User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2015, 06:24 PM   #1
jtw000 OP
Survivor

Oddometer: 578
BMW G650x Country rebuild/restore.

I'm the owner of a much beloved BMW G650x. We've been through a lot together. I bought her after my F800gs was stolen, only because I knew it was cheap to run and wanted a bike to ride to work that I could green-lane at weekends. I chose the Country over the Challenge entirely because of the more comfortable seat, knowing I'd be on it for long periods of time. I commuted for 2 years, never did she play up, not even a little bit.
I ended up using her for some trips, the first was a month touring Europe. She wasn't ideally suited for the fast roads dragging two of us around but she did it. I prepped her up with spare fuel, tools and luggage. She looked like this...

She did a great job so I rode her across the Middle-East into Asia. I changed some of the things I didn't like about the setup. The biggest change was moving the spare fuel tank to the side.

She took some serious abuse on that one but took it like a champ and gave me no trouble. That's more than can be said for the KTM I rode with.
Once in Asia I ended up settling in Cambodia. I used Bella for my daily bike as motorcycles are welcome and nobody really cares about such trivial things as laws. She was starting to show the signs of a hard life. Bolts rattled loose, etc. I had a full service done by a good mechanic, she got a clean bill of health but a warning that I had to take better care of her or she'd start giving me trouble.

She had a problem. The HID lights burnt out and the replacement I got here was a piece of crap. Consequently it did some damage to the dash which began fading in and out of life. After a while, the guy who rode with me asked to borrow her for a trip around Asia. He fitted his own GPS to the wiring loom. I couldn't imagine how anything could possibly go wrong, but of course it did.

She suffered a minor electrical fire and the loom was shot. She still moved and got him through Thailand, Laos and back to her new home in Phnom Penh. He must have rode damn hard, every bolt was loose, everything was held on with cable ties when she got back. She was now a basket-case. I had 2 choices. Retire her or rebuild her. So... she's a project.
I managed to get a new loom, no small feat as I'm living in Cambodia where supplies are sketchy. THe ABS system is gone, it was damaged and I never trusted it. It never let me down but I had a BMW R1200gs and an F800gs and both of them had ABS which nearly killed me. I won't miss it. The exhaust is damaged so that will also need replacing.
So far the bike is stripped. The engine is in good condition, against all the odds, there's absolutely no wear or tear inside. There's scuffing to the frame and engine sides so the frame and covers are all off for powder-coating this week.
Progress on this might be slow. I've got a friend in town, he's a mechanic. He's taking a ride next week so after helping me strip her down (thanks, Kingsley) I've got a week to let the powder-coater do his stuff. Hopefully I can get her back up on her legs before he leaves at the end of July. He's back in November and will bring any stuff I can't source locally so fingers crossed on that.

And as she stand now, just a collection of bits, hardly a bike. I reckon matt black but I might go gloss. I really can't decide.

Thanks for reading. Jack
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
waylongway
madmax

Oddometer: 819
Demo Day...

My wife would kill me if I did that to the patio
Old 07-04-2015, 08:29 PM   #3
jtw000 OP
Survivor

Ha, the third picture is in the kitchen! It's different in Cambodia, nobody cares what you do. It's quite liberating up to a point.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:15 AM   #4
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,075
Old 07-05-2015, 09:13 AM   #5
Alt_Red
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Definitely following this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alt_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #6
jtw000 OP
Survivor

Why has this been moved to the garage??? Well anyway, off to the powder-coaters today. This morning though, I have to go to work. I'm teaching summer school. I have 7 weeks to teach two different grades. I went in to collect my books and they gave me a copy of Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and a shrug. The education system is so haphazard in Cambodia that a few years ago they brought in international standard testing and 11 children in the country passed.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:22 PM   #7
flinders_72
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
I think a bike like this has the potential for customisation much like the Yam SR400. I've always liked their simplicity. I gather you're returning it to stock condition?
flinders_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:28 PM   #8
jtw000 OP
Survivor

No, not stock. I'm going to make her look a bit different. She's been modified many times so she's used to it. Being ripped apart and thrown in a bucket of soapy water might have been a surprise to her though.
Old Yesterday, 01:56 AM   #9
jtw000 OP
Survivor

Disaster! I just took the parts down to the powder-coater. I had dropped in the other day, explained what I had and he quoted around $140 to do the whole lot. I added the clutch basket and water pump cover and told him I appreciated that this would add a little extra cost. He rubbed his chin and said it would now be $500. He started making up things and clearly didn't want to do the job. I carefully explained he was a piece of crap and took my bits home.
The tutuk rider tried to steal my money and on the way, a scooter cut through a gap and the pillion went head first into a mirror and probably lost half his face.
This is pretty much the usual story in Cambodia, unfortunately. Last time I powder-coated some parts at a different place, a quote of a week stretched into three months and half the parts weren't done properly.
I have a plan B which is having my regular guy do a paint job. I'd rather powder-coat but that's the way it goes.
So...
Old Yesterday, 05:53 AM   #10
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
JTW, would mind copying and moving at least your original post here over to the general XCo thread.

Many of the XCo people go there and your post would be interesting for them.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...90240&page=671

leafman60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM   #11
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

I admire you, by the way.

My suggestion would be to paint evrything back as close to original colors as is possible.
Old Yesterday, 07:19 AM   #12
jtw000 OP
Survivor

It's been moved twice already but if the mods agree I don't mind. I actually feel like the stock colours are pretty much as good as you could ask for but why paint it and not make a change. To be honest, and a little romantic, I'm living a dream here. I've always wanted to tear a bike down and build it back from the ground up. It's even better when it's a bike I love.
My girlfriend is in the province till tomorrow so hopefully in the PM we'll run down to my usual mechanic and look at getting it painted. In the mean time, I have a more existential crisis. I've been offered an affordable set of Challenge scoops and I'm tempted to swap her over to the sexier Challenge styling. Of course, then she wouldn't be a 'Country'. I don't know... lots to think about.
Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM   #13
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

I copied it to the XCo thread.
Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM   #14
Alt_Red
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Get the challenge scoops then paint them black in homage to the x-co!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alt_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:10 AM   #15
jtw000 OP
Survivor

I think I've made my mind up. I'm sticking to the classic X-Country bodywork. I have other bikes which are just for show, let's keep this one functional.