Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #31
BSkye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Map

Is there a good map you'd recommend?

Great ride report, I liked your previous ones as well, especially
the one where your daughter took the photographs.

BSkye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #32
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Well at least you didn't get hit by lightning on this trip....

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #33
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,742
Shouldn't have hiked in my riding boots, tons of blisters!! Ouch.

It's worth the trip to DV if you've never been there. Tom Harrison for a good accurate map.

Less adventure would be fine with me, Ladybug!!

Don't mind the video at all, here is the song that matches the lyrics I used:

Old 11-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #34
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

I got an email from a u-tube buddy that followed a video over here to read the report, he said that I didn't explain the out of gas thing well enough and he imagined me like this picture.

So...I used throttle control and one cylinder to wheeze the bike into Big Pine and never had to walk.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:19 AM   #35
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,864
Always good to read a larryboy ride!
skierd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:34 AM   #36
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I got an email from a u-tube buddy that followed a video over here to read the report, he said that I didn't explain the out of gas thing well enough and he imagined me like this picture.

So...I used throttle control and one cylinder to wheeze the bike into Big Pine and never had to walk.
While you have to feel sorry for the poor guy, considering the conditions, it's nice to see his BMW boots held up pretty well.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:19 AM   #37
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,230
Rob:

Great report as usual. Did I read it correctly that your final drive gave up on you?

Very adventerous of you to do this loop on the first test run. Glad you were able to reach your wife for the rescue. My wife has rescued me more than once as well and it is great that last beer dan stopped to help you stay warm. I always run into some of the best people when on a ride.

I've only been over Steele once but didn't know where to go to find the marble bath and where was that hot springs you found on your way home???? I find it amazing all the places you can find when on a ride.

No game hens to cook this trip? It seems you are traveling lighter than in the past. How does the GS/XRR compare to your other bikes? I don't think I would attempt to take my GSA over Steele.

When are they serving the Thanksgiving meal at Panamint? I'm still finalizing my plans for later this week. I'll be in the desert but don't know where yet. I've always wanted to ride from Mojave to the Husky Monument to Barstow and back but that meal in PSR sounds like fun. If it works out for me to come, I will ride from Ridgecrest to Trona to Ballarat to PSR and then back to Ridgecrest. It is suppose to rain this Thursday but not very much.

Sounds like you had another great ride to DV. Your upcoming 2up ride will be a new adventure I'm looking forward to reading about.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:45 AM   #38
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,117
You always make the desert look so alive.

Great job.

Thanks.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:47 AM   #39
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
Nice read and views! Thanks.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #40
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
Rob:

Great report as usual. Did I read it correctly that your final drive gave up on you?

Very adventerous of you to do this loop on the first test run. Glad you were able to reach your wife for the rescue. My wife has rescued me more than once as well and it is great that last beer dan stopped to help you stay warm. I always run into some of the best people when on a ride.

I've only been over Steele once but didn't know where to go to find the marble bath and where was that hot springs you found on your way home???? I find it amazing all the places you can find when on a ride.

No game hens to cook this trip? It seems you are traveling lighter than in the past. How does the GS/XRR compare to your other bikes? I don't think I would attempt to take my GSA over Steele.

When are they serving the Thanksgiving meal at Panamint? I'm still finalizing my plans for later this week. I'll be in the desert but don't know where yet. I've always wanted to ride from Mojave to the Husky Monument to Barstow and back but that meal in PSR sounds like fun. If it works out for me to come, I will ride from Ridgecrest to Trona to Ballarat to PSR and then back to Ridgecrest. It is suppose to rain this Thursday but not very much.

Sounds like you had another great ride to DV. Your upcoming 2up ride will be a new adventure I'm looking forward to reading about.

The final drive didn't strand me, the exploded clutch splines did.

Look up Travertine Hot Springs, pretty well known party spot on the weekends.

Steaks and stuff on this trip, I had way too much food with me, but I was able to share every night for dinners.

The bike feels very "KLR" if you will, just a slightly heavier more powerful KLR IMHO.

Turkey dinner was served at noon last year, very nice of PSR to do the free meal.

Thanks for the participation in the thread and all of the compliments. Don't have time to answer every reply right now, but thank you!!

Old 11-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #41
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,697
Holy crap - what a shakedown. Good thing none of that (spline 'splosion, out of gas) happened in the sand.
Fully loaded, 2up, we only get about 25mpg in the dirt. Hope you two do better.
Hi to mrs. larryboy and have a great trip!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #42
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
Holy crap - what a shakedown. Good thing none of that (spline 'splosion, out of gas) happened in the sand.
Fully loaded, 2up, we only get about 25mpg in the dirt. Hope you two do better.
Hi to mrs. larryboy and have a great trip!

Sup? dewd!!!

Yeah, that is my exact new plan...25 mpg in the dirt. Gonna limit all fuel runs to 125 miles so I don't kill us both.

Ok, we're outta here!!

Old 11-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #43
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Ready to go...

Hey, at least it blew up closer to home this time.

I had felt all along that I had hurt the motor somehow when I ran it out of fuel. I really asked a lot of it and it got me much closer to home.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #44
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post

Hey, at least it blew up closer to home this time.

I had felt all along that I had hurt the motor somehow when I ran it out of fuel. I really asked a lot of it and it got me much closer to home.
Is that motor oil?

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #45
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
Is that motor oil?

Yeah.

Found out from Poolside that there is a head retorque procedure, did that and fixed it. I heard the compression loss last night, but it stopped right away and I figured it was an exhaust leak.

Gonna try to get out of town again, get as far south as we can and get a cheap room for our first night out.