Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Oddometer: 515
Ralle-Moto Adventure LC8 Steering Damper Review

PART 1

Here's my review on the Ralle-Moto Steering damper that I installed on my (new) 2010 KTM Adventure 990:

Name:  t_lc8 damper 2x2.jpg
Views: 2389
Size:  12.3 KB

First off, a pain in the butt just to get the product to be shipped to me. And that's not from a lack of trying from the shippers from Down Under!! They did their best to track the item, and get it to be shipped properly. But somewhere, down the line, between Queensland and Alberta, someone decided to break the chain and create problems. I bought the Damper in August (2011) and finally received it in October (2011). It took 2 months, but the item was shipped out about 2 weeks after I bought it, as advertised on their site when I purchased the unit. They even went the extra mile of reimbursing an extra amount I had to pay to get the unit released from one of the shipper!! Kuddo's!!!

I was all feverish to get this thing installed on the bike, as well as the FastWayPegs footpegs I had received in the same week that were bought from "bikyto" that looked brand new (Merci)!! So off I went to my shop on a Friday night. With the laptop and the tools, music and hot coffee, it took me about 2 hours to do both jobs. And that's including the break that I took to watch the AirAmbulance transfer a patient at the Hangar next door...!
To sin by silence makes cowards out of men! Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Peace is mostly valued by those who are sworn to protect it! Unknown

outbacktaz screwed with this post 11-17-2011 at 08:51 PM
outbacktaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Ralle-Moto Adventure LC8 Steering Damper Review

PART 2

Here's the installation part:

I had to completely remove the handlebar to fit the mounting plate. I only had to gently lay it across the dash to access the top of the top triple clamp. That plate is held in place by the steering head nut and holds the damper in place in return. Then the spigot is installed using 2 screws that fit in the 2 holes in the frame right in front of the "glove box". And the piece the resistance, you install the damper on the mounting plate. Then fit your handlebar back in place. Torque everything accordingly, test and you're good to go!!

Here's what I think about the unit:

The unit is and all black unit (with white numbers). I wished the dials would have been orange, but that's a detail... The unit is sleek. Very well made. Aircraft grade quality finish. Fitting it to the bike was a breeze! I like the way the unit operates. There's 3 modes of operation, and 8 dampening settings. Here's how it works:

Thanks to davidpeterson for posting it here first: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472769

In my opinion, the unit is well price and does the job like advertised. Is it the best there is out there for a KTM Adventure? That question is debatable. But from my point of view, not having to replace the Top Triple Clamp, and all the hassle that goes with it, is priceless!! That's my customer opinion!!

BTW, I'm in no way related to the product seller. They're from Australia, I'm in Canada, and I just like their product and customer service!!!
Old 11-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
KatoomDownUnder
Safer off a horse than on

Oddometer: 955
Thumb Great kit

I got one last year for my 08 990A and can't fault it

Luckily I was able to go for a blat up the highway and get it directly from the manufacturer
They offered to fit it there and then but I was to keen to do the job myself
am fearann caillte
dan tug na seo\id ud gra\dh,
a sheas an aghaidh
feachd uailleil Iomhair
's a ruaig e dhachaigh
air chaochladh smaoin

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
KatoomDownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
sstewart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
RalleMoto

I love mine too.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Whele
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
It sounds great. Do the handlebars have to be raised? Most other dampers require this and I rather like the standard riding position so would be reluctant to change it.

The link to how the unit operated seems to be missing, can you post the url?
Whele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whele View Post
It sounds great. Do the handlebars have to be raised? Most other dampers require this and I rather like the standard riding position so would be reluctant to change it.

The link to how the unit operated seems to be missing, can you post the url?
Nope, no need for bar raisers, only small washers under the bar tray, so the unit clears the bar. So you get to keep the same riding position and the original top triple clamp...!

About the link, everything seems to be working from this end...
Old 11-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Ralle-Moto vs Scotts Damper

Does anyone have any views/experience on the Ralle-Moto vs Scotts damper. The Scotts requires a new top triple clamp (supplied) which raises and moves the bars slightly forward but seems generally well reviewed.
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Does anyone have any views/experience on the Ralle-Moto vs Scotts damper. The Scotts requires a new top triple clamp (supplied) which raises and moves the bars slightly forward but seems generally well reviewed.
I have had both and prefer the Rallemoto ( MSC made ) for easier operation on the move and more settings to suit my style .

Both will do the job admirably though .
Old 11-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
I've seen a few reviews of the Scott damper. Some were good, some less... I decided to go with this Ralle-Moto because of its sleek design and functions, not 'cause it was less PIA to install, but it was a +...!

I'm a technician on Helicopters, so quite mechanically enclined, but I can see less mechanically enclined people not doing the job by themselves with the Scotts since it involves removing the top triple clamp. But quite frankly, you don't have to remove the bottom triple clamp, so I can't see why it couldn't be done with ease.

It all comes down to the design and functions that you are looking for, IMO...

Cheers!!
Old 04-04-2013, 03:06 AM   #10
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 815
Just digging this thread up to see if any one else has good/bad experience with this unit?

Obviously I am thinking about one. Or I could get a BPR top clamp and fit my Scotts damper I removed from my 450. But I do kinda like the bar position I have now with the longer risers. I also remember reading some where that the bracket that the Scotts bolts too dosn`t crash well. True?

Cheers.
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:21 AM   #11
gkNQ
Northern Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Will let you know after next weekend. Fitted mine on Monday, the lower handlebar risers were a bit tricky but once I got a spare set of hands to hold the socket in place it was much easier.

Fits very well with the standard bar position (uses a 5mm spacer) and looks like part of the bike.
gkNQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:37 AM   #12
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 815
That would be great. I have higher risers so I should have no issues.
Cheers.
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

It does look like it's part of the bike.

But if you have a Scott already, why bother buying another one?? I went with this one for the reasons I stated above, but you know how the Scott works, you're used to it. If it's a matter of getting an adapter for it, I think it would be cheaper... But it would be a brand new unit... I dig it!!

I really love mine, and it does a great job at doing what it was designed to do!! After doing about 10 000 km with it last year, I can tell you that it's a great unit.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #14
gkNQ
Northern Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Went for a quick 250km run today (90km dirt), I have never ridden a bike with a steering damper before and must say that I am very impressed. I reckon that the 990 is a very stable bike on and off road (more so than my 640ADV) however the damper seems to enhance the stability by a noticeable margin. I ran with the D4 setting most of the day. Very good in gusty cross winds at highway speeds, a lot less effort required. Turned it up to 6 for a rougher corrugated dirt section, confidence inspiring plus you can feel the difference as you change the settings.

Only early days however first impression is that it is one of the better things that I have put on a bike, my only regret is that I did not do it years ago (especially last year when I did my knee in the sand at Cape York).

gk

gkNQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:49 AM   #15
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
I love mine, a great damper, and better than the Scotts IMHO :) I say that due to fitting ease, but also I find the adjustments easier to see at a glance, and easier to use on the move.

Nice clear R btw - looks like new! :)
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote