User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
VixObs OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
2003 Moto Guzzi V11 Lemans Rossa Corsa

I had been looking for a bike to use for sport touring for about a year now. All the ones I had been considering (BMW F800ST, Aprilia Futura, Honda VFR, Ducati ST3), were either too big, too bland and/or overpriced. Now of course, my Street Triple can do it all. After putting 53k miles on it in three years there's no doubt. But, I wanted to have two bikes and have a good balance between them. I wanted to find something that moved me as much as my Triumph does.

I came across the Moto Guzzi V11 range of bikes. My mechanic happened to have a sport model in the back of his shop. He used to work on them and knows them well. I saw a Rosso Corsa in person at Laguna Seca last year and loved the styling and design. There's only so much reading and researching you can do. It's hard to decide on getting a bike without test riding it beforehand. This past September I found what seemed like a perfect specimen of a Rosso Corsa. Only thing was that it was in Vancouver BC Canada. Initially that was a deterrent from getting it but I realized it was a good price for a rare bike that was in great condition. After reviewing photos and video from the seller, talking to him over the phone and getting advice from my mechanic, I decided to go for it.

It was a perfect opportunity for a fly & ride. A one way ticket to Vancouver and if it all checked out, I'd ride it back down to Southern California. If not, I'd spend a day or two in Vancouver and fly back. Well, it all checked out. The timing was perfect as I missed all the rain. It was a straight shot down the 5 freeway. I left on Monday and returned on Thursday. I figured if anything was going to go wrong with the bike it would during the 1400 miles it took me to get home. I had no problems whatsoever.

I love this bike The sound and feel of it is amazing. It's hard deciding which one to ride everyday. It's different in so many ways than the Street Triple. It is slightly taller but I adjusted to it with a little bit more planning on where and how I stopped. At 5'4" I'm actually tippy-toed on it. I'll most likely get the seat modified. It's 100lbs heavier, but is well balanced. It has a larger engine but less HP and more torque. The ergos are very comfortable. The previous owner added bar risers and heated grips. The half fairing makes a big difference at highway speeds. The only thing I think I'll add are some hard cases.

My only regret is that I couldn't spend more time in Vancouver and the areas that I passed through in Washington and Oregon. I did take one unplanned detour through Wolfe Creek in Oregon so I was able to test it out on some twisties. The 5 freeway wasn't bad, though. I did get caught in rush hour traffic going through Seattle. I woke up one morning to snowflakes and sprinkling but that was all. It was extremely windy as I headed south from Weed, California which resulted in a lot of riding sideways

Fun trip, awesome bike
Attached Images

VixObs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,668
Nice score. I looked at one of these which was for sale at the Barber festival. I'm going to own one of these (or something similar from MG) in the near future.
Badge320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Cool bike!
WMRRA #98
JJGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
LookoutMountainTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Fairing

I really like the fairing on your Guzzi and would like to have one like it for my recently purchased Breva 1100.
LookoutMountainTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
jas67
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
NICE! That is one of my favorite Guzzis!
Honda: 01 VFR800, 76 CB400F, 68 CL175, plus other vintage Hondas.
2007 Vespa GTS250ie
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,614
Great bikes. Easy to maintain. On the sporty side of sport-touring. Nice Ohlins suspension on the 2003 Rosso Corsa and 2004 Nero Corsa versions of the LeMans. Rare birds, too. Only about 50 of each in the USA.

I have a 2004 Nero Corsa with just over 40,000 on the clock. It's been a great bike. Solo touring. 2-up touring. Hepco + Becker bags. Trailer. And it'll hold its own on any curvy road!

IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
Superzoom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Way more pics, please!
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
VixObs OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzoom View Post
Way more pics, please!
Here's another pic.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
VixObs OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Great bikes. Easy to maintain. On the sporty side of sport-touring. Nice Ohlins suspension on the 2003 Rosso Corsa and 2004 Nero Corsa versions of the LeMans. Rare birds, too. Only about 50 of each in the USA.

I have a 2004 Nero Corsa with just over 40,000 on the clock. It's been a great bike. Solo touring. 2-up touring. Hepco + Becker bags. Trailer. And it'll hold its own on any curvy road!
Rocker, I've seen your posts around. Good stuff. Your set-up looks great. I won't need the trailer though cause I like to travel light. I'm undecided about which cases to get. Either the Givi's or the Hepco&Becker. I've been using Kriega bags on my Street Triple and they've worked wonderfully, but it will be nice to have hard cases.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,176
Reminds me of my '02 Le Mans. It was the hard to find Champaign color. It was a festering piece of shit. I loved it. I hated it. I miss it.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #11
Suncoast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Congrats !!

Congrats on the purchase, is that the one that was listed on the Vancouver Craigslist that originally came up from Oregon? I was drooling over that trying to figure out how I could swing it!!! Very cool and it looks like a keeper!!
Old 11-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #12
Wobbleside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Nice bike!
I've been thinking about one for a while, been in the same boat. I love my Monster but it's not so great during the rainy season. I'm looking at the Futura, ST3, Multistrada (620 or 1000DS or 1100 S. I really enjoyed the 620 the most so far but want more adjustable suspension). My housemate just bought a Norge and loves it, I've ridden it a lot it's a little to heavy for my tastes (right now) but I like the looks of the V11 Le Mans and it's what.. 500ish pounds? With shaft drive and a big twin.. sounds awesome.
Wobbleside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #13
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by VixObs View Post
I had been looking for a bike to use for sport touring for about a year now. All the ones I had been considering (BMW F800ST, Aprilia Futura, Honda VFR, Ducati ST3), were either too big, too bland and/or overpriced. Now of course, my Street Triple can do it all. After putting 53k miles on it in three years there's no doubt. But, I wanted to have two bikes and have a good balance between them. I wanted to find something that moved me as much as my Triumph does.

I came across the Moto Guzzi V11 range of bikes. My mechanic happened to have a sport model in the back of his shop. He used to work on them and knows them well. I saw a Rosso Corsa in person at Laguna Seca last year and loved the styling and design. There's only so much reading and researching you can do. It's hard to decide on getting a bike without test riding it beforehand. This past September I found what seemed like a perfect specimen of a Rosso Corsa. Only thing was that it was in Vancouver BC Canada. Initially that was a deterrent from getting it but I realized it was a good price for a rare bike that was in great condition. After reviewing photos and video from the seller, talking to him over the phone and getting advice from my mechanic, I decided to go for it.

It was a perfect opportunity for a fly & ride. A one way ticket to Vancouver and if it all checked out, I'd ride it back down to Southern California. If not, I'd spend a day or two in Vancouver and fly back. Well, it all checked out. The timing was perfect as I missed all the rain. It was a straight shot down the 5 freeway. I left on Monday and returned on Thursday. I figured if anything was going to go wrong with the bike it would during the 1400 miles it took me to get home. I had no problems whatsoever.

I love this bike The sound and feel of it is amazing. It's hard deciding which one to ride everyday. It's different in so many ways than the Street Triple. It is slightly taller but I adjusted to it with a little bit more planning on where and how I stopped. At 5'4" I'm actually tippy-toed on it. I'll most likely get the seat modified. It's 100lbs heavier, but is well balanced. It has a larger engine but less HP and more torque. The ergos are very comfortable. The previous owner added bar risers and heated grips. The half fairing makes a big difference at highway speeds. The only thing I think I'll add are some hard cases.

My only regret is that I couldn't spend more time in Vancouver and the areas that I passed through in Washington and Oregon. I did take one unplanned detour through Wolfe Creek in Oregon so I was able to test it out on some twisties. The 5 freeway wasn't bad, though. I did get caught in rush hour traffic going through Seattle. I woke up one morning to snowflakes and sprinkling but that was all. It was extremely windy as I headed south from Weed, California which resulted in a lot of riding sideways

Fun trip, awesome bike

Know the bike well, my buddy sold it to you. Alas, I was offered it for purchase over a year ago, but my 52 yr old knees cannot deal with that sitting position any more,,,,,even had to sell my '01 V11 Sport. They really are cool bikes, highly under-rated especially if you are in the "spec comparison game",,,I could pull my buddy out of a corner every time with his MV Agusta,,,of course as soon as he wound it up, he'd pass me 1/4 mile down the straight. But straight lines are no fun anyways.
Enjoy!!! It's a lovely machine.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #14
Street Hawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Enjoy! Love my V11 Sport. Not anywhere near the fastest I've owned but something about a Guzzi that really grows on ya.

By streethawk46 at 2011-08-11
Old 11-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #15
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,656
I'm feeling the V11 love

Rosso Mandello #60 bought new and owned a little over a year. Added Mistral CF exhaust.

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote