User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #61
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
What is the load limit?

To clarify, this is for on-road, limited distance hauling. I'm wondering what boundaries to set for grocery runs and that kind of thing.

If you prefer to answer the question differently, how much weight can the rear shock take before it's sagged out?

MotoMind screwed with this post 12-04-2011 at 12:53 AM
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:33 AM   #62
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,380
I have to weigh in here with my own comments. I was on that ride with C2C4C / Evan yesterday (that's my white DR parked next to his yellow one at the mandatory Starbucks after-ride shaken-green-tea and milk-chocolate covered graham crackers...but I digress).

I was absolutely amazed at the performance of the trailer. We rode some gentle single track where you would expect it to handle well, but then we got into some very tough, rutted trail where ANY riding was tricky and difficult. Eventually we ended up where there was no trail at all, forging through heavy brush and some difficult ditches. All along the trailer not only followed dutifully without a complaint but did so without causing any challenge at all that I could see. I rode point some, and the trailer didn't slow him down at all. When Evan rode point it was almost mesmerizing to watch that thing behind his bike.

The only issue at all is when you go through a really steep ditch, the trailer angle (up/down) is such that the pivot hits the fender/license plate (as has already been mentioned) because the length of the "arms" or "tongue" is the same as the distance from the axle to the fender/license plate. But these were short steep ditches that we almost had no business crossing, trailer or no trailer.

My DR is just for use around town - I have bigger bikes for bigger trips - but if I needed to haul anything with me I'd buy one of these things in a heartbeat.

Well done, MrBracket.
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #63
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMind View Post
What is the load limit?

To clarify, this is for on-road, limited distance hauling. I'm wondering what boundaries to set for grocery runs and that kind of thing.

If you prefer to answer the question differently, how much weight can the rear shock take before it's sagged out?
The design of this trailer was not maximized for hauling large loads, but instead light bulky loads over rough terrain. The kind of load you'd take on an adventure ride. For most bikes, 60 pounds of cargo is just about right.
That being said, to answer your question becomes more difficult. If you want to carry a large load on the road, a 2 wheeled trailer would suit you better, but remember unless the trailer has it's own brakes your really need to allow more time to stop. I'm 260 pounds, if I sit on the ActionPacker container, it almost bottoms out the shock. But if the trailer were moving it would bottom out hard on a small bump. Speed changes everything, the faster you go, the larger the impact the bump makes. Yes, the preload on the shock can be increased to haul a heavier load, but then you'd be stressing other frame members and possibly cause the tubing to bend or break. Again, the trailer is NOT designed for heavy loads. It was designed to be as light weight as possible while hauling a light bulky load off road.

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #64
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

JoeyBones,
Thank you for your comments. It's great to hear a report from an observer. When you are the one pulling the trailer, you often can't feel it back there let alone get to watch it follow you. I find myself looking back just to make sure it's still there. Following someone else pulling the trailer almost gives you a better idea how it performs than being the one pulling the trailer!
Thanks again for your report.

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
Old 12-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #65
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
Here's John (asrvivor) and his new trailer!! It was indeed a cold one today, glad you made it home ok! Thaw yourself out!! 90mph!!?? don't get a ticket!!

NICE !! and a good excuse for a ride to Springfield
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #66
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Rewriting this post since I now see how you hook up to a KLR. I've got a KLR and a WR250R. Can the same trailer connect to both if you supply the appropriate hardware?

Does the WR250R use the simple skewer method show in the product video, or do you have some other kind of bolts that you use?

MotoMind screwed with this post 12-04-2011 at 08:24 PM
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #67
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMind View Post
Rewriting this post since I now see how you hook up to a KLR. I've got a KLR and a WR250R. Can the same trailer connect to both if you supply the appropriate hardware?

Does the WR250R use the simple skewer method show in the product video, or do you have some other kind of bolts that you use?
Yes, the same trailer can fit both bikes. You would need to get an extra hardware kit is all. Yes, the WR250R (and all other bikes except the KLR) uses the simple skewer method to attach. The WR250R has the widest axle the current trailer will fit, it's actually a hair wider than even the KTM 990 Adventure!!!

Old 12-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #68
bete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Still anxiously waiting for a hitch for the new style KLR. bete
bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #69
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
Still anxiously waiting for a hitch for the new style KLR. bete
I am working on a few accessories for the trailer at this time. After I get a handle on those items, I'll look into the new style KLR's. Thanks!

Old 12-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #70
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,337
Thinking of building some kind of jig/dolly/whatever you would call it that will hold the trailer at the right height while I attach it. Right now it's not very easy to do without having another person hold it while I try to slide the skewer in. Especially when the trailer is loaded it's even more difficult. The little spacer has to be held while holding the arms at the right heght to line up with the axle holes. If I had 3 hands, it be great - one to hold trailer arms in the right position, one to hole the spacer, and one to slide the skewer in with.

Unfortunately, I only got 2 hands when I was born!

Anyway, it's nothing a little creativity cant resolve. I'll report back with what I come up with.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #71
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2c4c View Post
Thinking of building some kind of jig/dolly/whatever you would call it that will hold the trailer at the right height while I attach it. Right now it's not very easy to do without having another person hold it while I try to slide the skewer in. Especially when the trailer is loaded it's even more difficult. The little spacer has to be held while holding the arms at the right heght to line up with the axle holes. If I had 3 hands, it be great - one to hold trailer arms in the right position, one to hole the spacer, and one to slide the skewer in with.

Unfortunately, I only got 2 hands when I was born!

Anyway, it's nothing a little creativity cant resolve. I'll report back with what I come up with.
Evan,
Try putting some glue on that spacer so it stays in place. It only needs to be removeable if you are wanting the trailer to fit more than one bike. Hopefully that will take one hand out of the equation when it comes to mounting the the trailer. If glue doesn't work, let me know, I'll send you another set of spacers that have a tighter tolerance and stay in better for you.

A kickstand is one of the accessories I am working on. Not only will it make it easier to mount/dismount the loaded trailer, it will also make the trailer a better table when you are at your camp spot.

I also picked up a set of Wolfman saddle bags today and ordered a pelican side case mounting system. I'm working on other storage solutions in place of the ActionPacker tub. For some people, having a bag or hard case that is easy to remove makes it much easier to haul their stuff into a hotel room or cabin. Not to mention, many people already have saddle bags or hard cases...

Stay tuned....

Old 12-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #72
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Evan,
Try putting some glue on that spacer so it stays in place. It only needs to be removeable if you are wanting the trailer to fit more than one bike. Hopefully that will take one hand out of the equation when it comes to mounting the the trailer. If glue doesn't work, let me know, I'll send you another set of spacers that have a tighter tolerance and stay in better for you.

A kickstand is one of the accessories I am working on. Not only will it make it easier to mount/dismount the loaded trailer, it will also make the trailer a better table when you are at your camp spot.

I also picked up a set of Wolfman saddle bags today and ordered a pelican side case mounting system. I'm working on other storage solutions in place of the ActionPacker tub. For some people, having a bag or hard case that is easy to remove makes it much easier to haul their stuff into a hotel room or cabin. Not to mention, many people already have saddle bags or hard cases...

Stay tuned....
Hi Mike, One other thought is a locking key, rather than the clip your using now. Just a thought. LOVE the trailer man. Nice job I forgot to mention, on my way home Sat. I was stopped twice by other bikers. Wanting to have a look see. Get ready buddy.

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #73
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Quote:
Evan,

Stay tuned....
Okay, i'll definitely glue that spacer back in. That should help. Kickstand sounds great though.

As for the alternative luggage, I contacted fellow inmate corrado113 (see his custom cordura sewing thread) and he said he could make a zippered liner bag that fits the ActionPacker for around $40. That'll be great for transporting everything in and out of your house/tent/hotel.

Nevertheless, i'm eager to see the other options you come up with! I love pelicans!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #74
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2c4c View Post
Okay, i'll definitely glue that spacer back in. That should help. Kickstand sounds great though.

As for the alternative luggage, I contacted fellow inmate corrado113 (see his custom cordura sewing thread) and he said he could make a zippered liner bag that fits the ActionPacker for around $40. That'll be great for transporting everything in and out of your house/tent/hotel.

Nevertheless, i'm eager to see the other options you come up with! I love pelicans!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
A big bag inside the ActionPacker could be very cool. I would recommend a few smaller bags however (maybe even inside the one big one??) that makes it much easier to find stuff that you've packed. Could even have bags that are different colors or shapes to help you locate everything. One big bag can become a bit messy.... Even more accessories! The possibilities are endless...

Old 12-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #75
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

My wife got a shot of me going down the interstate. Seems my tag is invisible with thew trailer attached so i'll have to come up with a solution for that.