User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #4156
Icepick62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Drive chain

I've seen that some are using a 520X106 drive chain, my manual calls for a 525x106 drive chain, which one? I can't find a size on the existing chain or sprockets.
Icepick62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #4157
coop74
Deal's Gap Junkie

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Really?

Having ridden Mexico 4X, TX to VA 4X through 15 states and back, WY, MT, Alberta up to Jasper and over to BC and back, NE States, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia to mention a few with many over 800 miles days on it. The KLR can be a fine machine for touring - in fact it is more ergonomically comfortable than my R1150R Beemer! Now if the wind is blowing - not so. Obviously not as fast as the sport touring machines. One can make any bike comfortable- even a KLR.
I have no problem with the comfort of my KLR. My problem is a legit 77 mph by GPS is not something a KLR will do all day. My Vstrom will do it with out breathing hard.

If I could just have one bike it likely would be the KLR but you can ride to the moon on the interstate and you will not convince me it is the right tool for the interstate...
coop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #4158
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,210
Quote:
More than 30 minutes on a stock seat is sadistic torture! The 'Russel', however, is truely an all day long and more seat!
I have a RD-L on my BMW for pure street rides. They are nice but can't imagine those wings would work very well in the dirt on KilLeR either. She is really tall after fork mods and EM Raising Links.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 03:50 PM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #4159
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop74 View Post

"My problem is a legit 77 mph by GPS is not something a KLR will do all day."

If I could just have one bike it likely would be the KLR but you can ride to the moon on the interstate and you will not convince me it is the right tool for the interstate...

"My problem is a legit 77 mph by GPS is not something a KLR will do all day."

Wow, really, and how do You come by that arbitrary 77mph that KLR's are supposedly 'not capable of doing all day' ?

Neither I, nor anyone I know, has tried to or would want to convince you that the KLR is the 'right tool' or the only too. There are many, many great touring and dual-purpose bikes and brands on the market and still more that with some modification, can be made comfortable for the interstates too.

In the last 7 years I have put 50k miles on my Beemer and 45 K on my '08 KLR. That is my current reference. They are very different rides and to try to 'compare them' would be foolish. At this point I am quite happy with my stable of bikes. That is my choice, my butt, my $ and my fun. I enjoy both bikes.

It is somewhat ironical that some of my riding buddies ( Tiger, K1200GT, Goldwing, R1200RT) are currently looking for KLR's to add to their collections. Why? Because of the KLR's performance through WY, MT, Alberta, BC, New England States, NB, NS and parts of TX ( and lots of interstates) the last year that we have ridden together. And, because I can not only ride with them, but go off-road too where they want to join me.

Tsotsie screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 04:39 PM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #4160
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
I have a RD-L on my BMW for pure street rides. They are nice but can't imagine those wings would work very well in the dirt on KilLeR either. She is really tall after fork mods and EM Raising Links.
I have not found the wings to be an issue -yet. The RD-L is higher than stock, so at 5'8" and with a Moab shock, it is high for me.

I rode the RBR this year, following Mr2Much ( on a 650 Strom), and he was complaining about a KLR. At one stop he asked me how I was consistantly able to stay on his tail - on the black top sections we did, at times also riding a true 80+mph. I was not about to reveal a lady's secrets!.

There was another 'KLR' on my tail most of the morning. A very nice conversion, very well engineered - KLR/Verses! With 60hp and 6 gears!

It was a great Rally this year and Mr 2 did a great job leading us -again! Heard great reports of your leading too!

Tsotsie screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 04:41 PM
Old 11-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #4161
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,210
Oh, yeah. I am sure you heard reports. Just not good ones. lol Again. In my defense. Nobody in their right mind would ever ask me to lead a mixed group. Ever. I was on my best behavior and lost half of them. 3 times.

And the KLRsys was sweet. Other than maybe that trick HP2 that biffed, it was the best build there.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #4162
Geepn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Well I purchased the KLR because I dont want to ride the slab so speed isn't important to me. I go out of my way to stay on 2 lane black top or gravel. I commute to work on the back roads and avoid the highway at all costs.
I told my wife when I retire we will never be able to go anywhere quickly because we will be taking surface streets
Old 11-04-2012, 05:25 AM   #4163
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
"In the last 7 years I have put 50k miles on my Beemer and 45 K on my '08 KLR".

How'd you do that? It's only 2012.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #4164
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 721
Any pics of the klr versys conversion?
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #4165
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
"In the last 7 years I have put 50k miles on my Beemer and 45 K on my '08 KLR".

How'd you do that? It's only 2012.
Simple .

Ave 11.5K per year for the KLR in the last 4 years. Ave of 7.1K per year for the Beemer over 7 years. The Beemer average was as high as 16K a year before the KLR was purchased. A cumulative 13.6K miles for both since 2005 when the Beeemer was purchased. I guess it is not too much to expect some to think through concise sentances.

The intent was to illustrate that high milages, extended long distance road work ( including interstates), is not only possible, but enjoyable (for some) on a KLR, the subject of this thread.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #4166
mxboy96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Do I have a doohickey issue?

hey guys. Need a little of your expertise here,lol. My '12 KLR650 is making a healthy 'springy' or kinda 'scratchy' noise from the left side case cover once it's warmed up under acceleration. I've had the dealership look at it due to warranty...'we couldn't find anything'. Go figure right? I'm curious if when your guys doohickey and spring were bad or going bad did you ever 'hear' any evidence it was going bad? That's the only thing I can think of really without tearing it down myself, but I don't know if I want to due to it's under warranty still. I've heard the doohickey is stronger on the 2nd gens but the spring is still weak? Any info much abliged! Thanks!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #4167
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
Quote:
Simple .

Ave 11.5K per year for the KLR in the last 4 years. Ave of 7.1K per year for the Beemer over 7 years. The Beemer average was as high as 16K a year before the KLR was purchased. A cumulative 13.6K miles for both since 2005 when the Beeemer was purchased. I guess it is not too much to expect some to think through concise sentances.

The intent was to illustrate that high milages, extended long distance road work ( including interstates), is not only possible, but enjoyable (for some) on a KLR, the subject of this thread.
It was a joke, chill out ya grump
Old 11-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #4168
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
Any pics of the klr versys conversion?
Sorry, no. I had intended to visit with the rider ( I also forgot his name) at the end of the ride, but he did not return to the end of the ride site. He was very reserved. We spoke some at the lunch stop. I was impressed at his speed during sections of the ride.

Looking at the bike at the lunch stop, noticed an 'odd' looking, compact, blacked out motor in a faded red pre-08 bodywork. A beautifully made 2 into 1 header system that came out the left side and through the frame over the starter motor and back over and out to the right side.

He was also using its FI. system too. His greatest challenge was getting the sprockets properly lined up, he said. It was completed in March or April of this year. He already had completed a TX/CO ride and it had performed flawlessly - cruising in 6th with 60hp! The only other thing that did not look stock was a 320 mm front rotor.

I would have enjoyed speaking more with him.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #4169
mcpenner
mcpenner

Oddometer: 245
Is this the one?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797568

Quote:
Sorry, no. I had intended to visit with the rider ( I also forgot his name) at the end of the ride, but he did not return to the end of the ride site. He was very reserved. We spoke some at the lunch stop. I was impressed at his speed during sections of the ride.

Looking at the bike at the lunch stop, noticed an 'odd' looking, compact, blacked out motor in a faded red pre-08 bodywork. A beautifully made 2 into 1 header system that came out the left side and through the frame over the starter motor and back over and out to the right side.

He was also using its FI. system too. His greatest challenge was getting the sprockets properly lined up, he said. It was completed in March or April of this year. He already had completed a TX/CO ride and it had performed flawlessly - cruising in 6th with 60hp! The only other thing that did not look stock was a 320 mm front rotor.

I would have enjoyed speaking more with him.
mcpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #4170
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxboy96 View Post
hey guys. Need a little of your expertise here,lol. My '12 KLR650 is making a healthy 'springy' or kinda 'scratchy' noise from the left side case cover once it's warmed up under acceleration. I've had the dealership look at it due to warranty...'we couldn't find anything'. Go figure right? I'm curious if when your guys doohickey and spring were bad or going bad did you ever 'hear' any evidence it was going bad? That's the only thing I can think of really without tearing it down myself, but I don't know if I want to due to it's under warranty still. I've heard the doohickey is stronger on the 2nd gens but the spring is still weak? Any info much abliged! Thanks!
Several questions;

How many miles?
1. noise all the time or at, say 3 k rpm? Some, mine included, have a harmonic resonance at that speed. Source unknown.
2. has the 'doo' spring been changed for a shorter one? If not, get it done! Search - there is a lot of material on the 08+ spring being short.
3. Is your chain properly tensioned? Not too loose? The plastic chain guard could also be loose.
4. have all of the fasteners been checked for tighness? Fan mountings, radiator mountings, plastics, bashplate etc? If not, some blue loctite/threadlocker is needed.
5. If it is internal to the motor, then something is not right. As it is on record at the dealership, you have a leg to stand on if it goes south.
6. Heard of some header flange bolts being lose too.