ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #2926
sandalscout
blah blah blah
 
sandalscout's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Reporting back. I used Moose Racing's foot peg spring part no 1620-0464 and it works perfectly with no cutting, drilling, pounding, bending or frustration! It's listed at the bottom of this pdf parts sheet: http://assets-static.lemansnet.com/s...roFootpegs.pdf

'06 KLR650
Thanks for that! As cheap as the pegs are, I may order a new pair, for piece of mind if nothing else.

Did you still cut the spacer part off of the pegs? IF not, do you think you could and still use the springs? I like the lower position with spacer cut off.
__________________
My KLR650 - Not quite so ugly now
Matt's Trippin' in Peru
sandalscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #2927
studad
Studly Adventurer
 
studad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Willow Springs, MO
Oddometer: 744
Just got home with an 09! This is my second 09 klr and im stoked to have one in my garage again.

Pics to follow.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #2928
Stromius
Adventurer
 
Stromius's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Seattle, WA area
Oddometer: 58
I am in...new to me 95

Deal sealed. Waiting for owner, purchaser and cash to converge Friday!
__________________
Stefan

Past: 1969 Yamaha CT1, CL125, KLR 650 Barbie
Present:
Stromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #2929
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend
 
RevBill's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mayodan, NC
Oddometer: 2,104
Welcome to the collective new (and returning) members .. lol ..
__________________
"On the road less traveled there ain't no TP, bring your own and that will make all the difference.."
RevBill's SmugMug Shenanigans
My '06 KLR
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #2930
IDRIDR
Take me to the River
 
IDRIDR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Boise, Idaho
Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Thanks for that! As cheap as the pegs are, I may order a new pair, for piece of mind if nothing else.

Did you still cut the spacer part off of the pegs? IF not, do you think you could and still use the springs? I like the lower position with spacer cut off.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "spacer part" of the peg, unless this is the larger diameter portion of the lower support that keeps the peg fitting nice and snug in the peg support, and also something like 1/4" higher than it would be if it were cut off. The spring wraps around that part with the loop of the spring a little larger diameter than this lower part of the peg. I didn't cut anything. I did have to buy a "C" retaining clip because the stock peg had been riding around without one, probably since I bought this thing
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #2931
sandalscout
blah blah blah
 
sandalscout's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "spacer part" of the peg, unless this is the larger diameter portion of the lower support that keeps the peg fitting nice and snug in the peg support, and also something like 1/4" higher than it would be if it were cut off. The spring wraps around that part with the loop of the spring a little larger diameter than this lower part of the peg. I didn't cut anything. I did have to buy a "C" retaining clip because the stock peg had been riding around without one, probably since I bought this thing
Yeah, that's what I'm referring to. Do you think that you could cut that part off and move it, and the spring, above the rest of the footpeg? Most people who aren't using springs do just that as it doesn't weaken the peg and allow more boot clearance. I rode mine around the block before cutting that off and it was taller than I liked.
__________________
My KLR650 - Not quite so ugly now
Matt's Trippin' in Peru
sandalscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #2932
GSMotorrad
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 64
Got a taste of apocalyptic power outages here in Dayton, Ohio. GRIDLOCKED traffic for MILES and miles. Zombies in their cages watching as I maneuver my Mad Max dual sport like a boss. A huge work truck was blocking my street, not enough room for even a tiny car to pass. My Black Twenty Twelve KLR easily squeezed by. LOVE this thing! (If it was even more blocked, one could easily go "off road" around the blockade)

When the streets are littered with immobile cages, downed trees and power lines, the venerable KLR is the perfect escape vehicle!
GSMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #2933
TREADMARKS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TREADMARKS's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Oddometer: 286
Old inmate checking in, as I just stumbled across this thread.

I picked this 07 up in January past for 1500 bucks to serve as a beater.

After just a few mods:



After quite a bit of modding:



I am sure I have spent more on mods than I paid for it to begin with, but I am having incredible fun on this bike.

It no longer rides or feels like the 1500 dollar junker that I bought, and I am a long way from finished.

Anyways, Great thread here!
TREADMARKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #2934
IDRIDR
Take me to the River
 
IDRIDR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Boise, Idaho
Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Yeah, that's what I'm referring to. Do you think that you could cut that part off and move it, and the spring, above the rest of the footpeg? Most people who aren't using springs do just that as it doesn't weaken the peg and allow more boot clearance. I rode mine around the block before cutting that off and it was taller than I liked.

Maybe? Probably need to put the right spring on the left side & v/v.



IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #2935
sandalscout
blah blah blah
 
sandalscout's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Maybe? Probably need to put the right spring on the left side & v/v.
Thanks, I think you are right and I could flip them. Sweet!
__________________
My KLR650 - Not quite so ugly now
Matt's Trippin' in Peru
sandalscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #2936
JeffinCT
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 2
Too fat for a KLR??

Howdy all. New member here. Taking my MSF course next week and if all goes well I am leaning heavily (pun intended) toward purchasing a 2012 KLR. My concern is my weight. At 6'-3" I weigh in at 330-lbs. I've sat on KLR's at the dealer and the fit is good. Concerned about the suspension. Looking at exploring back roads, dirt roads, logging roads, etc. Very little true off roading. Any thoughts? (beside joining Weight Watchers - LOL Hey, I'm big boned!)

Back in '86 I owned a Honda XR600 and at 300-lbs. back then I had no problems except cramped legs. Cant wait to be riding again!
JeffinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #2937
NHMatt
Gnarly Adventurer
 
NHMatt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Newport News VA
Oddometer: 271
I'm 6' tall and 320lbs and it carries me around fine and still has room to hit good bumps. You'll be fine, buy one and enjoy it. Oh yeah, buy a new seat with it. One fat guy to another.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
__________________
Check out my KLR650 engine rebuild @ http://myklr.wordpress.com/
NHMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #2938
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels
 
Wansfel's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Bitterroot Valley
Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinCT View Post
Howdy all. New member here. Taking my MSF course next week and if all goes well I am leaning heavily (pun intended) toward purchasing a 2012 KLR. My concern is my weight. At 6'-3" I weigh in at 330-lbs. I've sat on KLR's at the dealer and the fit is good. Concerned about the suspension. Looking at exploring back roads, dirt roads, logging roads, etc. Very little true off roading. Any thoughts? (beside joining Weight Watchers - LOL Hey, I'm big boned!)

Back in '86 I owned a Honda XR600 and at 300-lbs. back then I had no problems except cramped legs. Cant wait to be riding again!

I'm only 250 lbs, but loaded for camping adds another 80-100 lbs. I've upgraded front and rear suspension, but the original stock handled the task. (I do tend to push the limits.) If/when you feel the need you can easily upgrade the springs alone (cheap) or go whole hog with upgrades (not so cheap). You won't find more bang for the buck.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #2939
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinCT View Post
Howdy all. New member here. Taking my MSF course next week and if all goes well I am leaning heavily (pun intended) toward purchasing a 2012 KLR. My concern is my weight. At 6'-3" I weigh in at 330-lbs. I've sat on KLR's at the dealer and the fit is good. Concerned about the suspension. Looking at exploring back roads, dirt roads, logging roads, etc. Very little true off roading. Any thoughts? (beside joining Weight Watchers - LOL Hey, I'm big boned!)

Back in '86 I owned a Honda XR600 and at 300-lbs. back then I had no problems except cramped legs. Cant wait to be riding again!
The stock springs will be too light for a decent ride. The good news is that the likes of Rick at Cogent can set you up with a shock with a superior damper and a spring rated for your weight.
Tsotsie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #2940
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider
 
Danger4u2's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OKC
Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
I'm only 250 lbs, but loaded for camping adds another 80-100 lbs. I've upgraded front and rear suspension, but the original stock handled the task. (I do tend to push the limits.) If/when you feel the need you can easily upgrade the springs alone (cheap) or go whole hog with upgrades (not so cheap). You won't find more bang for the buck.
I agree.
I weigh in at 245, wearing off road gear 270, traveling with tent, tools and all the junk I carry pushes it to 330. I've done some tough single track, nothing hard core. My KLR handled everything quite well. A few years ago I did upgrade the suspension but I use the KLR for street and dirt roads. I think you will do fine sticking to fire roads and easy trails. I would compare you riding a KLR650 to me riding my KLX250 Yea, the suspension is way under sprung but I just hang on tight with my knees. Just ride it for some time and if you get to areas where you bottom out then consider an upgrade.
__________________
Go faster than everyone.
Only worry about what's in front of you.
Danger4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014