Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #5071
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuser View Post
Mine's an 08. It uses bucketloads of oil.
I don't call that reliable at all.

It was leaking through the gear selector seal and the counter sprocket seal. Replaced them, leaks stopped. Still losing buckets of oil. Now also a leak through the oil filler cap. Fix that next.

Yeah I know about all the "fixes" but they cost plenty. I bought a cheaper bike for a reason, and only after I bought it and rode it and then researched it did I find out about the 08 problems.

I'm bummed and it makes me not want to ride it :(
Sick of pouring stacks of oil in after every 200-500km ride. Boo.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I just sell it or pay the bucks for a new cylinder etc, which I can't really afford.
.. not being a wise-guy .. have you got your sag set correctly??
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #5072
stuser
Putt putt putt

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. not being a wise-guy .. have you got your sag set correctly??
sag? as in suspension?

how does that relate????
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #5073
coop74
Deal's Gap Junkie

Oddometer: 2,171
Quote:
Mine's an 08. It uses bucketloads of oil.
I don't call that reliable at all.

It was leaking through the gear selector seal and the counter sprocket seal. Replaced them, leaks stopped. Still losing buckets of oil. Now also a leak through the oil filler cap. Fix that next.

Yeah I know about all the "fixes" but they cost plenty. I bought a cheaper bike for a reason, and only after I bought it and rode it and then researched it did I find out about the 08 problems.

I'm bummed and it makes me not want to ride it :(
Sick of pouring stacks of oil in after every 200-500km ride. Boo.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I just sell it or pay the bucks for a new cylinder etc, which I can't really afford.
Sell it, buy another bike of your choosing. clearly you are not happy and it is not for you.
coop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #5074
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
Quote:
sag? as in suspension?

how does that relate????
.. to much tension on that counter sprocket .. though that does not account for all of the leaks ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #5075
stuser
Putt putt putt

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. to much tension on that counter sprocket .. though that does not account for all of the leaks ..
Cool, thanks :)

Yep, checked that... well and truly not too tight.

I do understand that seals only last so long.... the bike has 20,000km on it. The replacement seals were cheap and they have stopped any leaking.

Problem is that the cylinder fix (and all things bike related it seems) isn't as cheap here as it is in the US....
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #5076
Argentian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Unfortunately when I decided to go back to stock I did it all at once. Had I taken each setting and systematically tested each one separately I might have noticed something.

I am very sceptical of the 'tribal' knowledge (based upon hype, hearesay and butt dyno's) that goes around and around, endlessly purpetrated as 'fact'. Unless the data is based upon decent logic, proper workmanship, instruments and can be replicated, it is assumption, opinion and herd mentality.

What I did notice was that my milage came back to respectable. 45-48 usually cruising at an indicated 75-80. Worst was 32 going (3-4th gears) up towards Glacier NP into a brutal 50-60mph head wind. Best was 58mpg at the same speeds going up central FL and AL with a 20mph tailwind!

Running a 685. My plugs are always a nice white to slight gray. The change back was made 35K miles ago. Very happy with stock.
Do you recommend the .22 cent mod or not even that?
Also do you run a stock exhaust as well or not?
Argentian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #5077
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentian View Post
If your bike starts/run good with no lean surge leave it stock. If you get a lean surge do the .22 cent mod. If you want better throttle response throughout then go with KLX needle kit but just don't over do the main jet as mileage suffers. Properly jetted the KLR should be getting 48-52mpg in mixed riding.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #5078
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentian View Post
I do recommend the 22 cent mod for the reasons Aprillia says, just to take the surge out.

Stock exhaust with a 1/4" hole drilled through the center of the exhaust mesh cone inside - why? Because I wanted to. I have a 6" pipe that is 1/8" larger than stock welded over the exit hole extended backwards to take the hot gas out further back. I believe that is has the correct back pressure for where I ride most of the time, 3-6k rpm. Making more noise or looking cool is not my thing. KLR's sound like a box of rocks with whatever pipe is on.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #5079
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
MC mod

Anyone check out EMs (and partner) new free hp mod? I didn't see a post here but it might have slipped by me.... If anyone is curious you can search it at .net or I can post the procedure. A free 7-10% hp? Who could complain???
Old 02-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #5080
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Anyone check out EMs (and partner) new free hp mod? I didn't see a post here but it might have slipped by me.... If anyone is curious you can search it at .net or I can post the procedure. A free 7-10% hp? Who could complain???
Post it up.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #5081
JBradley500
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I did it to my bike. It's just advancing the exhaust cam 1 tooth. I hadn't ridden my bike in 2 months so I can't say if it feels like a noticeable improvement or not. It still runs good though.
JBradley500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #5082
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

I wanna do it, I am just waiting for Mike to test it on a head with hot cams and OS valves before I do it. He thinks it will only amplify the effect but I want him to be sure all the clearances check out... No noticeable difference though, huh?
Old 02-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #5083
JBradley500
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I just can't compare because i don't remember. Also i was farting around with the carb and airbox.
JBradley500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #5084
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Got cha. Heck, I trust EMs #s anyway, that guy is on top of the KLR game and a seriously nice guy. I can't wait to see the results of the stroker!!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #5085
Argentian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Wiring

Starting to think about my '08 again now that the snow's slowly disappearing around here. Since I've got some pieces taken off while the bike's in storage I might as well have a good look at the wiring harness. I had the new one installed on the recall just last year so it should still be good. Has anyone got a good idea of the most likely wear though points that I should concentrate on protecting? (pics would be nice...) Is there something better than electrical tape that I can easily apply without having to disconnect all the wires?
Thanks Guys!
Argentian is offline   Reply With Quote