Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2010, 07:06 AM   #1
BLUEThunder OP
Rider of Blue Thumpers

Oddometer: 490
Soggy Bottom Smokey Mountain NP Dual Sport Tour (+ a BONUS ride w/ Yanni23)

This is all about the pics, right? So, I am going to try to do a mass upload of pics so you all can see them....then, as I get time I will come back and edit them with some captions/stories.

But, in summary, Krotchity, Mtnflow and I went to Gatlinburg, TN last week for a SUPER Smokey Mountain Dual Sport Tour. We rode on our own for two days then rode on Tuesday, May 18th with the one and only Yanni23 from ThumperTalk. And, WHAT a DAY that was!!!!

BIG THANKS to Yanni23!!! Great Smokey Mountain DS guide if you are looking for one...

Unfortunatley, these pics did not load to photobucket in the correct sequence. Therefore they are not exactly in the correct order here....but, you'll get the point.

Meeting point in Staunton, Va....even ran into littlelionmonster with his beautiful Triumph at Sheetz before we got on road.

This bad boy was hangin out at our Cat Herders temporary outpost in TN. He was there EVERY morning and was not afraid of Catherders at all???

View down on I-40 from atop Buzzards Roost. This was actually on Tuesdays ride with Yanni....and was a welcome rest stop!

Yanni hammers through the mud holes.....man, this dude is smooth on a bike....if you ever get the chance to ride with him I would HIGHLY recommend it. He knows his way around them there hills....

Krotchity tries to hammer through the same mud holes but I think they hammered him

I love pics of my bike.....she's sexy

Mtnflow and Krotchity ascend this steep, rocky two track....schweeeet stuff!

Yanni's "hill climb from hell" or something like that.....it was tuff! We never did get the DRZ's up it.....it was nothing but WET red clay and we were all pretty much whipped! But man was it FUN! (Yanni made it!) He's da man!

There is no doubt that we could have made it.....but we will have to save it for another day....

Yanni's famous BBQ lunch stop....good stuff!

This is some of the typical stuff we rode all day with Yanni23. It was much steeper and rougher in spots though....It was GREAT!!

Did I mention that I love taking pics of my girl? She's a sexy thang....

High atop.....uh, I forget....but this is a FAA site...here Krotchity, flow and Yanni talk.

This is the TN line as approached from NC on some dirt road somewhere.

I was terrorized by an angry limb....I won. Luckily, this was my worse injury of the day. Could have been bad though! Thank goodness I had on my goggles!

The infamous bus shot.

This creek x-ing got the best of one of us....but he can tell you about that if he so chooses.

Yanni's schweeeet machine.....and man could he ride it.

Our meeting spot on Tuesday morn with Yanni.

These elk were shot (well, not really shot) on Monday's ride in Cataloochee National Park. It was a real treat to see elk in TN.

Photographers at work

A young Bull Elk in velvet

My sexy bike again.

Left to right - Krotchity, Mtnflow, BLUEThunder

Drying out after a very wet ride across the mountain from Gatlinburg, TN to Cherokee, NC.

Near Clingman's Dome...wet ride... By the way, the side road to Clingmans Dome is closed until May 27th or 28th.

Sunday on Deal's Gap on the DS's!

Road closed! This is the TN end of Deals Gap. Still closed. Was very dissapointed in this. Ended up having to ride it all the way back to the other end....

We saw a little bear cub while we were standing here chatting. No pics though. Happened to quick.

This is the exit from Parson's Branch onto Deals Gap. Parson's branch is a FUN road on a DS.

The following pics are on the Cades Cove end of Parson's Branch.

WOW! What can I say....the wildlife in Cade's Cove was....well.....nice.

Mtnflow enjoys Breakfast of Champions....Spanish Omlet at Flapjacks in Gatlinburg

oh, yeah, the Reese's Peanut Butter cup and choc. chip pancakes....of course served with sugar free syrup

Entering TN....for some reason these stoopid pics uploaded all backwards and mixed up....sorry

BLUEThunder screwed with this post 05-21-2010 at 07:44 AM Reason: adding captions
BLUEThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
BLUEThunder OP
Rider of Blue Thumpers

Thanks to all

Now, let me reply to my own thread.

First of all, thanks for a great trip! We had a great time and a lot of good belly laughs. Sorry to Paul and Mtnflow for spitting my tea all over you and your food. I haven't laughed so hard for a real long time and I really needed that.

A summary of our trip for those of you who are wondering what the heck this trip is all about.

May 15th - Krotchity, Mtnflow and I (BLUEThunder) headed to Gatlingburg, TN for a fun filled week of DS'n in the Smokeys....to be mostly self guided. Saturday was mainly a travel and staging day. Our temporary Cat Herders outpost was a nice timeshare in Gatlinburg. Perfect! Thanks guys! Beats a tent. And, oh was the hot tub a hit at night after a hard day of DS'n.

May 16th - after a late start and an awesome breakfast fit for a king...or three lazy motocyclist, we headed into Cades Cove. It is a truly beautiful ride down to the cove. Beautiful! From the Cove we took Parson's Branch road (dirt) all the way to Deal's Gap. This was really nice as it was one way...so you could really hammer! Once at the Gap we first rode west to the dead end...then turned around and rode all the way back east to the NC end and of course had to visit the store for food and stickers. We then had an adventerous ride back to the CH outpost minus Krotchity. That's another story for another time. I gotta get something done today. Hot tub was really welcome tonight after our 160 mile day

May 17th - another late start after yet another awesome breakfast at flapjacks. This time we all had the Spanish Skillet as recommended by Krotchity. Sorry...no pix. Maybe one of the others have pics of this wonderful creation. Today we rode across the mountain from Gatlinburg, TN to Cherokee, NC. In the RAIN. It was wet rain. Luckily it was warm. After a nice break and dry out we proceded to get lost. Another good long story. We made our way eventually into Cataloochee where we saw herds of elk. Cool. We had a great "slick" river crossing adventure. Video's will follow. After many fun miles of dirt and lots of fun turns we hit Rt. 32. WOW! This road makes Deals Gap look like a toddlers playground. Lots of 5, 10 and 15mph turns. LOTS! I wasn't crazy about it on my DS but Krot. and MF loved it! They tore it up! We finally rode back into the outpost around dark....and whipped after a 130 mile DS day.

May 18th - Yanni23 day! YAY! What a day! A HUGE THANKS goes out to Yanni. This dude can ride and he knows the mountains of eastern TN and Western NC. We had a blast. We started out meeting Yanni in NC at 900. We were riding by 945. We quickly hit dirt and left the asphalt behind. We rarely saw pavement the rest of the day. We probably rode 60-65% two track/single track and 35-40% FR. Great balance. He will tailor it to your desires, btw. We rode some incredible stuff, at a very brisk pace, ALL DAY! We did several cool hill climbs and had many funny spills that would have been great on America's Funniest Videos. ( I had many, many great belly laughs) We rode 119.5 miles of pure dual sport bliss and we were all whipped....except Yanni of course. More to come on this day. Gotta get offa here. When we arrived back at the outpost (like 9pm) we were met by Paul. Nice suprise, but he still can't ride cause of that stinkin broken shoulder.

May 19th - I had to travel home today. Things to do here in Va.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
mica
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,054
Nice pics and write up Blue T!!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
BLUEThunder OP
Rider of Blue Thumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mica
Nice pics and write up Blue T!!
Thanks Mica. It was rather rushed. There are better pics to follow from flow and krotch. We need to ride one of these days.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,660
Nice pics. I recognized a lot of the places. I'll be headed up in June to ride the same area.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
ADVWannabee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEThunder
Help me out here, I can be a little slow at times. When I check DealsGap.com, they have a notice that says ""The Dragon" is now open from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. seven days a week until the rockslide on US129 is cleaned up.". This sign you posted indicates you can get through during the day, yet you have a picture of the road being blocked. I am planning a trip down in late June and want to approach Deals Gap from the Tennesse side; is that possible?
ADVWannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
Help me out here, I can be a little slow at times. When I check DealsGap.com, they have a notice that says ""The Dragon" is now open from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. seven days a week until the rockslide on US129 is cleaned up.". This sign you posted indicates you can get through during the day, yet you have a picture of the road being blocked. I am planning a trip down in late June and want to approach Deals Gap from the Tennesse side; is that possible?
It's only open on the NC side. It's blocked about 11 miles south of the TN-NC line. You can get to it from the TN side via Parsons Branch Road (unpaved)

klaviator screwed with this post 05-21-2010 at 09:49 AM
Old 05-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
ADVWannabee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator
It's only open on the NC side. It's blocked about 11 miles south of the TN-NC line. You can get to it from the TN side via Parsons Branch Road (unpaved)
How bad and how long is the unpaved road as my group will be on cruisers.

Thanks.
ADVWannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,938
Awesome pics. Look forward to seeing what krotch took with his Nikon
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
How bad and how long is the unpaved road as my group will be on cruisers.

Thanks.
I haven't ridden it myself but have heard it is pretty easy. People drive through in their cars. There are some paved creek crossings. Here's a thread dealing with your question: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571208

Old 05-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,328
Fantastic!!!!!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #12
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,328
Oh, I'm curious what that back tire is on Yanni23's bike - lookin' good

And hope the shoulder injury isn't too bad and heals quickly... ouch
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #13
mtnflow
LFC, more pie please

Oddometer: 2,235
We rode into cades cove one day and the nice ranger told us that parsons branch road was open to the dragon.

she was a cutie...

There were plenty of signs that told us everything we needed to know...

Nice concrete water crossings...

The eight mile stretch of dirt dumped us out in the middle of the dragon...

Yes, the dragon is blocked at the base of the mountain on the TN side....

The next day we headed out in search of cove creek road...

Of course it had to be raining again...

So we spread everything out in the sun to dry....

I think we found it...

We also found the elk...

We also found a bridge we couldn't cross with a ford right next to it (krotchity has the video of the water crossing, not pretty).

Tuesday was Yanni23 day so we packed up and headed to the meeting place...

20 mins. into the ride I crashed crossing this creek and tweaked my knee....

Yanni leads, we follow...

No matter what kind of carnage it causes...

That was a VERY steep, muddy clay, hill climb which the photo doesn't do justice.

Here we are coming down defeated...

Another yard sale in the mud hole ......

Here is another one of the hill climbs....this one involved nasty wet roots....

Krotchity hurt his thumb pretty bad but was able to ride.

We had to work on the bike a little after that one, two busted signal lights.

Bent handle bars we were able to bend back using a tree fork...

mtnflow screwed with this post 05-21-2010 at 09:24 PM
mtnflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #14
BLUEThunder OP
Rider of Blue Thumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF
Oh, I'm curious what that back tire is on Yanni23's bike - lookin' good

And hope the shoulder injury isn't too bad and heals quickly... ouch
Hey George, Yanni's back tire is a Teraflex. A real beast of a tire. He says he gets about 1200 miles out of one. It definitely hooks up....and throws a mean roost...ouch!

The shoulder injury was not from this ride. It was from the Montebelo ride a few weeks back.... he is still healing and couldn;t ride with us. Just came down Tuesday to hang out.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #15
PSUcanary
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
[quote=BLUEThunder]

[quote]

Krotchity you perv....
PSUcanary is offline   Reply With Quote