Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #4186
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,016
I will eventually be doing away with the Halogen bulbs and the stock harness, but for now this will work fine.

What a fabulous bike to modify and personalize....

Currently I have deleted emissions equipment, added a pair of Rigid Industries Dually LED lamps for high beam, and installed the Sylvania Silverstar headlamp, then wired up a relay to it. And I'm just barely scratching the surface of what I'm going to do. Will probably invest in some more relays to wire up the lights so the low beam stays on with the high beam, which will also remove all current from any of the bikes electrical system. Couldn't believe how puny the stock headlamp wiring is..

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #4187
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
Update, swapped headlight with a Sylvania Silverstar. MUCH better improvement over the stock bulb. Can comfortably drive with low beam on now!
Threw out all my Sylvania bulbs! Read their packaging claims and small print carefully. If I recall from a year or two back, a claim of 30% 'more' light against a used regular bulb at 85% of its light output ! Life, 1/3 of stock, all at a premium price! All bulbs loose light output as they age. Since changing bulbs back to stock I have not had to change burned out bulbs.

2 years ago I went HID on low beam and it draws only 35W. That was a real improvement.
Tsotsie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #4188
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,016
I read the packaging, this is only temporary! I figured by the time this bulb has long died, I will have switched to HID. Really it only takes a 20 minute trip to one of the local HID suppliers and about $15 to get the bulb (already have a 35w ballast).

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:24 AM   #4189
Drybonz
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Super stiff clutch action,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Any chance the clutch was upgraded to a "heavy duty" or offroad aftermarket one? From my experience (and I've read it on here before), the aftermarket clutch springs are WAY too stiff. I had to go back to the OEM ones with the aftermarket plates and discs. I had the same symptoms. Super stiff clutch and it actually bent the little arm on the case.

Good Idea, I'll try get in touch with the previous owner to find out. He did upgrade on the front end, Wilbers i think,
so maybe he fiddled with the clutch as well

Shot for the brainwave !
Drybonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #4190
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyfi View Post
Well I have been experiencing what seems to be quick moments of fuel starvation (1993, aprox 30,0000)...I figured I'd start with a carb rebuild, its an old Moto so it could certainly use one anyway. All is going good with that, it certainly can use it...

Then I wanted to review the de-californication I did to it because it could certainly be something with that?...
I confirmed positive fuel from the tank to carb

I remember reviewing someone's diagrams...
I blocked the red hose coming off tank
I left the blue hose dangling/draining...
Plug air box
...but whenever I remove the tank I find fuel in the red hose, any reason why I can't leave that draining?

I am wandering if I have some breathing issue??? I thought if you reversed the blue and red hoses (with standard emission crap on) the bike can run crappy or even stop running???... So it goes to show something could be wrong?

Anyway, wanted to throw all this out there to see what comes back... I prob. won't have it back together for a few days, so no immediate results coming...

I realize it could be a slight electrical issue but sense it seems evident only in steady road riding at about 4000 rpms and not super consistantly I am thinking fuel....
One line is the evaporative return line and the other is the vent line. I don't remember which is which. When I de-smogged my 2000, I just put both of them straight down toward the ground, but I never had any fuel leak out of either line. You may have a clogged tank vent, which is causing your trouble. I've read of it being semi common on the stock KLR tank. The cap/vent assembly is very easy to remove, take apart, and clean.

Personally, I would not start with a carb rebuild. I'd start with the easier and more common problems, like the tank vent and the petcock. When my petcock failed I thought for all of the world it was electrical because of the symptoms before it died, but it wasn't. I did the Hurricane mod and it worked perfectly after that.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:43 AM   #4191
guzzifreak750
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
99 klr 650

Just purchased a 1999 KLR 650 for my dad. Friend of mine told me i needed to check a "thing a ma jig" that goes bad from the factory before proceeding with putting any real miles on it. It has 15K right now looks brand new. Can anyone tell me what he is talking about. He said has something to do with the clutch side. Any help is always appreciated.

Jonny

Keep the Rubber side Down!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03 R1150 GSA
74 Guzzi V7 Sport
91 R100GS
82 NC 50 cause you got to have a pit bike
guzzifreak750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #4192
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzifreak750 View Post
Just purchased a 1999 KLR 650 for my dad. Friend of mine told me i needed to check a "thing a ma jig" that goes bad from the factory before proceeding with putting any real miles on it. It has 15K right now looks brand new. Can anyone tell me what he is talking about. He said has something to do with the clutch side. Any help is always appreciated.

Jonny
Doohickey is the term. www.eaglemike.com is the place for an upgrade.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #4193
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzifreak750 View Post

Jonny

dohickey balance chain tensioner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lot1NScmyGI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbTzQ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...oSOrvv_e8&NR=1
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #4194
wapiti1001
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Vaccum Hose Reinstall tricks?

Recently removed my fuel tank for a thermo-bob installation.... Once I was reassembling the bike i encountered difficulty getting the vaccum hose put back on the petcock. I do have SW-motech bars installed so this sort of gets in the way....

My question, anyone have tricks to getting this small tube back on? Did you get a new tube and lengthen it?
wapiti1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #4195
jonyfi
21st century adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Hey Kawidad, well I already started the carb, and found that the petcock wouldn't shut off soi will order up the rebuild for that... I will certainly pull out the cap/vent assembly.

Thanks for that handy bit of info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
One line is the evaporative return line and the other is the vent line. I don't remember which is which. When I de-smogged my 2000, I just put both of them straight down toward the ground, but I never had any fuel leak out of either line. You may have a clogged tank vent, which is causing your trouble. I've read of it being semi common on the stock KLR tank. The cap/vent assembly is very easy to remove, take apart, and clean.

Personally, I would not start with a carb rebuild. I'd start with the easier and more common problems, like the tank vent and the petcock. When my petcock failed I thought for all of the world it was electrical because of the symptoms before it died, but it wasn't. I did the Hurricane mod and it worked perfectly after that.
jonyfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #4196
R Brown
KLRider

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by wapiti1001 View Post
Recently removed my fuel tank for a thermo-bob installation.... Once I was reassembling the bike i encountered difficulty getting the vaccum hose put back on the petcock. I do have SW-motech bars installed so this sort of gets in the way....

My question, anyone have tricks to getting this small tube back on? Did you get a new tube and lengthen it?
I use curved jaw needle nose pliers. Be easy on the line. The wire hose clamp gives me a problem, not the line.
It's not too bad. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #4197
Panama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
2006 KLR 650got 32 mpg on hwy trip???

Hey Guys, I did just did interstate trip on my 2006 KLR to my parents house 180 miles each way on flat straight I-10 and I hot reserve at 155 miles on the way there and on the way back. I went 70-75 mph with panniers with less than 30-40 lbs of stuff. It seems like I should be able to do this drive on one tank. At each fill up I traveled about 155 miles and put 4.8 gallons in = 32 MPG.

What should I check or tweak? I have no real mods other than the doohickey, tall windshield, and side cases (mermite cans).

Thanks for any advice or tips
Panama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #4198
coop74
Deal's Gap Junkie

Oddometer: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
"My problem is a legit 77 mph by GPS is not something a KLR will do all day."

Wow, really, and how do You come by that arbitrary 77mph that KLR's are supposedly 'not capable of doing all day' ?

Neither I, nor anyone I know, has tried to or would want to convince you that the KLR is the 'right tool' or the only too. There are many, many great touring and dual-purpose bikes and brands on the market and still more that with some modification, can be made comfortable for the interstates too.

In the last 7 years I have put 50k miles on my Beemer and 45 K on my '08 KLR. That is my current reference. They are very different rides and to try to 'compare them' would be foolish. At this point I am quite happy with my stable of bikes. That is my choice, my butt, my $ and my fun. I enjoy both bikes.

It is somewhat ironical that some of my riding buddies ( Tiger, K1200GT, Goldwing, R1200RT) are currently looking for KLR's to add to their collections. Why? Because of the KLR's performance through WY, MT, Alberta, BC, New England States, NB, NS and parts of TX ( and lots of interstates) the last year that we have ridden together. And, because I can not only ride with them, but go off-road too where they want to join me.
I have a KLR650, a Vstrom 1k, and until about 2 months ago a BMW R1200GS Adventure. I have ridden to Alaska, West coast, Mexico, and this year to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. I love my KLR, but fully loaded with gear to camp for several days the KLR is not the right tool to ride 77 mph for a 700 + mile day. BTW mine is about as trick as you can make one. I have upgraded suspension, a motor built by a Pro motor builder, a larger then stock tank and nearly all the tricks you can put on one. I rode the Cont Divide trail Solo, and all over Colorado on it for a week.

The KLR650 is not a great highway bike, dont care who you are or how flat it is where you ride. Another BTW, hopefully in 5-6 years when the last Son gets out of college I plan to ride round the world and it likely will be on a KLR. A great bike but not a great highway bike. Mine has just shy of 50k miles on it too...

Now what makes you think it is capable of a reall 77mph on the highway for an all day ride???
coop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #4199
jonyfi
21st century adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Wow ya that's pretty low gas mileage...
Well some things that come to mind to ask:
1) what's the gearing of the bike? Associated, what rpm is the motor at when riding 75 mph?
2) what's the condition of/ mileage on the spark plug? Dirty/worn =poor spark
3) what's the condition of the air filter?... Struggling for air?
4) what kind of tires are you running?...knobbies/street?
5) does the motor seem like its running smooth/powerful or struggling....maybe electrical/coil issues?
6) anybody ever modify the carb at all?
7) are you steady, smooth, with acceleration and freeway riding?

I have an old 1993, aftermarket pipe, stock carb/filter/gearing... I get aprox. 60 mpg unloaded and aprox. 50 mpg fully loaded with gear, knobbie tires(D606s)....

A lot to look into and I am sure others will chime in with other suggestions...
Good luck! You'll figure it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama View Post
Hey Guys, I did just did interstate trip on my 2006 KLR to my parents house 180 miles each way on flat straight I-10 and I hot reserve at 155 miles on the way there and on the way back. I went 70-75 mph with panniers with less than 30-40 lbs of stuff. It seems like I should be able to do this drive on one tank. At each fill up I traveled about 155 miles and put 4.8 gallons in = 32 MPG.

What should I check or tweak? I have no real mods other than the doohickey, tall windshield, and side cases (mermite cans).

Thanks for any advice or tips
jonyfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #4200
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 7,992
Tall windshield and mermites equal a lot of wind resistance. But still, I get that kinda mileage but I have a 14 , ride like an idiot WFO , run knobbly tires, and I have a pipe and carb and jetting mods.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote