Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #5176
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,828
[grinnin' mentioned the Generation 1 lighting isn't the best available, answered by RevBill:]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. TRUTH ..

.. an HID swap (H4 lamp) or at least add some good aux LED lighting will GREATLY help your survival .. seriously .. that 1978 tech (Gen I headlight) sucks ..
Changing "night into day," I recommend most highly the TPI "Canadian" headlight bulb for Generation 1 KLR650s:

http://www.tpimotorcycleparts.com/in...category_id=45

Much brighter and more effectively-focused usable low beam, and a higher effective-output high beam also.

The bulb can be used alone as a direct replacement for the OEM bulb, or even better, with a dual-relay harness (also available from TPI).
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #5177
stuser
Putt putt putt

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcamp View Post
whats the benefit of the improved exhaust?
I have one of these....

http://www.staintune.com.au/exhausts...i_KLR650_1.htm

and what they don't mention is that it sounds SOOOO much better, too
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #5178
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
I put my LEXX exhaust on because of the crazy heat the stovepipe put out.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #5179
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
Quote:
whats the benefit of the improved exhaust?
.. heh heh .. I hope to find out for myself very soon .. the Leo Vince and FMF Header are enroute .. already have the carb set up with some mild tweeks ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #5180
Joetool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
I traded this bike

In on this bike

They don't look too much different, do they?
Curious about you tires and mirrors. What size is that rear and what brand are the mirrors? Any other info on your mods would be cool...
Joetool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:31 AM   #5181
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
"snip" ...But for me ease of maintenance is a biggy. I'd rather not bring a bike into the mechanic when I don't have to.
As I narrowed the focus for my "adventure MC" I checked out the procedures for standard things...oil changes, valve adjustments here on ADV, You-tube, and specific bike forums. On some bikes, unless you love wrenching a hell of a lot...simple work is hard.

KLR all the way: the basics are simple, quick, and parts cost & availability is great!

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #5182
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetool View Post
Curious about you tires and mirrors. What size is that rear and what brand are the mirrors? Any other info on your mods would be cool...

The tires are stock. Just ordered new Shinko 705's this morning. Mirrors are from a DR 650 with extenders from Procycle. I couldn't see shit out of the stock mirrors, first thing I changed.

Sargent seat, EM Doo, Dirt Racks, KLR tank bag, Rox Risers 2" handlebar risers... Subframe bolt upgrade.
Skid plate, Happy Trails Rallye Windshield kit with dash, MRA clamp on windshield attatchment, nothing serious.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #5183
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAW3 View Post
KLR all the way: the basics are simple, quick, and parts cost & availability is great!
I never liked changing the oil filter on the KLR -- it always left oil dribbling down the engine. I have always changed oil just after turning off the engine -- a practice I started with bikes from before "real" filters when I wanted all the metal particles to be still suspended in the oil so they'd drain out instead of settling in a corner of the engine.

Then one single time I changed the oil on my KLR cold. The oil filter came out with no mess. With a "real" oil filter there should be no significant downside to taking it out cold.

The engine was not just cold, but had been in my living room for a month. How long does it take for the oil to drain out of the KLR filter area?

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #5184
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,323
That's a great question. I have never known anybody to do a cold oil change. Makes sense that the filter would not be messy but I thought the reason to do it hot was so the oil would be thinner and drain properly.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #5185
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
I thought the reason to do it hot was so the oil would be thinner and drain properly.
I wanted to change oil after looking at valves and whatnot. I was prepared to leave the drain plug out overnight, but it stopped dripping fairly quickly which brings up another question: what is the actual viscosity at room temperature of a modern multi-viscosity oil?

Old 02-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #5186
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 572
Minimal maintenance and ride it.

Come on guys, your over analyzing (including me sometimes). It's a KLR. Change the oil every 2000 miles, filter change every other oil change, air in the tires, chain adjusted, adjust the valves every 20,000 miles, that's about it, don't let it get stolen, don't get run over. Do that and it will go 100,000 miles. Cold or Hot oil does not matter. These bikes are all over the world. Most KLR's are lucky if they get clean oil put in them. In third world countries they don't change the oil they just add used oil when they change oil in their work truck.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #5187
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
Come on guys, your over analyzing (including me sometimes). It's a KLR. Change the oil every 2000 miles, filter change every other oil change, air in the tires, chain adjusted, adjust the valves every 20,000 miles, that's about it, don't let it get stolen, don't get run over. Do that and it will go 100,000 miles. Cold or Hot oil does not matter. These bikes are all over the world. Most KLR's are lucky if they get clean oil put in them. In third world countries they don't change the oil they just add used oil when they change oil in their work truck.
Ditto... I had an ole 76 Honda CVCC that I had racked up 220K miles on it. Developed an oil leak from the main seal. To repair would require engine removal...not going to happen. From that point on I changed the oil filter maybe once a year and simply saved my old oil out of my bikes and topped off that Honda when needed with it. Stupid car went another 100K miles and I ended up giving it to a neighbor kid for free. He was still driving it 2yrs later...
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #5188
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
Quote:
.. you mean we are supposed to use clean oil?? .. dangit ! ! ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #5189
rdcamp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Good to hear.

I do like the sound of a bike that wont die after 20k
rdcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #5190
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Quote:
Come on guys, your over analyzing (including me sometimes).
I like maintaining my bikes and I'll try to do that reasonably well. I have always changed oil in all my vehicles hot but I'm not sure it's necessary. If you don't like discussing it then don't.

I doubt that my '75 and '76 bikes would be in the good condition they're in if they didn't get reasonable care. They get used (the '75 got about 5,000 miles last year because I put most of last year's miles on the KLR.)