Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #5026
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Would you go back to stock jets as well?

A buddy gave me a box with all of his leftover jets from a number of different bikes to dig through. The only Keihin main jets he had are a 142 and a 158. I noticed that they both had a stylized "K" on them, maine has a box in a box. Didn't know this, but that is a Mikuni Jet, apparently the equivalent to a 180 Keihin. Crazy. Not even sure how it fits into the holder, but both the Mikuni and the Keihin fit the same holder.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #5027
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
M1030

How hard is it to get a surplus M1030 diesel? The internet is not cooperating. I just want to see how much they go for.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #5028
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Would you go back to stock jets as well?
If you are not changing the needle then yes...completely stock except for .22 cent mod. Only "kits" I recommend are the KLX and JD....not the Dynojet (DJ) kits. While the DJ needle is good their modifications (drilling slide to 1/8") and jets are all wrong. I've taken many DJ kits that were installed and simply replaced the DJ jets with OEM. The JD kit, as usual, is a great kit and the KLX is OEM and works great too.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #5029
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of the Tiger View Post
How hard is it to get a surplus M1030 diesel? The internet is not cooperating. I just want to see how much they go for.
Not that I actively look for them, but I've never seen one come up for sale anywhere, nor have I seen anybody how owned one online anywhere.

The gas ones come up occasionally, but not often.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #5030
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Quote:
Not that I actively look for them, but I've never seen one come up for sale anywhere, nor have I seen anybody how owned one online anywhere.

This is the only thing that I can find that was supposedly available to the public, but for $15K-$20K.
2006 D650A1

http://thekneeslider.com/2006-d650a1...el-motorcycle/
Old 02-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #5031
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
engines at military auctions....
Old 02-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #5032
The Stew
Why not Zoidberg?

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
The military is not allowed to sale converted KLR engines and all cores must go back to Hayes Diversified for remanufacturer or destruction. Effin retarded if you ask me but more to the point if you happen across a military KLR engine sale its gonna be from trainers that are all regular gas. Over on dotnet a few of the higher end KLR gurus went in and bought a pallet of them to experiment on or sale. Half where awesome low mile engines the other half where hard flogged lumps of metal.
2006 KLR650 Aztek Red / SW Motec Bars, Givi Top Case, Tank Bag, PMR Rear Luggage Guard, IMS Pro pegs, Mirror Relocation mod, Moose Folding Shift Lever, Gold Valve Cartridge Fork Emulators, T-Mod, Coleman Seat Cover, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Horse Saddlebags, Drill Through Subframe Upgrade, 12.9 Bolts, Doohickey, 16TFS, AGM Battery, AeroLED Tail Light
The Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #5033
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stew View Post
The military is not allowed to sale converted KLR engines and all cores must go back to Hayes Diversified for remanufacturer or destruction. Effin retarded if you ask me but more to the point if you happen across a military KLR engine sale its gonna be from trainers that are all regular gas. Over on dotnet a few of the higher end KLR gurus went in and bought a pallet of them to experiment on or sale. Half where awesome low mile engines the other half where hard flogged lumps of metal.
Well, shit on a stick. I guess I'll just find me a cheap old KLR and paint it olive drab.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #5034
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
I saw one on craigslist last month, but it was WAY overpriced.
It might even still be on there.
Just do a search for military KLR.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #5035
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:

Quote:
This is the only thing that I can find that was supposedly available to the public, but for $15K-$20K.
2006 D650A1

http://thekneeslider.com/2006-d650a1...el-motorcycle/
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post

.. one made it through/onto eBay last year .. it was sold in Florida to a guy in Texas and it was running last time I heard about it .. the guy that bought it did a write up on it on one of the KLR forums .. it's the only one I have ever heard of that got sold to the public ..

.. all of the engines (that I have seen go through the auction sites anyway) sold at Gov't surplus sales are gas engines, not the diesel ones .. the Marines/Military do also use gas models as well ..

Hayes Diversified has announced that they will be selling a "civilian" model either this year or next year, and yes, at a VERY hefty price .. of course, Hayes has been saying that for a few years too ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #5036
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Well, shit on a stick. I guess I'll just find me a cheap old KLR and paint it olive drab.
Or you could do this

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632548
MySPOT
RandoCommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #5037
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Quote:
I stand corrected. You recall the same auction I do. I guess they were all gas. Thought they might have diesels too. How about overseas market?
Old 02-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #5038
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
The engines I picked up were surprisingly in new like condition. I've since sold off all but one. That one is getting some highly secret engine modifications

Here's a couple pix of the one I kept and it wasn't the cleanest one of the bunch.

Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #5039
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,246
Anyone have any pics of stock needle/KLX needle/JD needle?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #5040
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
Anyone have any pics of stock needle/KLX needle/JD needle?
Here is a pic of the stock needle from the CVK40. Note is has no taper the length of the needle. The KLX needle has a long taper and 5 grooves and a circlip under the top keeper for adjustment. I have never seen the DJ needle but assume it is similar to the KLX.