User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Oddometer: 306
P-Town to Phoenix via a wet PCH

Hit Portland early Wed am. I took the day to get organized in check the bike out. It was my first time getting my habds on it and getting all my gear sorted. I am traveling heavy but I am mostly blaming the weather for that. I can t wait for warm sunny skies and a lighter kit someday. Here I am just getting started Thurdays 11/16

AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Well, you certainly picked the weather for this weekend! If you find yourself 25 miles east of LA and need a cup of coffee ping me!

cheers,
Steve in So Cal
Old 11-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
McFuryMcNugget
me specie in dea ist

Oddometer: 499
Stop

Stop right there.

You will get oxygen and wind on you.

You realize this dont you.

So stop this Now.

Have a good trip.

McFury
Attached Images

Whats next ? Man walking on the moon ?.
All typing is done with One Finger using a MacPro Computer.
McFuryMcNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

So I wasnt trying to for the boring thread in the world just making sure it worked. So here I go!!

Went to the ducati dealership in Portland to possible get a bigger jacket. Rode my bike there just to get a feel for it and had a point man in a jeep. Was a good idea to get a feel for things. Gonna get up early the next day and leave. OH WAIT guess what I left at the dealership. MY WALLET. What a dumbass back to the shop. SO burned the whole first day running around portland got packed and hit the road mid morning the next day(Thursday).

Went from West Linn to Coos Bay on the first day brutal effin weather and getting worse! I really just wanted to out run snow. Every where I stopped people looked at me like I was a complete idiot. It didnt phase I have gotten that look my whole like. I made it Coos Bay and a hotel with a hot tub. Hung up all my gear to dry and then to get it after it again tomorrow. Here are a couple of pics of my first full day of riding.

Look at that wave kicking up in the background!!! Awesome weather!!!!

Riding the dunes!! Well looking at the dunes!!! More black skies!

Its at the end of days like this that you really appreciate the little things. It just seems so sensible.

The bike is amazing so far. I haven't really been able to trust the wet pavement but I am still digging my new whip and can see what it has to offer.. I need dry roads!!! I am sure the performance will exceed my ability I have been out of the saddle for a bit.

I guess if it were easy everyone would be doing it.

Teaser for my next post...Day two the weather was even worse. I only made 140 miles. Two of my 3 buffer days for the trip burned early!!!!

More rainy coast but under all that gear there is still a big smile!!!!

Old 11-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Day 2 of riding on my jet ski adventure

So I head out of Coos bay with lots of optimism. That is squashed in a matter of minutes and I push through it. The rain is just coming in buckets. I am sad that I am wasting all these amazing turns but not really many options. I actually have a glimpse of the bright thing in the sky then it disappears. I make it to Crescent City and need some hot soup or something before pushing on. As I have lunch the sky goes black!!! Well 2 in the afternoon and basically unrideable conditions guess it time to get a hotel room. South the weather is hammered dogshit but there ends being a little sucker hole of sun over the glorious town of crescent city. I take a little ride with no gear into the Jedediah Redwoods. I even had the opportunity to enjoy some of the curves.

More gray coast. Still smiling I think.

Still gotta rock my Grundens...AK Style!

A milestone...I thought this place was suppose to be sunny?

Locals

What is that shining through the tress? Its hurting my eyes!!!

Still loving it and starting to really ride the bike. Where is the dry pavement? I actually feel shame like I wasting corners but until the rain chills a little I will be chill. Note to self...next PCH trip try October!

Misc Pics

There is a quote that keeps going through my head as I keep moving with no sign of improving weather. "If you are gonna be dumb you better be tough!" So far I am proving at least half of it.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Another Day but little rain!!! Dreaming of my next leg to Mexico

In the unseasonable cold weather. All the weather reports are not positive but I keep making the best of it. I had taken a nice little ride in some not rain with no bags where in Crescent CIty. Up and at it pretty early as there is not a lot to see in here. I do wake up to no rain yep I said it there was actually no rain.

Great turns through the redwoods and little traffic. Even people in cars werent dumb enough to be on the raod.

I guess you gotta do it right?

What a great day of riding!!! Almost no rain all day and close to 400 miles. This is more how iwas expecting things to be. In Santa Rosa for the night and going for a few well earned beers!!!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Another day of down pour

At this point I am a duck! I wake up in Santa Rosa and want to see Dillion Beach. So I am off not mattter the weather. Well I actuallyI am off to a slow start. I have a pretty bad headache not sure why...it is for sure not the Pabst bottles that were on sale. Must be something else. I stare out the window for a while looking at the rain. I think maybe its time for a down day. Argh I haven't been putting many miles down Hell with it I will push on!! It wont be that bad.

It is the bad. Only 30 miles into the day and thinking about turning back to Santa Rosa. Dillion Beach looks like it could be cool but I don't think that it is that cool today. I decide to push on to San Fran and I want to stop a BMW shop.

That coast never gets old!

Yes I take a pic every time I see it.

I make it to San Fran and don't have enough money for the toll. I forgot to go to the ATM after the previously mentioned Pabst special I think did take all my money. After a Golden Gate ordeal and dropping my bike(no pics) I finally got some pics.

Alcataz...wanted to go check it out but not enough time.

It was a tough day due to more harsh weather and a little too much fun in Santa Rosa. Back on track now and rewarded with a great sunset just north of Santa Cruz. Life is damn good!!! More miles and maybe sun tomorrow.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Day 6 THE SUN

I know that all these updates at once but I kept a journal so they are pretty accurate. Just never seemed like there was enough time on the road. Anyway on to waking up in Santa Cruz

I cant believe my eyes I actually wake up to the sun!!! It is day 6 and I am really looking forward to today. Almost immeadiatley cruising Cali farmland with the ocean in the background. Its pretty cool. Cali has a lot of great scenery. Its hard not to stop more often and take more pics. It is "unseasonable cold" today and all over Cali but I dont care its not raining and I dont thin that it is going to!!!!!

That looks like it takes a long damn time

This farmer has one hell of a spot.

Completing the almost perfect landscape.

Lunch in Monterey

The sun makes those great coastal pics even better!!! What a day!! And the corners were endless!! Saw a sign that said curves for the next 74 miles!!! I think "it" moved a little!!!! (Seinfield reference). One of my top 5 days of riding ever!! The punishing weather makes you really appreciate this more.

Misc coast pics during a killer day of riding!

[

Photo Thx to another GS rider, but he was in a car. Thx anyway

Finishing up a great day!!! My shoulders are actually sore from two days of corners!! What a great feeling. And great to be throwing a fully loaded bike side to side and banging gears!!! I am one happy new BMW owner right now!! Does it get any better?

Old 11-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

TIme to head east

Crashed in Arroyo Grande for the night. Caught some Monday night football and watche the Pats win!! Just a topper on a great day. Did the things that come with a road trip. Laundry talked with cyclist that were also form Alaska and doin almost the exact same trip. They quit their jobs and just went for it! Good for them and got me thinkning again of thats really what I want to do and head to Terra del Fuego. For now I will stick to my fly and ride segmented trip. The cyclists were staying in the US but they were off for months and that sounded nice!!! My next leg is two weeks from Phoenix and then leave the bike in Mexico.

Annnnnnyyyyyway back to where I am at. Its funny that I am doing something that many people dream of but yet I keep dreaming bigger. I guess you have nothing without big dreams.

So here are a few more pics of the coast which I could just not get enough of!

Now I am off heading East on 166 to Death Valley. Good bye corners. makes me sad. Haha I really didn't know how much straight and flat I was in for but I had to see it. I got my wish but the poor GS wants some corners.

This is a lake just outside of Arroyo Grande.

I stopped to watch some cowboys work. Was a nice place to stop for a few. I raise my fist in most of my pics b/c I am pumped!! Pmumped to not be at work! Pumped to be on a bike! Pumped to be riding!!

Some cool landscape

Oil Well in the middle of Agriculture. I especially like this since I work in the oil industry and love the outdoors. I also like the irony of it. I did not know that eastern Cali had as much oil industry as it does.

Very different that the wells we have in AK

Getting closer to DV

It wasnt the most exciting drive but I made it. It was cool to see totally different landscape.

Another great sunset.

I have been doing really well at not riding at night. Don't get to see much dangerous and not fun. Getting dark now in DV so I am going to camp out for my first night of the trip. The weather is still pretty darn chilly but about like a summer day in AK. Finally using some gear I have been dragging around this entire trip.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,956

So glad you are enjoying my homeland! I haven't been there for decades. I was most impressed with your Santa Cruz farmland pics. I lived in the area for most of my first 40 years and never saw that! Now Salinas has those remarkable laser flat acres of produce, but no ocean in the background.

My favorite Thanksgiving of all time was as a newlywed about 1975. I rented a small motorhome and we did DV just the two of us. Even climbed those jeep roads with that thing to get the views. Priceless! The owner wasn't too thrilled when I returned it, though. We BBQ turkey legs in a fire pit at the bottom of the Valley. Unbelievable!

Kids...

Keep it coming. You are a good story teller with great pics. -Thanks
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Vegas for a couple of nights

So I wake up in DV. I was warm but it was a little chilly in DV for the night. Was great to camp and use my gear. I have noticed that I forgot my sweet titanium spoon in AK. Made eating my delicious mountain house a little tough. Improvised a spoon with the top of the fuel bottle from my stove. If you look close in the dark pictures there is a little friend checking out my set up. I did not feed him but there was something near by that he was into.

Sweet place to wake up. Was nice not to wake up in a hotel at least one night

The DV dunes

My lowest point ever in life

My last two shot from DV

Just outside of Vegas

My best buddy for the trip...the gorilla pod with level

There’s Vegas! I hope that I survive!!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Vegas and the End

Some standard Vegas pics

Giant screens above Freemont(the OG strip)

We stayed in ph but I wanted to see where it all started

Tried to get my new crush on the beamer but we exceeded payload just in boob

OK enough of that side show. If you've been you know what goes down there. I had fun but I was also ready to go. Two nights in Vegas were more expensive than my other 11 days on the road. So a late start for obvious reasons and off to Lake Mead.

Oh yeah finally a warm sunny day!! Over 70 the whole day. I didn’t even know that this could exist.
Damn that bike makes me look good!!!

My last true night on the road staying at a buddies in Maricopa AZ where I will store the bike until Jan

Not exciting pics just like the reality of ending a road trip. But where the bike will live for the next 6-8 weeks.

Well I am back in the AK now at work and dreaming of being back on the road. I am getting my dates all figured out but in Jan Feb I will be taking 2 weeks off and then 2 weeks of work and a month off to Belize and beyond, hopefully Costa Rica!! I have a few reservations about solo and my lack of Spanish. I am working on it but I am running out of time. I am also trying to figure out if it is better not to end up all the way in CR and have to ship the bike back to states(logistics pain in the ass). Maybe do a loop hitting Belize and Guatemala then loop back to Cancun or La Paz for storage. My thought is that I won’t be able to get a month off again for a while but I can get two weeks. I can fly and ride from Cancun or La Paz back to states in 2 weeks. Lots to think about instead of actually working.

Right now I am just focusing on my two weeker to Mexico and I will decisions after that trip. One trip and plane ticket at a time. One set of logistics. Open to any input and hopefully you enjoyed my ride report. I will spice the Mexico one up some!!!! Heres to sand surf and cerveza!!!

You can see all my photos at http://akjts.smugmug.com/. Your welcome baldy for the donation and supporting your habit!!!