User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #4726
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 794
Thinking of trading for another KLR

I keep getting KLR's and then trading for something else, and then coming back to the KLR. Right now, I'm thinking maybe I should have just stuck with a KLR.

Anyone interested in a trade for a 2009 KLX 331 that has about every aftermarket part made thrown on it?
nigelcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #4727
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn View Post
I keep getting KLR's and then trading for something else, and then coming back to the KLR. Right now, I'm thinking maybe I should have just stuck with a KLR.

Anyone interested in a trade for a 2009 KLX 331 that has about every aftermarket part made thrown on it?
Don't feel bad, I'm on my 3rd Klr.
This time I'm staying.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #4728
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
This time I'm staying.
Yep, me too.
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #4729
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 794
Yeah, I've said that before too. One of these trades it will be true.

Quote:
This time I'm staying.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
nigelcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #4730
firewatermetal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I wanted a KLR but i bought a vulcan. I still wanted a KLR. I sold the vulcan (it never needed anything but gas and oil). Now I bought a KLR, working on it all the time, still prefer the KLR.

steed:2004 KLR650
1998 Dodge 2500
firewatermetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #4731
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
I haven't seen any 12.9 break but again it depends on a lot of other variables. I often load my KLR down with entirely to much stuff then go pound it around all of our trashed back roads, dirt and gravel. So once mine broke I went for what seemed like the strongest repair I could make.
i think the 12.5s should be fine...unless you really like sweet potato pie..then go drill through.
they usually break when they come loose...so red lock-tight and torque them down and you should be fine.
i did the drill through on my 01 klr and i have NO interest in doing it ever again. if i need more that the 12.5 strength ill just weld the subframe on my 04

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #4732
Reagan
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
This time I'm staying.
I'm on my 3rd KLR too, I was thinking of selling it the other day. Although I would probably regret it. I like to take it out when there is rain, sand, slush, mud or snow on the roads. Otherwise I usually use one of my other bikes. There is something about a KLR, you want to keep one around.
Reagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #4733
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
I had a forward/upper subframe bolt break while I was riding offroad. Talk about a ruined ride. A screw extractor got it out no problem thank god. I replaced it with Eagle Mike's upgraded bolts (not the drill thru kit) and haven't had a problem since...and I flog my bike offroad like it's 100 pounds lighter than it really is (catch 6" of air every so often).
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #4734
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolump View Post
i think the 12.5s should be fine...unless you really like sweet potato pie..then go drill through.
they usually break when they come loose...so red lock-tight and torque them down and you should be fine.
i did the drill through on my 01 klr and i have NO interest in doing it ever again. if i need more that the 12.5 strength ill just weld the subframe on my 04
Plenty of red and torqued to HT specs. Thanks.

I've never had sweet potato pie.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #4735
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Then, I think astrolump would conclude, you're less likely to achieve "OVER GROSS" status in the weight department!

Don't start; sweet potato pie is seductive, delicious, and . . . fattening!

XDragRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:18 AM   #4736
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolump View Post
IMHO if you carry a heavy load of camping gear and ride a lot of rough roads and some off road loaded as well you "may" still have a problem. That's what I was doing the weekend mine broke loose.

But I agree loose bolts are probably the source of a lot of failures. That is part of the maintenance routine I am doing on my KLR this winter...lots-o-locktite
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #4737
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,252
45 yrs old here and losing weight. Wife left a year ago. I'm on the divorce diet. Works pretty well.
I'll stay away from the sweet potato pie.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #4738
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Plenty of red and torqued to HT specs. Thanks.

i forgot to mention...if you are using crash bars...then drill through is the way to go...the crashbars put a lot of stress on the upper subframe bolts....
yes sweet potato pie is dangerous...i have moved on to coconut ice cream.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #4739
Randal Gobs
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Be my own mechanic.

I just bought my first bike ever (KLR 650) last year when I turned 60. I haven't worked on a vehicle since I was 23. I need to ease into the maintenance, though, cause stuff like oil change, lube, adjustments etc. is just too expensive at the dealer. I want to get started. Where to begin.

e.g. My electrical system went totally hay wire the other day. Wouldn't start, no juice, so I push started it and got it going. It was at night in traffic so when I turned on turning signal, the High beam started blinking, when i hit the low beam switch the engine wanted to die and a few other wierd things started to happen. The dealer said that it was all caused by a faulty battery and $200 parts and labor for a new battery. Shame on me for not knowing more about how to work on this bike.

I will tell you this though, I love every minute I'm on my bike, it has changed my life.
Randal Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #4740
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,466
Quote:
45 yrs old here and losing weight. Wife left a year ago. I'm on the divorce diet. Works pretty well.
I'll stay away from the sweet potato pie.
Pass it my way. Thanks.
DirtyDog is online now   Reply With Quote