Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #3796
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
A local buddy with an F800GS had a 10,000 mile K60 on his bike yesterday, said he loved it. I have a feeling it will be my next tire. It's twice as much as the Shinko 705, but I bet I get twice as much wear, and it is possibly a little better off road. Heck, even if they act the same, cost exactly twice as much and I only get exactly twice the mileage, it'll be nice not changing the tire every 4000 miles.
You might end up being disappointed. The tire on the F800GS is a different size than the KLR, with a solid strip of rubber all around the center. The 130/80-17 K60 doesn't have that and it wears out awfully quick. In my case, two rear K60's were done after ~2000 miles.
sasho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #3797
2whlrider
Where to next?

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasho View Post
You might end up being disappointed. The tire on the F800GS is a different size than the KLR, with a solid strip of rubber all around the center. The 130/80-17 K60 doesn't have that and it wears out awfully quick. In my case, two rear K60's were done after ~2000 miles.
I have over 5000km on my K60's with only minimal wear.
I think they are great tires. Good grip on pavement wet or dry and really good on gravel.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:34 AM   #3798
hoyks
Tightass KLR rider

Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
I've ridden an older KLR by myself, how would it compare to the new ones, and do they work fine with a passenger and luggage?
The suspension is a bit better than the old model and the fairings help with wind. The stock springs are not up to the job though and would need to be upgraded with heavier springs. A re-valve wouldn't go astray either.
hoyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #3799
Argus16
Fake n00b

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
you might end up being disappointed. The tire on the f800gs is a different size than the klr, with a solid strip of rubber all around the center. The 130/80-17 k60 doesn't have that and it wears out awfully quick. In my case, two rear k60's were done after ~2000 miles.
+1
Argus16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #3800
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,024
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up, the F800GS was indeed running the solid strip K60. I did some reading, interesting that they were so differently.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #3801
jonyfi
21st century adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Part or parts bike needed!!!

I'm on the road travelling ( truck and bike) , started in San Francisco and am currently in massachusetts... I have replaced the fork seal twice on my left side front fork leg and it still leaks! I am taking off on just the moto in a few weeks to ride Maine and Canada, I needto fix ASAP!
I am willing to travel to get part (fork leg) or spend up to $600 for a complete old running klr...
Anyone got any leads!?
John
twaroundtheworld.com
jonyfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #3802
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyfi View Post
I'm on the road travelling ( truck and bike) , started in San Francisco and am currently in massachusetts... I have replaced the fork seal twice on my left side front fork leg and it still leaks! I am taking off on just the moto in a few weeks to ride Maine and Canada, I needto fix ASAP!
I am willing to travel to get part (fork leg) or spend up to $600 for a complete old running klr...
Anyone got any leads!?
John
twaroundtheworld.com
Maybe there is something wrong with your forks. I have a set of good forks for your KLR. Give me a call at eight four five 667 nine three zero zero.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #3803
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyks View Post
The suspension is a bit better than the old model and the fairings help with wind. The stock springs are not up to the job though and would need to be upgraded with heavier springs. A re-valve wouldn't go astray either.
As it turns out, I have just aquired an 82 CB900F ( in many, many, parts ), but it has come with a backrest and hondaline bags, so that will become my two-up mount. The plan is to also set it up to be capable of dirt roads, (tires, skid plate etc...)Not deep stuff, my skills aren't that great off-road.
So the KLR would more or less be a solo mount, leaving the Sherpa for my son for next year. So I would try it with the stock suspension first. I don't work it that hard off road, I just like the versatility
.And I really like the looks of the 2013.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #3804
caliKLR
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Rear Shock preload adjuster broken

recently discovered that the preload adjuster on the rear shock on my 06' KLR650 has quit working. Stuck on softest setting.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed?
caliKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #3805
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliKLR View Post
recently discovered that the preload adjuster on the rear shock on my 06' KLR650 has quit working. Stuck on softest setting.

I saw this video on youtube last week that describes a repair of the shock preload bolt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYDM2UpnO4M
Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #3806
nvklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
nvklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #3807
mcpenner
mcpenner

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpenner View Post
I've been riding cruisers and choppers but when I get on the net all I do now is read KLR and other dual sport sites like this one and look at 650 dual sports on Kijiji.ca When I see a group of bikes I'm always draw to the adventure dual sport in the parking lot. So having never ridden off road much I'm thinking the KLR650 would be best. It fits (DR seems a little short in the legs) and I think it will be a long time before I can put a real off road worthy mount to good use. For now I just expect to get out on the gravel and dirt roads around home and out to the mountians (300kms from home) on overnighters.

I've got a nice Honda Goldwing GL1100 Interstate for sale ($2500-$3000) seems about right for the market in Alberta, but I've had no interest. A local dealer I like has this for sale:

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ395066306

He offered me a trade for my Goldwing plus $1000. I think he would take a little less as a counter offer but I'm not sure. I don't mind giving this dealer a little of my money as he has always helped me with little things on my chopper builds and I've never bought much more then a few parts from him.

So what should I ask and what should I look at closer on this KLR? It runs nice and I've ridden it around a little. If I remember right it seems a little more spirited then the 2009 I test drove last year(must be the modifications?) It seems to have a slight flat spot right around 3000rpms??? The asking price in the add is close to others in this area. I think my Goldwing plus $600 would be market value but as I said, I'd pay a little more to thank this dealer for all the free help he's given me over the years. How much are the farkles on this KLR worth and are the worth it?

This is getting long, Looking forward to your thoughts.
I did it! After all this time lurking I am now the proud owner of a 2005 KLR650.

mcpenner screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 09:29 PM Reason: add pictures
mcpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:38 AM   #3808
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliKLR View Post

Take it apart and find out what's wrong with the adjuster (might be seized). If you need just the adjuster I have a spare one.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:25 AM   #3809
Rhombic
Typical KLR *****

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpenner View Post
I did it! After all this time lurking I am now the proud owner of a 2005 KLR650.

Congrats! I hope you enjoy your '05 as much as I do mine.

No longer talk at all about what a good man ought to be; be such.

Marcus Aurelius
Rhombic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #3810
Sandman7925
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I just bought this bike yesterday afternoon. This is my first bike ever. I took it real easy yesterday, I have allot to learn. So far I like it.

Sandman7925 is offline   Reply With Quote