User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
hornetguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
running rich

My 06 Wee is running rich, with a slightly rough idle. This happened after I spent a week doing several routine maintenance tasks.. Checked valve clearances, changed spark plugs, checked air filter, changed oil and filter, did a throttle body balance.
When cold starting, it starts well, does a good fast idle, then as it idles back down, it goes down to about 900 rpm and sounds like it's about to stall.. and smells like it's running really rich. It still accelerates well, and seems to ride pretty well, but has some popping during deceleration.
The only thing I know of that can cause a rich condition is a clogged air filter. Miine is a K&N, and it's practically clean. I haven't done anything to it in the year and a half that I've had it.

Any ideas? I'm going to get back into it this weekend to look for any loose or missing vacuum hose connections. I REALLY don't want to have to take it to the dealership, but it's just not running right.
hornetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
greywolf
Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer: 965
Have you tried adjusting the warm idle to 1300rpm, where it belongs?

in order of ownership
1971 Honda CB350, 2 1973 Honda CB500s, one was stolen, 1974 Can-Am 175 TNT, 1978 Yamaha XS11, 1978 Honda CX500, 1975 BMW R90S, 1983 BMW R65LS, 2005 Suzuki DL650 totaled, 2007 Suzuki DL650A, 2012 Suzuki DL650A
greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
ghoulish
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Did you by chance unplug the throttle position sensors? If I recall correctly, there are two of them. One on the actual throttle shaft and another just above it on the secondary throttle shaft. These plugs are right next to each other and are identical to one another. If they get plugged in backwards, it will run super rich as the ecu thinks the throttle is 100% open and will try and fuel for WOT!
ghoulish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
hornetguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Have you tried adjusting the warm idle to 1300rpm, where it belongs?
Greywolf... yes, I had it right at 1300. It still hovers around that, once it's warmed up, but it's not a smooth idle.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
hornetguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoulish View Post
Did you by chance unplug the throttle position sensors? If I recall correctly, there are two of them. One on the actual throttle shaft and another just above it on the secondary throttle shaft. These plugs are right next to each other and are identical to one another. If they get plugged in backwards, it will run super rich as the ecu thinks the throttle is 100% open and will try and fuel for WOT!
No, I didn't mess with those sensors... at least not deliberately. I guess I could have bumped them during all the work, but not on purpose.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
hornetguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have heard that some people "reset" the ecu by disconnecting the battery for several minutes, then reconnecting.
Is this a good thing to try? I imagine I'll have to reset my clock afterwards..

I was thinking that might let the ecu remap, or something?
Old 11-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
greywolf
Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer: 965
The Strom ECU is not a learning type. That will do no good. Since it started after your work, you almost certainly did something to cause it. You need to check your work. If often helps to have somebody go over it with you as you'll tend the repeat the error.

in order of ownership
1971 Honda CB350, 2 1973 Honda CB500s, one was stolen, 1974 Can-Am 175 TNT, 1978 Yamaha XS11, 1978 Honda CX500, 1975 BMW R90S, 1983 BMW R65LS, 2005 Suzuki DL650 totaled, 2007 Suzuki DL650A, 2012 Suzuki DL650A
greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
hornetguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok... I'll be right over.

I think you're right.. I just need to go back through it. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anyone close by that can walk me through it. I'll just have to pay closer attention.

It's a learning thing. It certainly helps to have you guys as a sounding board, though. Thanks...
Old 11-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #9
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
If often helps to have somebody go over it with you as you'll tend the repeat the error.
I can vouch for that. The amount of time someone has stood behind me after I was sitting there for an hour looking at code and said. "you missed a semi colon there" after 30 seconds still pisses me off.
I have to make sure I do it to them the next time. Same happens in the workshop.

You have too many assumption floating around in your head and what you thought you have checked you didn't OR you have bumped something or squashed a wire and haven't noticed, because it's not directly related to what you were doing.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote