Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #16
L-ucky-S-ix
Dadgum'd

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbaboy View Post
Plastic repair required all the old decals to go. I repainted some plastic pieces and applied web bought decals.
I will try to post a picture here or a link to it.
thanks

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Simba
Cool! I too will be getting rid of the old decals, but I plan to have a sign shop look at the old ones to have reprinted if it's not over-the-top expensive. Mainly the symbol and if possible in a very thin material that I can spray clear atop to have an ultra clean look. I sourced a fairly new, undented tank and then had the tengai-tank's fairing tabs welded onto it...

It was a very new-looking tank that had to be the donor, but for good reason. This tank doesn't have rusty innards, massive dents on both sides, and a missing fuel cap. This is one of the many reasons why I haven't finished my Tengai yet after so many months. I'm not screwing around with a half-assed restoration. I think I've finally decided on a color to paint when it comes to it. Alas, I have too many projects.
L-ucky-S-ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #17
rideak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26

I recently acquired a 1990 Tengai - with just under 60,000km on it. Pretty decent shape overall but the plastics are rough (to be expected). It has modified suspension because it is significantly taller than my 2006 KLR. I'll try and get some pics posted soon.
rideak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:57 AM   #18
L-ucky-S-ix
Dadgum'd

Hey cool. Modified suspension?
I'll be making a mold of each of the Tengai fairings to reproduce them in fiberglass. I will practice by making two fiberglass sets, sell one set while utilizing the other, and then make the move to carbon fiber for the final set out of the same molds.
I've even come up with an idea to mold the mounting tabs on the inner sides. These will be easy. They will come separate from the fairing itself where the user will epoxy them into place.

Oh, new teaser of my Tengai project...

Notice the original bash plate mounting tab that extends to each side of the down-tube... this doesn't exist on a normal klr.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:08 AM   #19
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-ucky-S-ix View Post
Cool! I too will be getting rid of the old decals, but I plan to have a sign shop look at the old ones to have reprinted if it's not over-the-top expensive. Mainly the symbol and if possible in a very thin material that I can spray clear atop to have an ultra clean look. I sourced a fairly new, undented tank and then had the tengai-tank's fairing tabs welded onto it...

It was a very new-looking tank that had to be the donor, but for good reason. This tank doesn't have rusty innards, massive dents on both sides, and a missing fuel cap. This is one of the many reasons why I haven't finished my Tengai yet after so many months. I'm not screwing around with a half-assed restoration. I think I've finally decided on a color to paint when it comes to it. Alas, I have too many projects.
Damn, you could've purchase my original tank in great condition for less than what it would cost to weld and paint that tank
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #20
L-ucky-S-ix
Dadgum'd

The paint would still have come off if I got yours.
I'd be willing to bet that the tank and the welding cost less than you would charge for yours alone too.

More tease...
Old 10-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #21
rideak
Adventurer

L-ucky Six - it has a "progressive suspension" sticker on the front fork so that may be part of the modified suspension answer. I was just surprised as to how high it sits considering they are supposed to be a little shorter than the KLRs. It has 11" of ground clearance.

I'll be interested in seeing the fairing panels you produce...
Old 10-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #22
L-ucky-S-ix
Dadgum'd

For sure!
Progressive on the front fork is interesting. Sounds like a pretty good chance that there are Prog. springs in the tubes. Make sure the height of each tube is set properly... ie 1mm of tube protruding from the upper triple clamp, not including the cap. Look at the Clymer for detailed assessments as mine are off the top of my head.

Take a picture of the rear and the bike and throw them up here! I want to see the length of your lower suspension links (dog bones) for analysis.
I bought a new(used) swingarm to replace the screwed up, stock Tengai swingarm. The newer arm came with links that were longer than the links that came off of the Tengai; which lowers the actual ride height. There are numbers here somewhere that measure the length of the links from hole to hole so you know which numbers to believe.
I need to do that to find out what the heck I've got too.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #23
rideak
Adventurer

Here are a few pics from this summer - bike is currently torn apart for a little freshening up

Old 10-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #24
L-ucky-S-ix
Dadgum'd

Awesome. Pretty unique, as expected. Would love to see what you find out about your rear shock or lower suspension link situation. It does look like it sits a little higher than all of the others I've seen online.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #25
rideak
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-ucky-S-ix View Post
Awesome. Pretty unique, as expected. Would love to see what you find out about your rear shock or lower suspension link situation. It does look like it sits a little higher than all of the others I've seen online.
The length of my front forks is 38.25" from top to bottom as the bike sits. My dog bones are 5" long measuring from the center of each bolt. The shock appears to be stock.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #26
L-ucky-S-ix
Dadgum'd

Sorry for late reply. Busy month... lots of fishing to be done.

I measured both sets. The stock ones read 5.0" and the lowering links that look identical to the crappy ones on ebay measure 5.5". Eyeballing them made the lowering links look more like one inch longer but I suppose 0.5" is sufficient to lower the bike.
With the 5.0" links on there I recognize no difference in height compared to the '01 KLR sitting a few feet away from my Tengai. Sadly, I will need to give the Eagle Mike raising links a go. But first... I'm getting closer and closer to just hitting the "Buy-it-Now" button on a Progressive shock. I've emailed a few different builders (of the stock shock) and it really just comes down to wanting something spanking new and not an emulsification type of performance.

edit.. Here's a picture of my shock in case yours looks different.

Another thing I am about to work on is the exhaust. Mine isn't quite as "red" as yours but I would like to kill all of the rust and buildup to prep for new paint. If you are bored one day you should look into a molasses and water bath. Phosphoric acid and muriatic acid also come up in the conversations.

L-ucky-S-ix screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 11:58 PM
Old 10-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #27
rideak
Adventurer

Lucky six - my rear shock looks like a stock klr one - I know the PO had it rebuilt and it looks almost brand new with a blue sticker on it (the large one on the body facing the rear of the bike).

What engine guard do you have on yours? It looks like you ha to bend the stock mounting bracket back to fit it on. Do you have any pics with the front fairing still on it - I'd like to see how the fairing and engine guard look together.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #28
scottpoley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
tengai accomplishment

A buddy of mine was the first person to ever finish the Iron Butt Rally on a single cylinder bike, his Tengai. The rally started (and ended) in Texas that year, so my friend drove his bike from upstate NY to Texas, rode the rally, then drove his bike home.
His name is Doug Packard and he still has his Tengai!
scottpoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #29
rideak
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottpoley View Post
A buddy of mine was the first person to ever finish the Iron Butt Rally on a single cylinder bike, his Tengai. The rally started (and ended) in Texas that year, so my friend drove his bike from upstate NY to Texas, rode the rally, then drove his bike home.
His name is Doug Packard and he still has his Tengai!
That's pretty amazing and an interesting note in Tengai history. Do you have any pics of his bike? I'd love to see them - as I'm sure others would too.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:32 AM   #30
scottpoley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
iron butt tengai

no pics needed, it was and still is completely stock. Currently has 65,ooo+ miles and never torn down.
scottpoley is offline   Reply With Quote