Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #3676
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2

Oddometer: 609
We had a rider drop his bike in a water crossing and he had a K&N filter. I learned you can't squeeze the water out of a K&N filter. We did the best we could to "sling" the water out but the bike didn't run well for a few hours. I used to use no toil but found out the hard way, it's not compatible with some filters. If was either Twin Air or Uni that it just flat out deteriorate the filter. Another reason NOT to cut out the fire screen from your air box. It caught all the filter pieces.

Danger4u2 screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 12:33 PM
Danger4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #3677
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,161
Any of you gents running any Rigid LED's yet?

Got myself an early b-day gift and put a pair of Duallys on my ATV. Pretty bright if you ask me. If only they had a version that has a low beam. These things are brighter than the high beams on our Toyota highlander.

Could run 4 of these things in place of the stock headlight, 2 pointed to low, 2 for high, all on with high. Infact, I might just do that..

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #3678
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
I used to use no toil but found out the hard way, it's not compatible with some filters. If was either Twin Air or Uni that it just flat out deteriorate the filter.
You are referring to using No Toil filter oil on different brands filters, right? Not the other way around (ie, the Twin Air or Uni filter broke down when used with No Toil oil)?
Old 08-23-2012, 07:05 AM   #3679
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,202
Quote:
Another reason NOT to cut out the fire screen from you air box. It caught all the filter pieces.
... as I just found out on my "new" '88. . Who knows how many miles were put on in this state. Oh well! I've got a UNI in there now...

IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #3680
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2

I was using the no toil cleaner and oil.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #3681
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
I was using the no toil cleaner and oil.
Thanks for the clarification, I'll make sure I stay away from it.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #3682
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2

Bolt and nut holding the air filter

Another thing I wanted to mention to new KLR owners when dealing with the air filter. Be careful when you stab the bolt that holds the air filter and cage. The little nut you screw the bolt into is set in a nut shaped hole and then they melt the corners of the plastic to hold the nut. If you push to hard with the bolt it will pop the nut past the plastic tabs. I did that the second time I cleaned my filter. It was always a hassle to get the bolt in the nut with out knocking it out and starting over. When I found the disintegrated filter I took apart the sub frame and pulled the air box to get it thoroughly cleaned. At that time I used the cage only with the bolt to set the nut in silicone. I haven't had a problem with the nut since. I tore down the carb and didn't find any chucks because the screen caught all the filter material.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #3683
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,161
Any issues with just running a UNI 2 stage directly on the carb?

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #3684
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
You are referring to using No Toil filter oil on different brands filters, right? Not the other way around (ie, the Twin Air or Uni filter broke down when used with No Toil oil)?
The filter was either Uni or TwinAir and the No Toil oil was NOT compatible and caused the disintegration. It will work with one but not the other. Don't remember which filter brand it was. I went back to Bel-Ray filter oil and good old Dawn dish soap to clean them. I have two filters for each bike so it makes it a quick swap when cleaning.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #3685
mcpenner
mcpenner

Oddometer: 253
should I join the obsession?

I've been riding cruisers and choppers but when I get on the net all I do now is read KLR and other dual sport sites like this one and look at 650 dual sports on Kijiji.ca When I see a group of bikes I'm always draw to the adventure dual sport in the parking lot. So having never ridden off road much I'm thinking the KLR650 would be best. It fits (DR seems a little short in the legs) and I think it will be a long time before I can put a real off road worthy mount to good use. For now I just expect to get out on the gravel and dirt roads around home and out to the mountians (300kms from home) on overnighters.

I've got a nice Honda Goldwing GL1100 Interstate for sale ($2500-$3000) seems about right for the market in Alberta, but I've had no interest. A local dealer I like has this for sale:

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ395066306

He offered me a trade for my Goldwing plus $1000. I think he would take a little less as a counter offer but I'm not sure. I don't mind giving this dealer a little of my money as he has always helped me with little things on my chopper builds and I've never bought much more then a few parts from him.

So what should I ask and what should I look at closer on this KLR? It runs nice and I've ridden it around a little. If I remember right it seems a little more spirited then the 2009 I test drove last year(must be the modifications?) It seems to have a slight flat spot right around 3000rpms??? The asking price in the add is close to others in this area. I think my Goldwing plus $600 would be market value but as I said, I'd pay a little more to thank this dealer for all the free help he's given me over the years. How much are the farkles on this KLR worth and are the worth it?

This is getting long, Looking forward to your thoughts.
mcpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #3686
chuggins143
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Sounds high to me. A straight across trade might be more appropriate and closer to fair. ...then again, I don't live there and haven't seen either bike in person. If that's what they're going for and your comfortable with it then I say go for it. Just be warned! Farkling a KLR is addictive!

Chad
09 KLR 650, blue... Done the Doo!, Thermo-bobed!, LED driving lights, aux fuse box, HID high beam, gel battery, custom racks, tool tube, de-Californicated it, moved main fuses to side cover, relocated plate, PVC mod, Hurricane mod, bypassed the side stand switch...

RIP - 95 Honda VFR750 (the most vulgar shade of yellow I could find in the book!)
chuggins143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #3687
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 737
Back on the Road

Took the old girl on her first long ride since the wreck and rebuild, last weekend . She is as good as new. Went with a set of givi painners and trunk and I really like them. They are light and the quality is the best I have have seen on the mounts and the bags. They really keep you from over packing. I camped 3 nites with a 2man tent. cooking gear ,water ,food, clothes, tools, 2 tubes, tire tools,2 cameras.cell phone, 2 flashlights, rain gear, heated jacket, 2 pairs of gloves, and some other small personal items. I never needed anything I didn't have (other than a good KLR biker babe,if there is such a thing) the whole trip. I was gone 4 days and covered 1400 miles.Here is a picture of her loaded for the trip.
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:41 AM   #3688
kckeeny
Poor Bastard

Oddometer: 3,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedog View Post
Took these on Blue ridge Parkway
Nice photography.
Nice Scoot too!
Old 08-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #3689
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpenner View Post
I've been riding cruisers and choppers but when I get on the net all I do now is read KLR and other dual sport sites like this one and look at 650 dual sports on Kijiji.ca When I see a group of bikes I'm always draw to the adventure dual sport in the parking lot. So having never ridden off road much I'm thinking the KLR650 would be best. It fits (DR seems a little short in the legs) and I think it will be a long time before I can put a real off road worthy mount to good use. For now I just expect to get out on the gravel and dirt roads around home and out to the mountians (300kms from home) on overnighters.

I've got a nice Honda Goldwing GL1100 Interstate for sale ($2500-$3000) seems about right for the market in Alberta, but I've had no interest. A local dealer I like has this for sale:

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ395066306

He offered me a trade for my Goldwing plus $1000. I think he would take a little less as a counter offer but I'm not sure. I don't mind giving this dealer a little of my money as he has always helped me with little things on my chopper builds and I've never bought much more then a few parts from him.

So what should I ask and what should I look at closer on this KLR? It runs nice and I've ridden it around a little. If I remember right it seems a little more spirited then the 2009 I test drove last year(must be the modifications?) It seems to have a slight flat spot right around 3000rpms??? The asking price in the add is close to others in this area. I think my Goldwing plus $600 would be market value but as I said, I'd pay a little more to thank this dealer for all the free help he's given me over the years. How much are the farkles on this KLR worth and are the worth it?

This is getting long, Looking forward to your thoughts.
Those modification are very minimal and shouldn't really add to the value of the bike. Not knowing your specific market, the deal you propose sounds fair to both parties, which is how it should be. Nothing was said about the doohickey. Either way, that is a good bargaining point you can use in your favor. Keep us posted.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #3690
discoganya
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
I test rode an older KLR last week. The handlebars were slightly bent. I also noticed that when I apply the front brake, the bike tracks / tilts to one side. It's almost pulling to one side when braking. Does anyone know how this can be fixed?

Also, any suggestions to improve the rear brake? They seemed very weak.