Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #2986
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLester View Post
The 606 and t63 aren't comparable tires?
IMHO = in my humble opinion.

I've seen nothing but low-mileage chunking in my first-hand experience with t-63 (rear tire).

Nothing but positive results and reputations from the 606.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #2987
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
Is this a KLR? This dude sure trusts those knobbies!

no way in hell would I do that with knobbies. They freak me the hell out.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #2988
JasonLester
Riding north

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
IMHO = in my humble opinion.

I've seen nothing but low-mileage chunking in my first-hand experience with t-63 (rear tire).

Nothing but positive results and reputations from the 606.
Really... No problems with them to Alaska. The 606 costs twice the price and from what I read gets about the same mileage I have on my t63 now. I'll keep an eye on them though. So far I am happy with the two we are running (dad runs the same on his KLR)
JasonLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #2989
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Glad to hear. I don't like judging a tire poorly when it looks like it'd be an effective option.
-DustyRags
Old 07-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #2990
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Is it your left crash bar by chance (as you sit on the bike, "left")

?

Mine too. We are not alone.
My lefty cracked at some point also.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #2991
coolerthanethan
Non-human

Oddometer: 22
petcock death

so........ Last week i picked up a 99 KLR from 2nd owner with 5,400 miles. Bike started right up and ran excellent, it's bone stock and looks like it lived a garaged life. I've since put one tank through it with no issues. Today i rode a good 75 miles got home and parked it, only to come back later to a puddle of gas under the bike. Started checking things out and the exhaust was FULL of gas, as was the air box, oil and obviously the cylinder. I'm taking a wild guess that the petcock is done for, probably from sitting on the "on" position in the garage for 13 years. I saw somewhere here that someone had found a aftermarket or different petcock that was not vacuum operated, a bolt on and worked better than the stocker. So do i just rebuild the stocker or take the oportunity to swap in something better?

tks!
coolerthanethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #2992
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

You'll hear both sides of the debate- stock vacuum petcock vs aftermarket non-vacuum petcock

Here's a +1 vote for the stock rebuild.
-DustyRags
Old 07-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #2993
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolerthanethan View Post
So do i just rebuild the stocker or take the oportunity to swap in something better?

tks!
Your call!

I'd point out: If your bike has a defective OEM (vacuum-activated) petcock, from the description of the situation (fuel spilled all around), you have a defective lloat valve (doesn't seal properly) in your carburetor, also.

An operational, functioning float valve would not permit the spill you describe, even if the petcock failed.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #2994
El Brad
Leave it long on top

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
so........ Last week i picked up a 99 KLR from 2nd owner with 5,400 miles. Bike started right up and ran excellent, it's bone stock and looks like it lived a garaged life. I've since put one tank through it with no issues. Today i rode a good 75 miles got home and parked it, only to come back later to a puddle of gas under the bike. Started checking things out and the exhaust was FULL of gas, as was the air box, oil and obviously the cylinder. I'm taking a wild guess that the petcock is done for, probably from sitting on the "on" position in the garage for 13 years. I saw somewhere here that someone had found a aftermarket or different petcock that was not vacuum operated, a bolt on and worked better than the stocker. So do i just rebuild the stocker or take the oportunity to swap in something better?

tks!
Read thru pages 8 & 9 of this thread, they talk about the petcock change, I used the Yamaha one on my 03
works great, eliminates one more thing that can fail.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690916

The reserve tube is shorter, less range on reserve, not a problem for me. Direct repalcement, no mods to tank.
El Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #2995
Hetzel88
cycles is a mean toy

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
You'll hear both sides of the debate- stock vacuum petcock vs aftermarket non-vacuum petcock

Here's a +1 vote for the stock rebuild.
I like the vacuum petcock. I'd rebuild it.
Hetzel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #2996
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,632
Or you can do the "Hurricane" mod and convert the stock vacuum operated petcock into a standard gravity fed one too.

As an old dirt biker, that's what I did before I switched gas tanks and then I used the Yamaha unit, which works great.

+1 on cleaning your carb too.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #2997
JasonLester
Riding north

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Glad to hear. I don't like judging a tire poorly when it looks like it'd be an effective option.
Well maybe they have improved some on them who knows. I have noticed its not easy to get them at times.
JasonLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #2998
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Quote:

tks!
Certainly your petcock diaphragm has issues, however, even with a constant on fuel supply like you have/had the float bowl valve should have prevented/stopped the fuel flow. Rebuild/replace your petcock for sure but also change the float bowl valve. Once done I always verify float bowl fuel level. On the KLR its +/- 1mm from float bowl cover meets carb body. Use a clear hose connected to the bowl drain and run up along side the carb body. Apply vacuum to the petcock and verify where fuel stops within the clear tube. Todays "green" fuels wreak havoc on these older carbs with rubber parts (Petcock diaphragms, float valves etc)
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #2999
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:

tks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Your call!

I'd point out: If your bike has a defective OEM (vacuum-activated) petcock, from the description of the situation (fuel spilled all around), you have a defective lloat valve (doesn't seal properly) in your carburetor, also.

An operational, functioning float valve would not permit the spill you describe, even if the petcock failed.
Correct you have two fails...the petcock and the float valve is leaking or not adjusted properly. Plan on rebuilding the carb as well as replacing the petcock. Easy job.....plenty of how to's online.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #3000
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
If you need a new petcock i would go wilth the Eagle Mike piece. I changed mine to prevent what happened to you, I also did away with any and all safety switches that big K put on the bike to protect me. I really dont need one of them to go south in the middle of BFE, but thats just me. I have and 08 with the Mototech crash bars, the petcock doesnt clear the upper bar in the ON postion without a little mod to the bar.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote