Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #4441
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,016
Overly tight valves can cause hot starting issues as well.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #4442
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,050
Got my learners permit today gents. Now all I need is some insurance.

I need something relatively inexpensive, as I'm on a really really tight budget. Any suggestions for something inexpensive?

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #4443
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
Got my learners permit today gents. Now all I need is some insurance.

I need something relatively inexpensive, as I'm on a really really tight budget. Any suggestions for something inexpensive?
What's a learners permit for? I've heard of it for cars but not bikes...

Congrats!!!
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #4444
LordMDP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Hey guys

my lower dash lights on my 08' are dim and my high beam indicator light doesn't work most the time

any ideas what could cause this?

wera ex #308
LordMDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #4445
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro1970 View Post
What's a learners permit for? I've heard of it for cars but not bikes...

Congrats!!!
Not unlike automobile learners permits. Hereabouts, a learner's permit allows a rider without a motorcycle endorsement to ride legally on public roadways (solo only), accompanied by an endorsed adult rider, prior to completing a skills test (which may be taken not sooner than 30 days (If under age 19, you must hold a Virginia motorcycle learner's permit for at least nine months) after the learners permit is granted).

A written test is required for a learners permit; a skills test for the motorcycle endorsement.

Alternative: Approved (e.g., Motorcycle Safety Foundation) riding course succesful completion; Department of Motor Vehicles written and skills tests are waived; endorsement issued if applied for within 30 days of course completion.

XDragRacer screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 10:39 PM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #4446
MC-Shifter
aka Shifter

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
I'm wondering why you're bleeding at the Banjo bolts? "Bled it at both banjo bolts." If you're bleeding it there down on the caliper you're not getting the air out of the upper piston on the caliper. Bleed your brakes using the bleeder valve on the caliper. The valve with the rubber cap on it. It's at the upper most part of the caliper and will allow all of the air out.
Thanks, just to follow up. I was bleeding it through the bleeder valve. Everything was fine. No bubbles coming out. Then we loosened the banjo bolt on the master cyl. Four full pumps of air. Then a little fluid started to come out. Tightened it back up. Restarted the process of bleeding through the bleeder valve on the caliper. Once that was solid flow of fluid, we tightened it. No leaks anywhere. Still not enough pressure to stop the bike.

Been working late this week. Hope to take another run at it over the weekend. I will hopefully have some progress to post.

Thanks again for all the support

MC-Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #4447
MC-Shifter
aka Shifter

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
Where are you located? Can post up in the Regional section, perhaps someone can swing by, talk about brakes, and drink your beer. Or just drink your beer
Good idea. I have enlisted some help already. If we don't make any good progress I may go this route.

Thanks again!

MC-Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #4448
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC-Shifter View Post
Thanks, just to follow up. I was bleeding it through the bleeder valve. Everything was fine. No bubbles coming out. Then we loosened the banjo bolt on the master cyl. Four full pumps of air. Then a little fluid started to come out. Tightened it back up. Restarted the process of bleeding through the bleeder valve on the caliper. Once that was solid flow of fluid, we tightened it. No leaks anywhere. Still not enough pressure to stop the bike.

Been working late this week. Hope to take another run at it over the weekend. I will hopefully have some progress to post.

I'll say it again...power bleed from the caliper up. Harbor freight carries a $4 high pressure oil can. Fill with brake fluid and attach to caliper bleeder then pump fluid. I've since upgraded with a one way valve in the line between the HP pump and caliper nipple. AKA Speed bleeder. This setup has NEVER failed me even helped others who were experienced and couldn't get full pressure on their systems. Common with radial design on modern bikes.

HP oil pump link

Aprilia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #4449
schaffer40
I look lived in.....

Oddometer: 375
Quote:

You can't loosen the banjos during the bleeding process. You have to tighten the banjos correctly and LEAVE them alone. I was really struggling with bleeding mine after installing a SS line. I could not build pressure and get fluid to the caliper. I am a cheap bastard and did not want to buy one of the cool ass vacuum tools so I started looking around the garage. I took a spray nozzle from a bottle of window cleaner and slid it into a piece of tubing that fit over the bleeder and opened it (the bleeder) up and started pumping. It pulled the fluid right down from the reservoir. You have to make sure that you don't pull air into the reservoir by pulling all of the fluid out. After getting most of the air out this way, I went back to the pull the lever hold it and open bleeder and tighten until no more air bubbles came out. You are leaving the cover off the reservoir and adding fluid as it flows towards the caliper right, making sure that the fluid level does not get so low as to suck air into the system again?

Punk Rock Changed My Life- The Minutemen
schaffer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #4450
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Not unlike automobile learners permits. Hereabouts, a learner's permit allows a rider without a motorcycle endorsement to ride legally on public roadways (solo only), accompanied by an endorsed adult rider, prior to completing a skills test (which may be taken not sooner than 30 days (If under age 19, you must hold a Virginia motorcycle learner's permit for at least nine months) after the learners permit is granted).

A written test is required for a learners permit; a skills test for the motorcycle endorsement.

Alternative: Approved (e.g., Motorcycle Safety Foundation) riding course succesful completion; Department of Motor Vehicles written and skills tests are waived; endorsement issued if applied for within 30 days of course completion.
I don't know about other states but here in Cali we cannot ride at night, ride with a passenger, or ride on the highways without a licensed motorcyclist as a chaperone.

Essentially, you need one before you can operate a motorcycle, and before you can obtain your M1 license. Since I am not 21 yet, I have to wait 6 months in order to get my M1, which is unrestricted when it comes to 2 wheeled shenanigans

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #4451
Old Kiwi#99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
You have air in your brake system. I always power bleed from the caliper up to the mstr on the bars. Try wrapping a strap around your brake lever after pulling it as far back as it will go. leave it over nite and give it another try.
Leaving the system pressurised (ie strapping the lever back to the bar) is is not really a good idea. Any air in the system gets dissolved into the brake fluid. Once the pressure is released, after a while the air will seperate out (much like a scuba diver getting the bends) - in either case the result is somewhere between unpleasant and fatal.
Old Kiwi#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #4452
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,016
Quote:
Then we loosened the banjo bolt on the master cyl.
Yep, that's how air is getting into the system.

I got the cheaper, non-mightyvac brake bleeder pump at Harbor Freight for about $20 with a coupon a few months back. I changed my rear break line to a stainless, and using the pump made it a BREEZE. Wish I would have gotten one years ago when I was wrenching on cars constantly.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #4453
r.h.stinson
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Yep, that's how air is getting into the system.

I got the cheaper, non-mightyvac brake bleeder pump at Harbor Freight for about $20 with a coupon a few months back. I changed my rear break line to a stainless, and using the pump made it a BREEZE. Wish I would have gotten one years ago when I was wrenching on cars constantly.
For the numerous brake lines I have changed over the years , I have always used a power bleeder and it saves so much time and frustration,.. and for the price is worth more time riding than fixing.

2000 KLR650
2002 KLR650
1988 DT200
Pit bike for the kids to learn on
r.h.stinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #4454
mxboy96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
[QUOTE=MC-Shifter;20180919]Thanks, just to follow up. I was bleeding it through the bleeder valve. Everything was fine. No bubbles coming out. Then we loosened the banjo bolt on the master cyl. Four full pumps of air. Then a little fluid started to come out. Tightened it back up. Restarted the process of bleeding through the bleeder valve on the caliper. Once that was solid flow of fluid, we tightened it. No leaks anywhere. Still not enough pressure to stop the bike.

I don't know if it's been suggested yet, but one area 'spongy' brakes can come from is brake pads. Some, depending on composition and if properly broken in when new, can actually squeeze and compress a little before you feel any resistance in the lever. I'd also be curious about the stock rubber hose? I know rubber hose over time can get weak and cause a fade issue from expanding so much. So I would try different pads and possibly new brake hose, or go to a braided steel. That will hold it's shape/pressure much better for the long run. Good luck!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #4455
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
the dangers of the interwebs

I left my 01 up in the adirondacks this winter.....in hopes of doing a Labrador trip in the spring.

I thought i would be able to get through the winter in s Florida without a bike...but that was optimistic.

last night right before going to bed i took a glance at Craigslist.....

and it came to pass that at 2 am this arrived at my door...

and after a quick inspection and test ride i was back in the southern thumper club. as a bonus i got her for a steal.
:)

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote