ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #16
Coopsdad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
If anyone wants to get just a single unit, I know where you can get them for $290 outright. I bought one myself.
Coopsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #17
Ranger Rob
Out and about...

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmo View Post
Also, noticed with charging, you CAN'T run these connected to 12v as you can the GPS Map CSX, AND use the thing at the same time - when you have it plugged in to charge, it won't turn on - it only charges!

So you would have to remember to charge it overnight whilst camping (charging it wouldn't flatten your battery). You can do this either via the USB cable/Mini USB, via the AC charger which connects to the 2 pin plug, or the 12v adapter which connects to the 2 pin plug.
+1
Used the Rino in the 4x4 for the last couple of days as a radio only.

Couldn't work out what was going-on as the thing was constantly OFF when i checked it. Disconnect the 12V charger and all was fine and dandy!

Bottom line..... Use it then charge it overnight.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #18
Ranger Rob
Out and about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopsdad View Post
If anyone wants to get just a single unit, I know where you can get them for $290 outright. I bought one myself.
Go on.... Spill your guts!

That is good info for some guys on here that would like one.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:41 AM   #19
Coopsdad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Got mine from a guy named Dwayne. He has a little company called dirtbike comms. PM me if you want his number. I bought mine over the phone as he's in Melbourne and I'm in Brisbane. Had the the unit on my doorstep 2 days after paying for it. He does headsets as well. I think thats what he specializes in. Can't give you an opinion on the headset as hes sending me an adaptor for the Garmin Rhino to get it to work but the unit itself is pretty sweet.
Coopsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #20
Bigfella66
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thumb Dirtbikecomms

Hi

I have dealth with dirtbikecomms and bought a Garmin Rino 650. I spoke to Dwayne and asked for a good deal. I bought the Rino with two maps (Road Guidance and Oztopo) for $390. Also I purchased a headset and mount for the Rino.Dwayne also mentioned he is developing an adaptor to run an ipod, mobile phone and Rino together.

Cheers
Bigfella66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #21
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Rob View Post
+1
Used the Rino in the 4x4 for the last couple of days as a radio only.

Couldn't work out what was going-on as the thing was constantly OFF when i checked it. Disconnect the 12V charger and all was fine and dandy!

Bottom line..... Use it then charge it overnight.
Yes, bit disappointing that you can't just leave it connected full time and run it off 12v, as I also found out! As you say...charge overnight, then use it. On the upside, the lithium ion battery pack will last 16 hours or so. If you enable the battery saver mode it blanks the screen after a certain delay - then it will light up again as soon as you press it - this will save battery power too.

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:23 AM   #22
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Quote:
Yes, bit disappointing that you can't just leave it connected full time and run it off 12v, as I also found out! As you say...charge overnight, then use it. On the upside, the lithium ion battery pack will last 16 hours or so. If you enable the battery saver mode it blanks the screen after a certain delay - then it will light up again as soon as you press it - this will save battery power too.
I charged my unit today again with the 240v adapter and it stayed on! I swear when I first charged it with 240v, it turned off/ Anyway, maybe the 12v charger connected to it WILL allow the unit to remain functional after all - will need to purchase one and try it.

I verified that the USB charging option definitely does turn the unit off so it can't be used whilst charging/connected to usb.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:43 AM   #23
35000km 05 X
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37

I think its a good price
i got 2 so i can c my girlfriend track when i riding so i know she is alright
the send position is by far better then the radio

Ps u can add a heart rate monitor & bike cadence transmitters i have both
i have lots of pushies

35000km 05 X screwed with this post 01-01-2012 at 11:51 PM
35000km 05 X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #24
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,523
Quote:
I charged my unit today again with the 240v adapter and it stayed on! I swear when I first charged it with 240v, it turned off/ Anyway, maybe the 12v charger connected to it WILL allow the unit to remain functional after all - will need to purchase one and try it.

I verified that the USB charging option definitely does turn the unit off so it can't be used whilst charging/connected to usb.
I'd like to be able to run one from the 12v supply on the bike myself, so if it turns itself off that's a big deal breaker (again) for me.

Why can't Garmin just get them to work like the trusty 60 series? Sheesh!

Looking forward to hearing how it works.
GodSilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #25
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,443
Does anyone know why Garmin halved the price?

New and improved model coming out?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #26
ozphotog OP
OZPHOTOG

Oddometer: 226
As far as I know, the 650 IS a new model.

Maybe just a promo to get them out onto the market.

The half price deal is only available from certain outlets. A friend of mine runs Olbis Commmunications and has not been able to offer the 2 for 1 deal.
www.scdetailing.com
ozphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #27
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

I'm really interested as the feature set looks impressive.

Can any of you guys who have these units confirm the SMS text feature and the mate location feature ?

Over what range do these work? Eg because it's text does the UHF only need limited signal strength to send the message ?

These 2 features seem to be awesome I reckon
Old 01-05-2012, 03:31 AM   #28
Ranger Rob
Out and about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
I'm really interested as the feature set looks impressive.

Can any of you guys who have these units confirm the SMS text feature and the mate location feature ?

Over what range do these work? Eg because it's text does the UHF only need limited signal strength to send the message ?

These 2 features seem to be awesome I reckon

Hi,
As far as the "mate location" function goes it all works OK. Whenever one party transmits on the radio there location is upgraded on others screens. Everything seems to work pretty well in real life with this one, however...

I really must warn that even though these units are 5 watt transmit they do not come close to the other radios that i use (Uniden UH075 with an aftermarket antenna ) as far as transmission and reception goes.
Even with the squelch turned down very low on the Rino units they sit silent whilst the Uniden radio barks out conversations on channel. Don't get me wrong though, the Rino units are good units as a radio for flat terrain but with even mildly undulating landscape around you had better get yourself to the top of a hill to converse.

Having said that, these Rino units are still ahead of any of the 0.5, 0.7, 1and 2 watt radios out there (as they should be) and as far as the GPS reception goes they have consistently been more on target than my Garmin GPS map60CSX.
We have been using all of the above mentioned equipment extensively over the last 3 or so weeks (daily basis) whilst camping, kayaking and geocaching with the kids.

As far as the "text" feature goes, the kids are able to work out how to send a message to each other (such as "you stink", or "you kissed a boy") and apparently it all worked. I cannot vouch for the range of this type of messaging but will endeavour to try it for you ASAP. No promises....holidays are crazy and i'm meant to go for a ride next week.

Just remember that i am not (nor pretend to be) an expert in anything GPS or Comminications wise. I have spent many years working all over the world aboard ships where GPS and radios are part of everyday life. That's all.

I hope that my experiences can be taken on board with those of other users to help you make up your mind one way or the other.
For the record though, i do like these Rino units and am glad that i bought them.

Regards,
Ranger Rob
Old 01-05-2012, 04:32 AM   #29
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

THANKYOU RR.

Really appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #30
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
I'd like to be able to run one from the 12v supply on the bike myself, so if it turns itself off that's a big deal breaker (again) for me.

Why can't Garmin just get them to work like the trusty 60 series? Sheesh!

Looking forward to hearing how it works.

OK, I bought the 12v charger for the Rino - it steps the voltage down from 11.5-30v to 9-10v DC. So don't think you can run one of these straight off 12v if you can find the right connector. Maybe they do this so you HAVE to purchase their car charger! I'd much rather have a Merit type plug than the usual car cig lighter type, so having to use Garmins one means you need an adapter if you have a Merit plug (BMW type) on your bike.

I can confirm that the unit STAYS ON once connected to the 12v though! Which is a good thing.

Re the update of the position of other Rinos on screen, I believe there is a polling feature that enables you to push the button on your unit, which sends a request out to the other units to send their location automatically - if I interpret the manual correctly. Therefor you are not reliant on the other units transmitting before getting an update of their position. This all works of course only if they are in radio range.

I'm really enjoying using mine, the touch screen works really well (with gloves on or off) and is a lot easier to use than the buttons on my 60csx.

Wilmo screwed with this post 01-05-2012 at 09:12 PM