User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
creedyflyr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
5 Mate's, 10 Day's, 4571 Km's, Newcastle to Birdsville & back

The plan was to ride from Newcastle to Birdsville & back in 10 Days, leaving on the Fri 21st Oct takeing the scenic route up to Birsville then a quick burn home to be back at work on the 31st.
Day 1
5 of us left Newcastle & made our way up the Golden Valley HWY & onto Bylong Valley Way which was an awesome ride in itself. After a feed at Kandos we headed to Hill End & finally found our 1st Dirt sections. We had an unplanned rest stop at the Maquarie River Crossing as we managed to drown the XR650 so by the time we rolled into Orange it was dark.
End of Day One 513.3 Km's.
Attached Images

creedyflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Russ

Oddometer: 15,350
Subscribed,
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
hdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531

KTM 1190 R

KTM 690 R
hdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
creedyflyr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2 518.5 Km's covered
We were joined by 2 more of Rod's Mate's for the run from Orange to Cobar which gave us our first taste of the kind of riding that would set the standard for the rest of the trip. I've never done this type of riding where you run flatout for hundreds of K's before & I loved every minute of it. You just cant do this sort of riding where I live so it was a whole new experience for me. It was toward the end of the day that Dave's XR600 busted a chain, cracking the case & ending his trip.Rod had to visit the hospital in Cobar as he had a Moth fly into his ear that we had no luck extracting & we stayed in the shitest Hotel I have ever stayed in in my life but they did let us use the beer Garden to store & work on our Bikes.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
creedyflyr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3

Day 3: 189.5 Km's covered
Short Day, Cobar to Tilpa.
I Picked up a nail in the Rear Tire that tore the Tube to shreds & we only carried 21" Tubes as spares to save weight so it was in with the new 21" untill I could souce another 18" Tube.

Tilpa Pub had heaps of character with thousands of people writing messages on the wall for a $2 donation to the Flying Doctors.
We were going to head down to Wilcannia , then up to White Cliffs but the Barman at Tilpa Pub talked us out of it & suggested a different route to White Cliffs so we decided to camp at the place they called the Wier on the Darling River, which turned out to be one of my favorite spots of the trip.

Awesome spot with plenty of wildlife & a great swimming hole to cool off in. I even whipped out the fishing Rod & caught a Carp on a piece of Vanilla Crisp Power Bar.

We finished the Day floating around in a natural whirlpool sucking back Beers & chilling out before heading back to Tilpa for a feed & more Beverages.

Me thinks I could get used to this Adventure Riding thing!
Old 11-17-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
creedyflyr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 4

Day 4: 446.3 Km's covered
Up early for what turned out to be one of my favorite legs of the trip. The run from Tilpa to White Cliffs was a pearler. The roads were freshly graded & felt like one huge , never ending Motorcross Track. Too much fun!!
Dan on the DR650

Found this cool old Car in the middle of no where
We pulled into White Cliffs & the weather started to look nasty & we had a fair bit of ground to cover if we wanted to make Tiboburra by dark so we made tracks.
Saw a good oportunity to snap some pics as the thunderstorm rolled in. Luckily we kept one step ahead of it but it was bloody windy.

Rod & the Pig

The Dr

The Fella's

The 21" Tube I had in the back cried enough & literally melted inside the Tire.

In with another Tube & off we went again only to have it happen again just out of Tiboburra.The Day finished with two going on ahead to organise some accomodation & a feed while Dan & I fixed the Tire & made the last 50 odd K's in the dark. Man its black out there when you turn off the lights.(Note to self, upgrade lighting for the next trip.)
The Family Hotel looked after us, even keeping a feed for us long after the kitchen had closed for the night.

I went searching for a new Rear Tube & managed to find one at the servo as we were running low on Tubes but I was starting to get suss on My rear Tire. I should have replaced it then & there but there was none available.Fingers crossed it would be ok for the next leg.
Little did I know I would be in for one of the coolest, most stressfull, emotional & satisfying Days of my life tomorrow.
Creedy.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
ata
expat in the jungle

Oddometer: 2,221
suscribed!!

ah, and front page for sure

Need some help<<<<<<>>>>>>> wet wanderings
ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
Jono660
Yamafied

Oddometer: 155
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by creedyflyr View Post
Day 2 518.5 Km's covered
We were joined by 2 more of Rod's Mate's for the run from Orange to Cobar which gave us our first taste of the kind of riding that would set the standard for the rest of the trip. I've never done this type of riding where you run flatout for hundreds of K's before & I loved every minute of it. You just cant do this sort of riding where I live so it was a whole new experience for me. It was toward the end of the day that Dave's XR600 busted a chain, cracking the case & ending his trip.Rod had to visit the hospital in Cobar as he had a Moth fly into his ear that we had no luck extracting & we stayed in the shitest Hotel I have ever stayed in in my life but they did let us use the beer Garden to store & work on our Bikes.
Great read and awesome pictures. Looking forward to the rest. I don't know how a pub that let you work on the bikes in the beer garden could be the shittest pub ever though
Jono660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #9
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,087
You got me in!

But I'm still waiting... and looking forward to the next instalment.

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
micanuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I really enjoyed the story of your ride. My wife and I rented a BMW 1200 GS in Melbourne March of 2010 and took in the ride along the The Great Ocean Road to Adelaide, then the Borossa Valley and Birdwood, eventually stopping in Mildura overnight. All the motels were full with a fireman's convention, so we spent the night in the ER at the base hospital. We carried on to Woodonga, rode up Mt. Buffalo Park, then over the Dividing Range to Bega, Bateman's Bay, and a dozen or more other stops eventually arriving in Cairns. It was all good except trying to navigate in Sydney and Brisbane. The open spaces are many in Australia and worth another go. We are planning a ride in New Zealand for 2012.
micanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #11
Russ

Oddometer: 15,350
Great pics I nominated a pick for the front page of ADV I hope they choose it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=7463
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
hansi
Teurer Abenteurer

Oddometer: 262
subscribed
hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
subscribed
+1

Good to see the Strom getting into the action!
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #14
BigBeast
Needs a bigger bike

Oddometer: 11
Subscribed to this for sure!
BigBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:31 AM   #15
Dusty Rhodes
Yowie Chaser

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDADVGS View Post
Great pics I nominated a pick for the front page of ADV I hope they choose it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=7463
If that doesn't make the front page I'm not riding this horse