ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #496
hairsmith
Gnarly Adventurer
 
hairsmith's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Nacogdoches Texas
Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
Some new work done on the dual sport trailer....


Will an Action Packer fit inside the new racks ?
__________________
2000 R1150GS
1983 R100 RS
2005 KLR 650
Hairsmith
hairsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #497
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MrBracket's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Springfield, Oregon
Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
I'm intrigued by the dualsport trailer...Looks sweet. I can't decide between something like that, or an easily removable enduro sidecar like you can get from DMC ($$$).

Question - have you run in to any issues with lighting or licensing requirements? I know that my motor vehicle regs describes a trailer (more or less) as a "device with 2 or more wheels attached to the rear of a vehicle with a pivoting hitch.." So that tells me that a trailer with only one wheel isn't a trailer at all! lol.

Have you run in to any issues with this? I ask because if I had to have this trailer licensed, it would have to be inspected, and I'm just not sure if something with a motorcycle wheel and a unique hitch through a hollow axle would pass an inspection here. I do intend to speak with a few inspection places, and of course the DMV next time I'm in there.
Some have had them inspected and licensed. Some states require a safety chain be added. You have to license them as a home built trailer, one state required that the moto-mule stickers even be removed.. Funny, because they are made out of a reflective vinyl.... Each state is different, but for most, motorcycle trailers fall under the radar.
__________________
http://www.facebook.com/MotoMule http://www.moto-mule.com

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #498
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MrBracket's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Springfield, Oregon
Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairsmith View Post
Will an Action Packer fit inside the new racks ?
Haven't tried that yet, I built that to haul dry bags.. I'll test and see.
__________________
http://www.facebook.com/MotoMule http://www.moto-mule.com

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #499
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MrBracket's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Springfield, Oregon
Oddometer: 256
Had a fun weekend with the trailer!











Here's some video from the trip:

http://youtu.be/W-ChCjFL1Vg

__________________
http://www.facebook.com/MotoMule http://www.moto-mule.com

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #500
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom
 
CallMeBoog's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: NSLC
Oddometer: 5,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
Some have had them inspected and licensed. Some states require a safety chain be added. You have to license them as a home built trailer, one state required that the moto-mule stickers even be removed.. Funny, because they are made out of a reflective vinyl.... Each state is different, but for most, motorcycle trailers fall under the radar.
Have you had any feedback selling them to Canadians in respect to licensing? I've looked and talked to who would be in the know, and apparently if I register it as a home-built, like you say, it's up to the inspector to deem whether or not it requires an engineer's evaluation...same as home-built motorcycles, and trucks lifted more than 6" here.

Can't have any fun in Canada you know!

So, any Canadians have any hiccups with licensing these?
__________________
Don't Ride With Nate!

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #501
smash81
Gnarly Adventurer
 
smash81's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 459
You made the Killboy Highlights this week

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Smash is like the deoderant....strong enough to be a man, but made as a woman....LOL
Salvaged 2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR7 - hers
smash81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #502
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MrBracket's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Springfield, Oregon
Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
Have you had any feedback selling them to Canadians in respect to licensing? I've looked and talked to who would be in the know, and apparently if I register it as a home-built, like you say, it's up to the inspector to deem whether or not it requires an engineer's evaluation...same as home-built motorcycles, and trucks lifted more than 6" here.

Can't have any fun in Canada you know!

So, any Canadians have any hiccups with licensing these?
I've shipped almost ten trailers up to Canada, but I haven't gotten any feedback about registering them, sorry. Hopefully one of the guys up there will offer up some info here.
__________________
http://www.facebook.com/MotoMule http://www.moto-mule.com

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #503
HSRacer
Banned
 
HSRacer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana
Oddometer: 115
Have you ever made a hitch to fit a maxi scooter?
HSRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #504
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MrBracket's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Springfield, Oregon
Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSRacer View Post
Have you ever made a hitch to fit a maxi scooter?
Not yet, does it have a hollow rear axle??
__________________
http://www.facebook.com/MotoMule http://www.moto-mule.com

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #505
HSRacer
Banned
 
HSRacer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana
Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
Not yet, does it have a hollow rear axle??
No, they don't really use a traditional dirt bike axle. It's the engine on one side and the muffler on the other.
I've seen some custom hitches that attach to the frame of some scooters.
HSRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #506
HSRacer
Banned
 
HSRacer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana
Oddometer: 115
Examples...

https://www.google.com/search?q=scoo...bih=907#imgdii=_
HSRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #507
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob
 
Lizrdbrth's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: High desert, soCal
Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash81 View Post
You made the Killboy Highlights this week

Thanks for that.

I've seen a lot of impressive pics of MotoMules in action, but now I'm truly humbled.
Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #508
bee-rad
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 7
This past long weekend I was able to turn the moto-mule into a rocket. This trailer is well travelled & likely the first of many to sport such wear and tear. I will fab up a means of further support to the upper portion of the headstay soon.

bee-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #509
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MrBracket's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Springfield, Oregon
Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee-rad View Post
This past long weekend I was able to turn the moto-mule into a rocket. This trailer is well travelled & likely the first of many to sport such wear and tear. I will fab up a means of further support to the upper portion of the headstay soon.

Wow! You get the award for the first catastrophic failure!!

How much weight did you have in it? Under what circumstances did it break?

Will you please email me a few close up pics of the break? Or better yet, take it apart and ship it to me and I'll fix it for you. I'd like to learn from it so that future trailers will be better.

Mike
mtsfabman@yahoo.com
__________________
http://www.facebook.com/MotoMule http://www.moto-mule.com

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #510
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!
 
Mr. Fisherman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Drinking from the Stanley Cup!
Oddometer: 10,658
I recently finished another 18 day, 1730 mile adventure with mine... then a couple more rallies... still loving it and sending a LOT of potiential buyers your way...








Mr. Fisherman screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 06:28 AM
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014