Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #271
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Question for you Mr.Bracket

I have one of your first Mules. Its for a 2006 KLR. Is it possible to "covert" it for use on a DRZ400?
Yes, that is actually an easy swap as the width of the two is the same. You just need a nut-plate for one side of the hitch and a skewer to go through the hollow axle of the DRZ.

Are you trading off your KLR to get a DRZ or just adding a DRZ to the stable?

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #272
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Nice! Not in time for this trip.

Have you taken the tail light apart to see how good the construction is?
LED?

How many tanks of gas is it $$?
All the lights are LED, tail light and blinkers. The construction seems to be good, but honestly I'm a better welder than electrician....

I still need to figure out the cost. I'll offer the bracket by itself so someone could add their own lights and wiring. I'll make a kit that has just the tail/brake light. And I'll offer it as pictured, with the blinkers as well.

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
Old 06-22-2012, 05:00 AM   #273
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
Yes, that is actually an easy swap as the width of the two is the same. You just need a nut-plate for one side of the hitch and a skewer to go through the hollow axle of the DRZ.

Are you trading off your KLR to get a DRZ or just adding a DRZ to the stable?
Buying a DRZ but will be selling the KLR

How much would it cost to get what I need?

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #274
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Buying a DRZ but will be selling the KLR

How much would it cost to get what I need?
$35 for me to send you the parts to make your trailer fit the DRZ. Or, you can just send me the two Aluminum Chain Adjuster Blocks and the two Wing Bolts for the KLR hitch and I'll send you the DRZ parts for free. Your choice.

You must be wanting to ride offroad more than on-road?? I'm assuming that's the reason for a switch to the DRZ...

Old 06-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #275
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
$35 for me to send you the parts to make your trailer fit the DRZ. Or, you can just send me the two Aluminum Chain Adjuster Blocks and the two Wing Bolts for the KLR hitch and I'll send you the DRZ parts for free. Your choice.

You must be wanting to ride offroad more than on-road?? I'm assuming that's the reason for a switch to the DRZ...
Yeah, I do like 90% dirt. The KLR is a great bike, but it's a PIG on single track stuff.

Dude, you rock. If you'll shoot me a PM with your address I'll do the swap out if you don't mind

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Old 06-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #276
rjmorel
Dual Sporticus

Oddometer: 273
MrBracket, Are you going to take a M-Mule to the Sound Rider Rally in Stevenson ,Wa Aug 1-5? If you show up with one it would spark alot of interest from the DS riders there and maybe get a few sold. Maybe Happy Trails would also become dealer for you???? Just thinking from a self-annoyed buisiness perspective. Worse case scenerio, you go to rally , have a ball riding around and write it all off as a business advertising expense. I've gone the last 4 years and really enjoy the time riding around down there. You could also do some testing on your rig by doing the Mary Hill twisties on Friday with one. Heres the link, I'm not affiliated in any way to anyone at the rally if it matters, just thought it would be a great oportunity for you. rj

http://www.soundrider.com/current/12...gorge_2012.htm
2012 Honda NC700x (Dual Sporticus) shaken ,not stirred
rjmorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #277
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,023
How much extra hardware in involved in swapping the trailer from a DR650 to a DL1000? I have both, I'd probably want to tow it between both. Looks like there's a $50 price difference so I'm sure something is different... Also, I probably missed it, but I'm assuming the action packer isn't included with the trailer? IIRC that's an easy Walmart pickup.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #278
PO-SLOKE
" ONTO " Member # 3

Oddometer: 386
Not to sound negitive here at all . I personally get pretty excited about the whole idea of the Moto-Mule itself . But I've got several of those Rubber Maid " Action Packers " , and just sitting out over night with the lid on and the handles latched , the things are full of water in a heavy rain . Can't imagine how wet they would be from riding in the rain . Looks like a smokin rig with a good pelican box back there . I want one to haul my dog in . lol .
DON'T RIDE AT ALL !
Ethics people, ethics
PO-SLOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #279
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PO-SLOKE View Post
Not to sound negitive here at all . I personally get pretty excited about the whole idea of the Moto-Mule itself . But I've got several of those Rubber Maid " Action Packers " , and just sitting out over night with the lid on and the handles latched , the things are full of water in a heavy rain . Can't imagine how wet they would be from riding in the rain . Looks like a smokin rig with a good pelican box back there . I want one to haul my dog in . lol .
I've had mine in pouring rain and did a water crossing where it FLOATED across. Only had like a teaspoons worth of water in the bottom of it...

Old 06-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #280
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
How much extra hardware in involved in swapping the trailer from a DR650 to a DL1000? I have both, I'd probably want to tow it between both. Looks like there's a $50 price difference so I'm sure something is different... Also, I probably missed it, but I'm assuming the action packer isn't included with the trailer? IIRC that's an easy Walmart pickup.
Correct

Old 06-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #281
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
MrBracket, Are you going to take a M-Mule to the Sound Rider Rally in Stevenson ,Wa Aug 1-5? If you show up with one it would spark alot of interest from the DS riders there and maybe get a few sold. Maybe Happy Trails would also become dealer for you???? Just thinking from a self-annoyed buisiness perspective. Worse case scenerio, you go to rally , have a ball riding around and write it all off as a business advertising expense. I've gone the last 4 years and really enjoy the time riding around down there. You could also do some testing on your rig by doing the Mary Hill twisties on Friday with one. Heres the link, I'm not affiliated in any way to anyone at the rally if it matters, just thought it would be a great oportunity for you. rj

http://www.soundrider.com/current/12...gorge_2012.htm
Sounds like fun! I will see how that fits in my schedule... I hope to be caught up by then, I'm behind on building trailers right now!!

Old 06-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #282
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
I'm redesigning the DL1000 mount. The current mount requires a wider hitch. When I get the new DL1000 mount done, you'll only have to remove the skewer and nutplate (for the DR650) from the hitch and use two short wing bolts to attach to the DL1000. I'll post up some pics when I'm done. Doing the same thing for the DL650 as well.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #283
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PO-SLOKE View Post
The Action Packer is a GOOD solution for an EXCELLENT price. I have a small Pelican case on my trailer. The Pelican case is an EXCELLENT solution for a GOOD price. The trailer is designed to allow you to mount whatever case, box, or flatbed contraption you might want.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #284
TrainedChimp
Consistently wrong

Oddometer: 176
Hello Mr Bracket,

I want to do this, not me or my bike. A small white water kayak is about 6' long and 26" or so wide (the one in the link above is mounted on it's side). They weigh about 40 pounds. I'm wondering if can modify one of yours to work. I'm going to find a way to get my kayak to the local surf wave, a short (6 mile) drive through town (no highway speeds).

Any chance you could post a picture with something of a similar size nearby for scale?
Old 07-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #285
hairsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
I have had my Moto-Mule for a little while now and have given it a pretty good work out. The big brown truck droped it off at my work place on a friday afternoon. I got out of the shop by about 5:30 that day and headed to the house, I already had plans to visit some friends for the weekend. I was so excited about getting the trailer I unboxed assembled and instaled the Actionpacker. It went togther so well that I went ahead and hooked it to my KLR. Only thing left to do was a test ride, so after going down the road about 30 feet I turned around and pulled back in the driveway.
Went in the house to finish packing for the weekend, I had planed to take the 1150GS but how could I leave a new Moto-Mule in the garage all weekend ! So instead of packing the GS I just threw every thing in the action packer and geared up, leaving the house about 6:30.

What a great way to get use to a new rig I was thinking as a pulled out onto the highway and got up to speed. I quickly settled into how the KLR felt with the Moto-Mule behind it. This thing pulls GREAT ! I had loaded about 25lb of stuff in the trailer for the weekend, plus the 4-5 lb of tools and spares I carry on the KLR all the time went into the ActionPacker.
I pulled into a small town about 50 miles down the road to check the weather radar, the sky was looking like rain and the radar showed that the bottom was going to drop out. I pulled into a car wash to check the trailer and load as the rain started coming down. Seeing no slacking up for quite some time unless I rode out of it and I enjoying riding in the rain any way I pulled back out. What a great first pull of the Mule.
Rain continued for the next 75 miles or so quiting just after dark. I arived at my friends about 10:00 that evening finding that the action packer had let about 10oz of water in. Not bad considering that at times the front wheel was parting water deep enough that it was splashing back and hitting my boots.
A couple days later I loaded back up to return home, packing this time was a little different since my friend and I had gone to a gun show and I made a low ball offer on a rifle which was accepted. I pulled the barrel out of the stock and both fit in the action packer along with all my other gear computer ect. very well. The ride home was uneventful but did give me the chance to check the second tank of gas pullling the Moto_Mule.
My KLR gives me about 50 mpg most of the time, the tank in the rain at night I got 49mpg. I was jazed that it did not hurt the milage any harder than that. On the way home I was running harder and it droped to 47mpg which is tipical when riding harder on the highway. I am running a 16 front sprocket 15 is stock, rear is stock sprocket.

A few weeks later a couple friends and I desided to ride from home in east texas to east Oklahoma & Arkansas and do some exploring. Loaded with tools, spairs, camping gear, and refreshments we left out Sat. morning. Stoping in Broken Bow Ok and toping off gas after a 200 mile run, we turned east and found some forest service roads and took us up the east side of Bevers Bend lake. The trailer was a pleasure to pull on the gravel and dirt roads. I did not seem to be holding up the other guys both on loaded solo bikes one a KLR and the other a BMW F800GS. In fact I found myself stopping and wating on them regularly.

We had a great weekend camping and riding, doing some exploring looking for a dirt passage from Clayton OK to Mena AR. We did not compleat that but we sure found some great roads and trails testing the Moto-Mule all the way. I crossed some ravins and dry washes that tested my KLR much less that I was pulling a trailer !!!!
On Monday morning we packe up our camp in a downpour wet tent and every thing else. What a wonderful thing it is to not have to pack every thing perfectly just to get it on the bike. Just grab the wet crap and throw it in the trailer and get going. We rode in the rain for about 25 miles and then had the sun come out and a great pavement ride home.

I have over 2,000 miles on the Moto-Mule it has done every thing I have asked of it, I have never turned around becouse I was pulling it. It has alowed me to carry every thing I want to, not just what I have to. I camp in a 4 man tent and use a twin size air mattress, Kermit chair, 12x12 Kelty tarp with poles for shade, Jet Boil for morning coffee.
My bike does not feel loaded down even with all that crap.

MrBracket is a great guy to deal with and builds a top notch trailer !
I will be pulling mine for a long time to come.
Get Out There & Stay Out There !
Hairsmith
hairsmith is offline   Reply With Quote