without over tightening the axle?? As for using locking nuts, this seems very unneccessary as there are already two nuts on that bolt. You just tighten the two against each other and have a very effective lock nut. Sorry yours came loose, I hope your solution of locking nuts works better for you. Keep me posted. Also, do you have any pictures to share of you using your trailer??
Thanks,
Mike

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #214
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
Hi Wlfman,
I don't own a KLR myself, perhaps there is enough friction between the axle and swingarm to prevent the wheel from sliding forward without over tightening the axle?? As for using locking nuts, this seems very unneccessary as there are already two nuts on that bolt. You just tighten the two against each other and have a very effective lock nut. Sorry yours came loose, I hope your solution of locking nuts works better for you. Keep me posted. Also, do you have any pictures to share of you using your trailer??
Thanks,
Mike
This is actually a VERY COMMON KLR upgrade/Mod.

I havent really used the trailer yet other than a short test when i first got it. I'm hoping to put it to some use this year

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Old 03-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #215
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
This is actually a VERY COMMON KLR upgrade/Mod.

I havent really used the trailer yet other than a short test when i first got it. I'm hoping to put it to some use this year
Cool. Also, you were correct about my logic being wrong with the chain adjusters seeing the force of the chain. A properly adjusted axle nut should prevent the axle from moving without the chain adjusters in place.
Mike

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
Old 03-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #216
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I got a few pictures and some info from Troy, he pulls his trailer with a Suzuki DL 1000 aka V-Strom motorcycle. I hope he writes a ride report about his trip as it appears he had a great time! He lives in Iowa and rode down the east coast to Florida and back with his son. An 11 day adventure I'm sure his son will remember for the rest of his life!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #217
weird1
Adventurer

I picked up my Moto-Mule on Friday, and its awesome. Mike is an awesome guy, and the trailer looks great behind the XRL. I will get some pics up soon. Thanks again Mike, I look forward to some of the accessories you have coming.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #218
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

I finally got around to actually using my Moto-Mule. Got it back in Nov. Loaded it up Sat morning and headed to the mountains for a night of camping and some exploring FS roads. Did a little over 400 miles, of which about 100 were on FS roads. Trailer did well. On the highway the only time I noticed it was with heavy crosswinds. I even hit some of the nice twisty roads and it did great. On gravel, you can tell its there in the curves, but its not bad. Went thru one water crossing about a foot deep and NUMEROUS mud holes. Everything stayed dry, but I did apply Silicone beads around the mount points on the outside.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #219
weird1
Adventurer

Here is a picture of the moto-mule on an XR650L, I have about 100 miles on it probably over loaded, and I love it. It pulls great and looks great. I will tell you it draws a lot of attention, I have had people follow me just to take pictures, and ask questions. this thing is Awesome. Get one. Thanks Mike.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #220
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 529
register or lights for trailer

From post #149 "Thanks for the updates on those using the trailer so far and your dealings with law enforcement. Glad to hear that the police are not bothering you so far..."

Finally had a chance to chase down a local officer (1st time I've done that ) & ask him to look at the trailer. In MA there's no need to register or put lights on it.

Still thinking about a little bicycle light to deter cagers from bumping into it. I've heard senior cagers drive by touch until the obvious happens So far, just have http://www.hyperlites.com/stdbo.html on the bike's fender.
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:58 AM   #221
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,442
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #222
weird1
Adventurer

I have my lights all working, and am now 100% legal. I have about 100 miles on the trailer, now to pair down my gear for my trip next month. this thing rocks!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #223
hairsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by weird1 View Post
I have my lights all working, and am now 100% legal. I have about 100 miles on the trailer, now to pair down my gear for my trip next month. this thing rocks!!!
How about some pictures and details of your light set up !
Hairsmith
hairsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #224
Tarzakus
Stump Jumper

Oddometer: 3
moto mule on XR650L

Thanks for answering my email before Mr. Brackets. I'm wondering if you ever tried a set up where the trailer hitch would connect at the passenger peg bolts? Maybe something with cotter pins that could be removed quickly? I know it would add another chunk of metal, but I thought that if the trailer connected this way it would have the benefit of the bike's suspension... maybe making life less bumpy for gear in the trailer? Just wondered if anyone had tried that idea yet, and how the geometry would work.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #225
weird1
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzakus View Post
Thanks for answering my email before Mr. Brackets. I'm wondering if you ever tried a set up where the trailer hitch would connect at the passenger peg bolts? Maybe something with cotter pins that could be removed quickly? I know it would add another chunk of metal, but I thought that if the trailer connected this way it would have the benefit of the bike's suspension... maybe making life less bumpy for gear in the trailer? Just wondered if anyone had tried that idea yet, and how the geometry would work.
It would have less impact on the ride of the gear since the trailer has its own suspension. It would help the bike due to not adding to the bikes unsprung weight. I dont think it it is a huge deal unless you plan some serious hard core riding with the trailer attached. I think it could be done, maybe Matt will add his reasoning, but I think it is simplicity and multi application.

weird1 screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 04:41 PM