Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
sjeproductions OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Heading to Copper Canyon December 3 - 10! Who wants to join?

BoulderGuy and myself are taking a late season trip down to the familiar grounds of Copper Canyon. Let's be honest, winter arrived to quickly in Colorado and neither of us a ready to put the bikes away. Plan on crossing the border on the 3rd or 4th, ride for the week and cross back over on the 10th, giving us a day to high five, exaggerate to our friends, and prepare for re-entry into the working world.

If anyone is interested in joining, drop a PM or hit us with questions and we'll see if we got the makings of an inmate run for the border on our hands! Please be advised, beer will be drank, bikes will fall over, clothes will get dirty and the phrase "what's the worst that can happen?" will be repeated a lot!
sjeproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
arapaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Looks like a great trip. If it were a week later I might be able to join. I was there on an old pig of a bmw in about 1990 and it was a lot of fun. It would be a lot more fun on a modern bike.

Sent frum my iPhone. Pardon any misspellings.
arapaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
Gentri in GA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Thumb Heading towards Texas

... and Mexico. Copper Canyon was on the list. What are ya'll riding and what types of stuff are you wanting to get into? I am on a DR650, no KTM but it has handled a bunch of crazy weekends in Murphy, NC. Currently running Shinki 705s due most of the roads I will be on. You guys running knobbies for this one?

Regards, Gentri
Old 11-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
sjeproductions OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The good, the bad, and the ugly....

Well, let me see we've got a 950, a 640 (both of the orange persuasion) and an XR650R which I've only recently learned is referred to as a BRP (big red pig). Who knew this was going to be an educational trip? Anyways, we are all running knobbies, mostly TKC80 fronts and Dunlop 908 rears. Good balance for road and off. The loop we do is mostly off road, going from mata Ortiz to creel to batopilas to urique (might reverse those two) then back to creel and head for the border on the last day. We pack light, no camping gear, and stay in the towns we stop at. Cheap and good food. Should be a blast and last time I checked the weather it was still in the 70s during the day.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,344
Sounds fun; I'm interested.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:28 AM   #6
sjeproductions OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Drop me a PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Got a few inmates on the fence, so drop me a PM if you are interested in more details.....
Old 11-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
sjeproductions OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Trip is On!!

Well, our traveling duo has turned into a foursome with a fifth on the fence. Still time to join if you've been sitting in the wings wondering if we were serious! Look for a trip report to follow sometime in the future....
Old 11-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeproductions View Post
Well, our traveling duo has turned into a foursome with a fifth on the fence. Still time to join if you've been sitting in the wings wondering if we were serious! Look for a trip report to follow sometime in the future....
Hello,
I am currently doing a job in El Paso, Tx. I would love to join you'all but I don't think I can get away from the job, certainly not for a week.

The weather this weekend is not looking to good for moto travel. They are talk Friday a high of 46, with Saturday possible snow showers here in El Paso. Quite out of the ordinary for this part of the country. That whole weekend doesn't look to good for recovery either, so dress real warm. It has been in the mid to upper 60's the past few weeks, with one rain storm last Friday.

I don't know what port you'all are going to enter @, Santa Teresea just west of here is very good, don't have to get into the city. Small, clean, well run when I went in a couple month's ago. Columbus is good also, another hour west.
Don't forget about the moto deposit for the TVIP. 2,3, or $400 depending on the model year of your bike.

Have a great time, and ping me if you'all are in the area and need something. I don't have alot living in my travel trailer for work but I can cut loose almost anytime to help someone, or meet for a meal and beer.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
sjeproductions OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the 411...

thanks for the weather update and info. we won't be crossing the border until Sunday and it looks like it should be sunny and in the 50s, which is plenty warm. Rain isn't really an issue either, got plenty of time riding in it...heck got some time riding in snow, now that i can say sucks!! We plan on entering at Puerto Palomas just South of Columbus, NM. Quick and easy.

We'll drop you a line if we get time for a beer or grub!!
Old 11-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,963
Aaaargh....two weeks later and I'd be beggin' to come along! W#rk is such a necessary evil right now....

Steve
R12GSA
Old 11-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeproductions View Post
thanks for the weather update and info. we won't be crossing the border until Sunday and it looks like it should be sunny and in the 50s, which is plenty warm. Rain isn't really an issue either, got plenty of time riding in it...heck got some time riding in snow, now that i can say sucks!! We plan on entering at Puerto Palomas just South of Columbus, NM. Quick and easy.

We'll drop you a line if we get time for a beer or grub!!
PM me if you want when you folks are going into country. I might saddle up the ADV Strom and see you'all off on Sunday.
There is a decent cafe right in Columbus @ the border. Then after your gone I can cry myself back to
El Paso and work.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
sjeproductions OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll PM you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
PM me if you want when you folks are going into country. I might saddle up the ADV Strom and see you'all off on Sunday.
There is a decent cafe right in Columbus @ the border. Then after your gone I can cry myself back to
El Paso and work.
You do know the closure you get to the border, the harder it is to resist the magnetic pull of warm weather, street tacos, and cold cervezas...so you might want to pack a change of clothes.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #13
sjeproductions OP
Gnarly Adventurer

All systems go!!

And with daytime highs next week in the upper 60s, life is looking to be good!! See you all in a week!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
leewildwater
rrrrRide Man rrrrRide

Oddometer: 392
GO MAN GO!!!!!!!!!!

I sure enjoyed the trip with you. Have you heard anything from Windsor?

See Ya Leebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Old 12-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #15
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,344
What a nice surprise. Windsor and I have done two trips down to CC since the one we were all on. I think that trip ranks as one of the best. I do carry a water filter with me now on all trips to Mexico. Something about that iodine. Thanks Leebob.

jimmex screwed with this post 12-02-2011 at 10:23 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote