Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #5131
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Brown View Post
I bought my lights from inmate, Sanjoh. The lights are great. I mounted them on the lower triple tree clamps with mounts that I bought from inmate, Hanksd. The mounts are top quality. They are powder coated and come with longer replacement bolts for the clamps.
The set up works great.
My LED's are the Rigid Duallys which use a one off bracket (or so I assume, haven't seen others like it). Maybe I'll have to customize some brackets..

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #5132
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,349
First Ride Report

OK, I have been riding a long time and have made quite a few trips.
Stats- Minerva, Ohio to New Orleans and return via Mobile and Biloxi on a 2013 KLR 650.
2330 miles. 50.76 gallons of fuel costing $182.52. Approx $3.60 per gallon (mostly high test). Averaged 45.9 miles per gallon.

Well, I thought I had been everywhere but the electric chair and had seen everything but the wind.
Yeah, I've been to Ashtabula, Pascagoula, Casablanca and the Isle of Sri Lanka. I've been to Bangkok, Benin, Bugtusell, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Ulan Bator.
Hell, I've even seen Afro- Nubian dwarf goats furiously, frantically and ferociously fornicating at YOUR county fair.

Yes, I've seen a lot of crazy shit in my 53 1/2 years on this planet. But nothing compares to Marci Gras Day in New Orleans. Absolutely nuts. If you haven't been, you gotta go.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #5133
mxboy96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjack View Post
considering buying a set of dunlop D606 tires for only 60 bucks. What are some opinions about these tires?
Are they brand new or still 80%+ tread left? If so go for it. I love mine. They will wear faster on pavement, but for serious dirt riding you can't get much better. If your strictly a pavement goer I wouldnt recommend them. But for that price you can't really go wrong
Old 02-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #5134
FlyingWWW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingWWW View Post
Random drop in post.. I use to own an 07 and enjoyed it. Are the new bikes free from the problems of the old like the doo thing and oil consumption? Getting close to selling my sport bike and going back to dual sports.
No one?
FlyingWWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #5135
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Sorry, I don't think anybody wanted to ignore you....
The real oil burner was the 08 but others used a bit of oil at sustained high RPMs. Recall on some 08 VINs for ring issues, later years have been fixed.
The doo was also redesigned, it is tougher now but sloppy on the shaft and the spring is worthless.... Go figure.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #5136
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
Gen I use oil at extended high rpms, Gen II use oil at extended high rpms.
All KLR's, all bikes have there own little issues and quirks you should work out. The internet makes every bike sound like crap when you dig in them and over-analyze everything.

KLR's are still great bikes.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #5137
schaffer40
I look lived in.....

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
So, who's got LED driving lamps, and who's mounted them to their forks?

I need to mount mine to my front forks to get better light spread when I'm turning on the trails. It's pretty dark off to the sides
This what I came up with, I used 2" angle aluminum and cut and drilled it to fit.

Punk Rock Changed My Life- The Minutemen
schaffer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #5138
SUNTZU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer40 View Post
This what I came up with, I used 2" angle aluminum and cut and drilled it to fit.

Clean and simple, I like it!
SUNTZU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #5139
Argentian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Wiring harness

So I'll try this again:
Anyone have any idea where the most common wear through points are on the Gen II wiring harnesses?
I've had it replaced on recall but I would like to make double sure that I never have an issue.
Thanks guys!
Argentian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:00 AM   #5140
WildmanSam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentian View Post
So I'll try this again:
Anyone have any idea where the most common wear through points are on the Gen II wiring harnesses?
I've had it replaced on recall but I would like to make double sure that I never have an issue.
Thanks guys!
depends on the year... i have a 2011 and i did not get any of the wear points common on previous years. check everything that's directly under the seat and apply more tape if needed.

i did have a problem, after 10,000 hard miles, with my throttle (close) cable wearing through underneath the gas tank.

it's definitely a good idea to remove the seat and tank and inspect for any wear. the factory cable management "system" is pretty poor....
WildmanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:16 AM   #5141
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
Ride it some and look for the paint rubbed off frame like under the seat support with the hole in it.
and any where it crosses a edge

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kawasaki+wiring...ss+rub+through
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #5142
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
depends on the year... i have a 2011 and i did not get any of the wear points common on previous years. check everything that's directly under the seat and apply more tape if needed.

i did have a problem, after 10,000 hard miles, with my throttle (close) cable wearing through underneath the gas tank.

it's definitely a good idea to remove the seat and tank and inspect for any wear. the factory cable management "system" is pretty poor....

Good advice. Some spots are tough to use tape, so a suggestion is try sections of wire loom protective wrap...with some with luck and light cursing...you can slide it to the area you need.

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #5143
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentian View Post
So I'll try this again:
Thanks guys!
If you want to make it bulletproof, go over the whole bike and add plastic wire loom and tape on every area you can.
And any thing that moves, zip tie it down.
Also remove the front fairing and do everything behind there.
There is not much to the Klr, so it isnt to hard to go over the whole bike.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #5144
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 651
There are six most common but my experience with early GenII's is better to strip the bike down and simply go over the entire thing. I've had a couple other rub points on several different GenII's. klr650.net has the six on a sticky for reference but again...strip it down and go through it yourself.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #5145
BruceDeuce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingWWW View Post
No one?
I guess you have to be part of the in crowd to get a response. To the best of my knowledge, sometimes the springs stretch, break and theres a problem. Most change them out for peace of mind.
86 KLR600 / Yamoto 50cc Quad / 2006 Loncin 110 Quad / 1985 LT250EF Quadrunner / 1979 XS650 Special / 1972 Kawasaki G3SS 90 / 1973 Aermacchi X90 / 1986 Honda 450 Rebel restored / 2003 HD Deuce Screaming Eagle / 1978 Honda 550 Four (K) / BAYOU 220 / 1985 BAHA 90 / 1987 KDX 80
BruceDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote