Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #2851
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
I drive a truck, and this is just plain bullshit.

And if you want to go 3500 or 6000 (what Kawasaki suggests) it's up to you. I wouldn't ever suggest to anyone that that's a good idea tho. And if you're pointing to the Kawasaki manual for guidance, I'd ask you where the 6th gear is ? Kawasaki is a big outfit, and the KLR is just a minor pimple on the corporate butt. If they make a mistake, they're slow to correct it and can always hide behind disclaimers and weasel words.
Reading your comments over several posts - in my opinion, you are perpetuating, " ... a lot of 'expert' regurgitating of tribal myths about oil.' without giving us reasoned and substantiated evidence. Lots of opinion, no substance. Show us the evidence (apologies to Carfax)?

If the KLR is to Kawasaki a minor pimple, where does that place your (pimple) opinion?

As I said, I have yet to find or hear of an oil related failure in a KLR other than low oil.

Tsotsie screwed with this post 06-26-2012 at 05:00 PM
Tsotsie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #2852
mxboy96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
'12 engine noise

hey guys. My bikes starting to make a strange sizzling/growly noise from the engine case. She's a '12 KLR650 with 1200miles so far. It's still covered under warranty thankfully, but none the less just concerned and curious if you guys have had any related problems? It's more prominent on the left side, at about 3-4grand. It's getting more noticeable/louder as the days go on. Possibly a doohickey failure? idk. what do you guys think?
Old 06-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #2853
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Tank bag?

I have a 8 year old Nelson Rigg magnetic tank bag that goes from my other bike to the KLR whenever needed. It has been stitched back together in several places and is loosing its black color due to sun exposure. Keep a few essentials in it and the controller for my heated vest velcro's on the left side. I run an power cord into it to charge my electronics.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #2854
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxboy96 View Post
hey guys. My bikes starting to make a strange sizzling/growly noise from the engine case. She's a '12 KLR650 with 1200miles so far. It's still covered under warranty thankfully, but none the less just concerned and curious if you guys have had any related problems? It's more prominent on the left side, at about 3-4grand. It's getting more noticeable/louder as the days go on. Possibly a doohickey failure? idk. what do you guys think?
My 08 has had a harmonic vibration at 3K rpm for the last 35K+ miles. Several other rider have reported the same.
If the noise comes and goes at the same rpm it could be that or there is something loose that is vibrating at those rpm's. How mechanically inclined are you?

Can you give us more information? Under power, off the power? On particular roads or anywhere?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #2855
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
For those of you who post that you use "Rotella" oil, which one do you use?...

plain ol' "T"?...

"T5"?...

"T6"?...

Plain old dino 15W40.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #2856
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,299
Picked up a set of those cheap pegs from fleabay that don't include the springs. Where can I find springs for these?

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #2857
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
I have yet to hear of an oil related issue other than low oil on the KLR. Trucks are running over 100K between changes on this stuff! There is a lot of 'expert' regurgitating of tribal myths about oil.

I regularly run over 3k miles on trips (in one week on the same oil) without changing it - using Rotella 15-40. These include the Southern Texas heat where my oil runs within dino healthy specs of close to 250 degrees (got it down to 230 using cooling fins on the case). The bike, an 08 with 41K and a 685 typically uses about 1/8" on the sight glass in a 3400 mile ride with several 700+ day milages.

Oils that meet the spec that Kawa suggests are all good!

Ride more, worry less!

My post had nothing to do with worry. Worry is based on speculation. I stated a fact. My high-dollar, ester-based, 20W50 oil was whipped to shit after 2500 miles...the laboratory's findings, not mine.

Also, I wasn't trying to start an "oil" argument. I was simply asking the guys (who use Rotella) which one they use, as that will be my next victim.

Tsotsie, I appreciate your input. And, I guess your "over 3K miles" trips might seem scientific to you. However, if it's alright, I would just rather stick with what the laboratory has to say about my oil.

In regard to your other point, I don't think anyone would argue that oil-related failures (in respect to the KLR) are rare. Despite that, oil analysis is not about failure. Oil analysis is about knowing about the oil in your machine, which prevents damage over the long-term, thereby mitigating the risk of failure.

Another fact (put forth by "685", I believe) is that oil in the KLR does double duty. It acts as engine lubrication and as transmission fluid. Heat, regular RPM's, etc. are all "factors". Viscosity (or lack thereof) is a fact.

When it comes to oil, everyone in this thread (or any thread) could argue 'til the cows come home. Despite that, oil analysis (science) is where the rubber meets the road...and that's what puts an end to myths.

*Once again, thanks to all the Rotella users who responded, and to 685 (whose post pretty-much confirmed what I already knew...good oil, changed often).*

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #2858
<RP><
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asatrur View Post
I have a 00 that needs to have the assembly with the mirror mount, turn signal and high beam switch on it and I am wondering how do I get the grip off without ruining it, as I do not have a replacement for it and will not for a few weeks.
Thanks,
Asa
Use compressed air, it floats the grip on or off. Just angle the nozzle under the inside of the grip and and the air do its thing. More of a plug-n-play approach since you won't have to wait for hairspray or other adhesives to dry.
<RP>< is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:21 AM   #2859
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,867
Quote:
When it comes to oil, everyone in this thread (or any thread) could argue 'til the cows come home. Despite that, oil analysis (science) is where the rubber meets the road...and that's what puts an end to myths.
Appreciate your sharing your conclusions from your oil analysis report.

Could you provide some granularity and detail? That is, some numerical values of the parameters measured.

Also, some indication of test values when oil is serviceable, and becomes unserviceable, would be interesting.

Kawasaki recommends oil change intervals of 6000 miles; what oil change interval does your scientific testing suggest as appropriate?

Looking forward to the conclusions, and I would hope, the data, from your Rotella oil analysis (Rotella T 15W-40?).
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:54 AM   #2860
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Picked up a set of those cheap pegs from fleabay that don't include the springs. Where can I find springs for these?

Thanks!

I have the same pegs and ordered a set of DR650 footpeg springs (I used 1996 model year springs, a couple of bucks each from RockyMountainATV) as mentioned by others. It required the grind off about 1/3 of the peg base, AFTER I had cut off the spacer on the peg. Not sure that I'm super comfortable with that much cut off, but it's working thus far.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:02 AM   #2861
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Oil discussions are the herpes/cold sores of ADV threads. You think they're gone but sure enough, even though nobody wants to go through it again, there's another ugly outbreak with no cure. It festers for a while, gets picked bloody and finally recedes below the surface until the next time for the umpteenth time somebody has the absolute end all everything for everybody bestest of all time cannot be disputed definitive answer.

Where's that coffee...think I'll go for a ride and shear up some baby dinosaurs in my transmission...

John
Old 06-27-2012, 05:07 AM   #2862
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Tsotsie, I appreciate your input. And, I guess your "over 3K miles" trips might seem scientific to you. However, if it's alright, I would just rather stick with what the laboratory has to say about my oil.

Another fact (put forth by "685", I believe) is that oil in the KLR does double duty. It acts as engine lubrication and as transmission fluid. Heat, regular RPM's, etc. are all "factors". Viscosity (or lack thereof) is a fact.
There are no claims whatsoever about anything 'scientific' on my part in my statement of use over 3K miles. You are reading into my use, 'facts' that are not there. I and others have for many decades read and have used oil analysis in several industries and vehicles and am aware of what their use is. Mostly to check for what is wearing in the motor or assembly - the change intervals already having been established.

The KLR is not the only motor that has used the engine oil for double duty. It is and has been common anong motorcycles. The original Austin Mini's, as an example, dating back to the late 1950's + did that so there is ample evidence on record in cars too - and the oils back then were not as good as they are now.

While there will be degredation in oils during use, I have yet to become aware of even 1 engine failure in the KLR that can be attributed to old oil. Low oil, yes. Longevity, as Xdrag asks, "Also, some indication of test values when oil is serviceable, and becomes unserviceable, would be interesting? ". Guys with KLR's have been doing 'oil analysis for years' - but in isolation, that is all there is. Then there are those in other forums (owner) who supervised an oil change station ( that took a dive and closed) who then became an oil authority based upon what some oil salesman told him.

Longevity in motors are more, much more than the oil used. While I use Rotella because of the extra zinc, and everyone needs to use and change whatever makes them feel warm, the need to be more specific in a discussion beyond regurgitated 'tribal knowledge' , is needed.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:09 AM   #2863
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
...somebody has the absolute end all everything for everybody bestest of all time cannot be disputed definitive answer.

Where's that coffee...think I'll go for a ride and shear up some baby dinosaurs in my transmission...

John

+ 1 - absolutely!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #2864
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxboy96 View Post
That sounds like a happy doo chain. Its normal, but when it stops you better get in there and change the spring/doo.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #2865
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,790
+2 Overthinking some things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
+ 1 - absolutely!
Seriously, not to create an argument but some of you people seriously over think this shit. Takes some of the joy out of riding doesn't it? All I'm going to say.