Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #121
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBR12 View Post
Is this something everyone (Mr Bracket) would consider using for long distance dual sport rides? Like form Ca. to Alaska? I would much rather use one of these than big bulky racks and panniers.
Hmmm.
I had always assumed this was gunna be for long rides and "in addition to", rather than "instead of"

This ^^^^ thought process bring this trailer into small overnight excursions......
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #122
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBR12 View Post
Is this something everyone (Mr Bracket) would consider using for long distance dual sport rides? Like form Ca. to Alaska? I would much rather use one of these than big bulky racks and panniers.
MTBR12, yes the intent of the trailer is for long distance dual sport rides. It can handle freeway speeds, tight single track trails, and just about everything in between! Depending on the bike you tow it with, you can use it in addition to, or instead of other cargo carrying equipment. I ride a smaller dual sport bike, so for me, it was one or the other. I choose the trailer over racks and bags. Someone with a larger bike can use both if they would like, as their bike can handle the extra load.

Each method of carrying cargo has it's advantages and disadvantages. In most cases I prefer the trailer to haul my gear. However, for shorter trips when I want to ride hard over rough terrain, I prefer a Giant Loop bag. Obviously I can ride much more aggresive without the trailer. But for most dual sport rides, I'm not riding many knarly trails. I can still tackle some very technical terrain with the trailer, just not as fast as I would without it.

Where I think the trailer really shines, is when you ride to a camp spot, set up camp, ditch the trailer and go explore. In a matter of seconds, you can explore on a bike without bags, racks, or gear. Just un-hitch the trailer and you are free! No removing a bunch of straps that you've spent hours adjusting to fit just right. No risk of dropping your bike on it's side and bending or breaking the side rack that needs to support your cases for the ride home...

Obviously I am biased, I build the trailers. I built the first one because I didn't want to "permenantly" add the weight of a larger gas tank and racks to my bike. I wanted to be able to quickly get back to the light weight nimble dirtbike that I love. Others see the trailer as a way to carry even more gear than they could on just their racks and bags. Like any other tool, it will be used to best suit the needs of it's owner. We all have several tools that can do the same job, which we choose to do the job depends on ______________ (more things than I could ever list....)

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:44 AM   #123
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
Thank you for your purchase Apple Jam! I will get that shipped out first thing next week.
I do want pictures of you and John out with your trailers, wait a minute, I wanna join you guys on a ride instead!!!
We'd love to have you come along Mike. We are doing our first trip down near you. Join in, there will be a few of your trailers there for sure.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746036

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:42 AM   #124
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Sorry if this has been covered but what kind of clearance is there for jack knifeing? What I'm wondering is when I'm on say a quad trail with my SE and one of these in tow would it be possible to do a multi point turn and get my bike facing 180 and ride away or would I have to disconnect to turn it around? I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on one of these. How do you ship to Canada? One last question how necessary is the fender in the wet country, I don't care about the tub getting muddy but will I get a bath every time?

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."

triplenickel screwed with this post 12-29-2011 at 07:57 AM
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #125
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
Sorry if this has been covered but what kind of clearance is there for jack knifeing? What I'm wondering is when I'm on say a quad trail with my SE and one of these in tow would it be possible to do a multi point turn and get my bike facing 180 and ride away or would I have to disconnect to turn it around? I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on one of these. How do you ship to Canada? One last question how necessary is the fender in the wet country, I don't care about the tub getting muddy but will I get a bath every time?
Multipoint turns can get tricky, it takes practice. Just like when pulling a trailer with a truck, the backing up part is what takes practice. I've turned around in some pretty tight places but I honestly have no definate dimensions or angles of tightest possible turn, it will really depend on the rider. The terrain is always different and often I've been able to back the trailer off of the trail a little and turn around in one motion.

I have not yet shipped to Canada. I have one customer in Canada but he had me ship his trailer to some relatives in the US and he picked it up there. I would need your input on the best shipping service. When you order from the US, how do large items usually arrive? The box is 36x20x15 inches and weighs 45 pounds. I believe you may also be subject to import duties or additional charges by the carrier.

I highly recommend the fender kit. It's most important duty is to keep crud out of the shock and extend the life of the seals in it. The fender kit does keep some grime off of the contents of the trailer as well. In most situations, the spray from the trailer tire would not reach all the way forward to hit the rider.

Thanks for your interest, I hope to be sending you one soon, Mike

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #126
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Multipoint turns can get tricky, it takes practice. Just like when pulling a trailer with a truck, the backing up part is what takes practice. I've turned around in some pretty tight places but I honestly have no definate dimensions or angles of tightest possible turn, it will really depend on the rider. The terrain is always different and often I've been able to back the trailer off of the trail a little and turn around in one motion.

I have not yet shipped to Canada. I have one customer in Canada but he had me ship his trailer to some relatives in the US and he picked it up there. I would need your input on the best shipping service. When you order from the US, how do large items usually arrive? The box is 36x20x15 inches and weighs 45 pounds. I believe you may also be subject to import duties or additional charges by the carrier.

I highly recommend the fender kit. It's most important duty is to keep crud out of the shock and extend the life of the seals in it. The fender kit does keep some grime off of the contents of the trailer as well. In most situations, the spray from the trailer tire would not reach all the way forward to hit the rider.

Thanks for your interest, I hope to be sending you one soon, Mike
Thanks for the reply Mike, if I did have to disconnect how long would it take to disconnect and reconnect after a bit of practice? I usually only ship with USPS as they don't blast us with brokerage fees, will they accept one of your trailers for domestic shipping? If so I'd assume we could use the same. Hmmm duties could get tricky but the border brokers will figure it out, MC parts and anything US made should be duty free but I'm not sure how this would get classified. Can you sell me one with the DOT tire right off the bat without the extra cost? You'll probably be hearing from me in the new year.

Thanks, John

PG007
Old 12-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #127
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Mike, if I did have to disconnect how long would it take to disconnect and reconnect after a bit of practice? I usually only ship with USPS as they don't blast us with brokerage fees, will they accept one of your trailers for domestic shipping? If so I'd assume we could use the same. Hmmm duties could get tricky but the border brokers will figure it out, MC parts and anything US made should be duty free but I'm not sure how this would get classified. Can you sell me one with the DOT tire right off the bat without the extra cost? You'll probably be hearing from me in the new year.

Thanks, John
I can take mine off the DR in about 30 seconds and reconnect in about the same. It's way easier than you think it would be. Haven't had a huge load in it when doing this yet, but can't imagine more than maybe a minute for off and another for on.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #128
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,366
Just subscribing to keep track of this great idea. Love the simplicity of it and hope you have fittings for a BMW R1150GS. This would be great for packing a good sized tent like the Redverz and a comfy air mattress.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #129
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Sorry if this has been covered but what kind of clearance is there for jack knifeing? What I'm wondering is when I'm on say a quad trail with my SE and one of these in tow would it be possible to do a multi point turn and get my bike facing 180 and ride away or would I have to disconnect to turn it around?
As stated, backing up is a bit tricky. I've found the best way to do a 180* on the trails is to try to do it with as little backing up as possible. If you can do the 180* by turning a sharp right or left without any backing, you'll have no problem. the trailer can past perpendicular to the bike if it has to. If you do have to back up, it'll just tae practice. You'd never have to disconnect it though, maybe just get off the bike and swing it around.

Remember, it pivots behind the rear wheel.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #130
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks fellas.

PG007
Old 12-30-2011, 08:23 AM   #131
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks John and Evan! Great to have customers helping me out answering questions on here! Looks like my work is done here today and I better get out in the shop and build trailers!!

Old 12-31-2011, 07:27 AM   #132
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

It's here, It's here

Now, to go unpack it and play with it
Old 12-31-2011, 08:11 AM   #133
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
It's here, It's here

Now, to go unpack it and play with it
You are gonna love it. What a great new year treat. Tell Shelly hi and happy new year. Also tell her sorry she has to work all day!

Old 12-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #134
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

hmmmm.. new toy, woman off to work..... take pictures Apple Jam, I wanna see that trailer in action

Old 12-31-2011, 06:03 PM   #135
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
hmmmm.. new toy, woman off to work..... take pictures Apple Jam, I wanna see that trailer in action
Hooked it up in the Garage, looks super sweet so far.
Then, I felt guilty for playing with MY toys,
and installed the LED blinkers, low amp flasher relay, and indicator diode set-up on wifey's DR200SE
Tomorrow's the day for trial and pics. Wifey has to work all day.