Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
See post #262 for rotopax mount info

Jim
Thanks!

Dual Sport Luggage Racks for: DRZ-S, SM and E, DR 650 and KLR650: http://www.moto-racks.com
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #363
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider

Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Another thing I am considering is adding a Rotopax mount on the inside of the case. Before you jump all over me, this would be for water containers, not fuel. I'm not as dumb as I look, although I've never had the slightest leak from my three Rotopax containers.

I live in an area where fresh water is in ready supply, but I plan on going to much drier climates at some point. A gallon or two of water would be extremely valuable. I've been reluctant to carry my old First Need water filter on the bike because of bulk and weight. Now that wouldn't be so much of an issue.

So, imagine that these are in WHITE.

1 gallon Rotopax:

1.75 gallon Rotopax:

To note: the mil-spec container is a good 3/16" thick. It's far sturdier than the Actionpacker, and would support the load just fine, even over rough terrain.
Canuman....love your setup, can you tell us where you got that mil-spec container

Thanks

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
rw4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #364
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,550
Cool2 It's all there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw4x4van View Post
Canuman....love your setup, can you tell us where you got that mil-spec container

Thanks

Right back there, 5 pages back, on page 20 of the thread...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=300

Canuman details it right there, and has some other great posts since then detailing his install of it.

Hope this helps.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #365
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw4x4van View Post

Thanks
It's from Ebay vendor waterychas http://stores.ebay.com/waterychas?_trksid=p4340.l2563. He has a considerable collection of mil-spec shipping containers in all sizes. The Hardigg containers as shown are really rugged. A search moments ago shows one left for $100 plus shipping. They are roto-molded just like the Rotopax, and are also US made. They are new old stock.

One important thing to consider is that the Actionpacker has an indent that cuts the apparent mounted length by about two inches when bolted on the Mule. This container is about the max that will fit on the standard Mule. That being said, as we have a friend in the bracket business , it would be a simple matter to ask Mr. Bracket to make a "stretch" version of the Mule if your needs required.

Dual Sport Luggage Racks for: DRZ-S, SM and E, DR 650 and KLR650: http://www.moto-racks.com
Old 08-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #366
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

A further note on the Mil-Spec mule build. I am hopping off to the VT DMV and getting a VIN and a plate for mine. I've ridden around with it for some time and not been hassled, but if I want to "ride the world" with it, $26 yearly for a light trailer plate to make it fully legal is cheap money. A "home built trailer" is defined as one that the owner did 51% of the work on. I've got enough hours in it now to claim that.

The Hardigg container had streaks of some sort of military gorilla snot sealant in it after I stripped the packing foam. I couldn't get it off to my satisfaction. The build stamp showed that the container was made in 1984 (a great year) and the stuff was still tacky and gloppy. The solvents I had on hand just made it stickier and gloppier. Scraping didn't work too well. Finally, I bought a thin yoga mat and lined the container with it.

I just got the bike back from my mechanic. Over the weekend, I'm going to make the wiring loom for the bike. Confidence is high.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #367
Centaurious
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I really like your trailer. The way you use the hollow axle as a mounting point/pivot is great. I have one suggestion for the adjuster plate style mounting and that is to use SHOULDERED bolts so they can be tightened and not have to worry about over tightening under movement or backing out. Having a wire clip through the tip of the bolt on the inside would guarantee that it would not remove itself. You have a great trailer but thinking about one side coming loose from the bike is frightening. Best of luck with your trailers. :)
Old 08-30-2012, 02:09 AM   #368
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider

Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
It's from Ebay vendor waterychas http://stores.ebay.com/waterychas?_trksid=p4340.l2563. He has a considerable collection of mil-spec shipping containers in all sizes. The Hardigg containers as shown are really rugged. A search moments ago shows one left for $100 plus shipping. They are roto-molded just like the Rotopax, and are also US made. They are new old stock.

One important thing to consider is that the Actionpacker has an indent that cuts the apparent mounted length by about two inches when bolted on the Mule. This container is about the max that will fit on the standard Mule. That being said, as we have a friend in the bracket business , it would be a simple matter to ask Mr. Bracket to make a "stretch" version of the Mule if your needs required.
Thank You....

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
rw4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #369
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centaurious View Post
I really like your trailer. The way you use the hollow axle as a mounting point/pivot is great. I have one suggestion for the adjuster plate style mounting and that is to use SHOULDERED bolts so they can be tightened and not have to worry about over tightening under movement or backing out. Having a wire clip through the tip of the bolt on the inside would guarantee that it would not remove itself. You have a great trailer but thinking about one side coming loose from the bike is frightening. Best of luck with your trailers. :)
The mounting bolts are secured with a clip as delivered. They're not going anywhere. It's a secure system. Shoulder bolts are a nice idea, though.

Exhibit A: KLR mount

Canuman screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 07:34 AM
Old 09-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #370
GSA GIRL
2010 R1200GS Adv.

Oddometer: 102
Mike Shipped my trailer and it arrived "Not Good" I got a call from the SO/CFO (Significant Other/ Chief Financial Officer, aka Spouse). There's a Big Box that was just delivered. What did you BUY? Well AAAAAAHHHHH, Can we talk about it when I get home. You bet we're going to talk about it when you get home. It's always better to Ask For Forgiveness than to Ask for Permission . Most of the time anyway. I had just worked 13 day's in a row of 12.5 hrs shifts and didn't really have the Energy To Break The NEWS Prior to arrival. All I can say about mike's Trailer is that it's worth having to sleep with the Dog! Mike Builds a Fantastic Trailer! The Build Quality is first rate. This Dog is Going to Get a Bath Tomorrow. Pics to follow.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:51 AM   #371
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,698
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSA GIRL View Post
Mike Shipped my trailer and it arrived "Not Good" I got a call from the SO/CFO (Significant Other/ Chief Financial Officer, aka Spouse). There's a Big Box that was just delivered. What did you BUY? Well AAAAAAHHHHH, Can we talk about it when I get home. You bet we're going to talk about it when you get home. It's always better to Ask For Forgiveness than to Ask for Permission . Most of the time anyway. I had just worked 13 day's in a row of 12.5 hrs shifts and didn't really have the Energy To Break The NEWS Prior to arrival. All I can say about mike's Trailer is that it's worth having to sleep with the Dog! Mike Builds a Fantastic Trailer! The Build Quality is first rate. This Dog is Going to Get a Bath Tomorrow. Pics to follow.
Your wife must be a tough one.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #372
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Finally got the trailer wiring squared away for the KLR/Mil-Spec Mule. Posi-Tap connectors are very nice! They made what could have been a miserable job pleasurable.

Blinkers all work, brake light comes on, and all the good stuff. I will not be hassled by THE MAN.

I could have prettied up the bracket a little, but it's a KLR. It wasn't beautiful to start with. I am going to get some shorter bolts when the hardware store opens tomorrow.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #373
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Question Yamaha Super Ténéré...

~

Hey, MrBracket...

Any word yet on if one can be fitted to a 2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of these incredible trailers if I know there is a mount for a Super Ten!!!

Thanks!

Dallara

~

~
Old 09-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #374
Mr. Fisherman
oneandahalfassed

Oddometer: 10,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
~

Hey, MrBracket...

Any word yet on if one can be fitted to a 2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of these incredible trailers if I know there is a mount for a Super Ten!!!

Thanks!

Dallara

~
If you send pictures and measurements of the rear axel and sliders he can make one for it...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #375
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Cry I dunno'... I tried...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
If you send pictures and measurements of the rear axel and sliders he can make one for it...

Actually I did contact Mike (MrBracket) via the contact form on his web site some time back, in June. He replied to me via e-mail that he needed measurements for the rear axle, and I sent him the necessary ones I thought he should need (8mm hole all the way through the axle, axle right at 14" long itself, internal hex inside right-side end of the axle to insert a big allen-head wrench in, right-side of the axle fits flush with the swingarm and inside a triple-clamp style clamping area, etc.), but then I never heard back from him.

I made those replies to his mtsfabman@yahoo.com email address that he replied to me with, but since I never heard back from him, and since I saw him posting in this thread, I just thought I'd ask about fitting his trailer to a Super Ténéré here.

Here's a pic of the rear end of the bike...

I don't want to rush him, but it's just that there's an event in October I wanna' go to, and one of his trailers would well and truly be the *TITZ* for that trip!!!

Thanks!

Dallara

`

~

Dallara screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 09:54 PM