Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #5086
Joetool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentian View Post
Starting to think about my '08 again now that the snow's slowly disappearing around here. Since I've got some pieces taken off while the bike's in storage I might as well have a good look at the wiring harness. I had the new one installed on the recall just last year so it should still be good. Has anyone got a good idea of the most likely wear though points that I should concentrate on protecting? (pics would be nice...) Is there something better than electrical tape that I can easily apply without having to disconnect all the wires?
Thanks Guys!
I've seen a lot of posts on various KLR forums too, yet most only show 1 or 2 'detail' pictures.If there is a diagram or series of pictures or some other resource for figuring out what the main wear points on a 08+ (post recall repair) are, I would like to know too...
Joetool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:18 AM   #5087
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
Seemed appropriate to share with those of us on a KLR budget,

I stumbled onto a guy that is hand-crafting aluminum panniers in the State of Virginia, he has basic bare silver and a mil-spec black powder coat avail.

Starting at $400. per PAIR, plus $50 for shipping. Just thought I would share the source, seems like a good guy, I like to patronize the USA locals that make stuff. For the difference in price between his and "others", a guy could take a pretty nice trip and still have "function", but perhaps not the polish of "Tourtech".

Just an option I thought to share. I am going to run some of his on the next KLR I rig.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-pan...f9cd7f&vxp=mtr
Old 02-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #5088
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
I have a 2008 KLR that is making a rattling sound at 3k rpm. It sounds like a loose heat shield. I checked the heat shield and it is in good shape and the noise is still present when the shield is removed. I checked the header nuts and they felt nice and tight. I'm totally lost as to where this obnoxious sound is coming from. It has not affected performance at all it is just annoying. Any thoughts on where I should be looking?

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #5089
the kawasaki kid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrout View Post
I have a 2008 KLR that is making a rattling sound at 3k rpm. It sounds like a loose heat shield. I checked the heat shield and it is in good shape and the noise is still present when the shield is removed. I checked the header nuts and they felt nice and tight. I'm totally lost as to where this obnoxious sound is coming from. It has not affected performance at all it is just annoying. Any thoughts on where I should be looking?
FYI, my '12 KLR does the same thing. It vanishes by 4k rpm. I gave up trying to figure out what was causing it and just chalked it up to a KLR thang (former jeep owner...).
the kawasaki kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #5090
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrout View Post
Is there a radiator shield like on the Gen 1's?

Check to see if the mounting screws on the radiator or overflow tank are up against part of the mounting brackets. Thos will make a rattle and it's kinda hard to find.

Your best bet is to take a gloved fist and hammer around on various parts until you hear a rattle, you'll eventually find it that way.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #5091
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the kawasaki kid View Post
FYI, my '12 KLR does the same thing. It vanishes by 4k rpm. I gave up trying to figure out what was causing it and just chalked it up to a KLR thang (former jeep owner...).
Yep. Rattles at 3k and disappears at 3500 rpm. Good to know that this is not uncommon.

2008 KLR 650
Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #5092
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
Is there a radiator shield like on the Gen 1's?

Check to see if the mounting screws on the radiator or overflow tank are up against part of the mounting brackets. Thos will make a rattle and it's kinda hard to find.

Your best bet is to take a gloved fist and hammer around on various parts until you hear a rattle, you'll eventually find it that way.
Thanks Stu. I'll check out the radiator shield.

2008 KLR 650
Old 02-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #5093
Joetool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Also check the two screws that hold the fairing to the tank shroud ( the screws face up toward the handlebars). One of mine came loose and it sounded like the engine was rattling, but the sound was coming from the fairing.
Joetool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #5094
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
Thumb

ParaTraut,

Has your Doo Hickey and doo spring been "done" ?

My 2009 had some rpm's where it sounded a bit "metallic" at times, gone after the doo and torsion spring installed though.

I also have one of my highway pegs on my crash bars that has a sloppy spot. If I fold it in the sound goes away. They are $8 foot pegs........
Old 02-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #5095
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,319
I have been running the piss out my 2013 this week. NE Ohio to New Orleans and now on the way back. I am at 3200 miles total on the odo.

When in 4th gear, and only 4th, around 4000 elms and sometimes a little higher, there is a weird hesitation. Only occasionally and only in 4th. Feels like a slipping clutch or gear isn't engaged properly.

Anyone experienced this or heard about it before?

Thanks

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #5096
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
Anyone experienced this or heard about it before?
In general, such hesitations can be treated by administering the "22-cent mod" (q.v.).

Basically, shimming the carburetor needle with a # 4 washer fuel-enriches the mid-range air/fuel mixture, discouraging hesitation.

YMMV!
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #5097
BruceDeuce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
HI from N.J.. I recently purchased a 1986 KLR 600, in pretty good shape. I posted up in the Thumper thread about the noise Im hearing in the top end and was instructed to check the valve clearances. I am doing that tomorrow. I have another question, if ya dont mind. Theres a little hole in the bottom of the, I assume the water pump (right side front case) that is streamming water out of. It appears to be alot of water at idle. Is this normal?
Also can someone explain to me how to take out the Cam Chain Tensioner? Thanks Bruce
86 KLR600 / Yamoto 50cc Quad / 2006 Loncin 110 Quad / 1985 LT250EF Quadrunner / 1979 XS650 Special / 1972 Kawasaki G3SS 90 / 1973 Aermacchi X90 / 1986 Honda 450 Rebel restored / 2003 HD Deuce Screaming Eagle / 1978 Honda 550 Four (K) / BAYOU 220 / 1985 BAHA 90 / 1987 KDX 80

BruceDeuce screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 07:42 PM
BruceDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #5098
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
In general, such hesitations can be treated by administering the "22-cent mod" (q.v.).

Basically, shimming the carburetor needle with a # 4 washer fuel-enriches the mid-range air/fuel mixture, discouraging hesitation.

YMMV!

I will definitely do the 22 cent mod. But why would this only occur in 4th gear.?

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #5099
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
I will definitely do the 22 cent mod. But why would this only occur in 4th gear.?
That's just where you are noticing it, I'm guessing.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #5100
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceDeuce View Post
HI from N.J.. I recently purchased a 1986 KLR 600, in pretty good shape. I posted up in the Thumper thread about the noise Im hearing in the top end and was instructed to check the valve clearances. I am doing that tomorrow. I have another question, if ya dont mind. Theres a little hole in the bottom of the, I assume the water pump (right side front case) that is streamming water out of. It appears to be alot of water at idle. Is this normal?
Also can someone explain to me how to take out the Cam Chain Tensioner? Thanks Bruce

not normal-it sounds like it's time for seals.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote