Old 02-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #5191
Incredulous
Peanut Gallery

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcamp View Post
Good to hear.

I do like the sound of a bike that wont die after 20k
Ha, mine just passed 23k and it runs better than ever. Many people on here that have much higher mileage.

Great bikes.
Incredulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #5192
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
II have often read that the Gen 1 headlight is not so good
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. TRUTH ..

.. an HID swap (H4 lamp) or at least add some good aux LED lighting will GREATLY help your survival .. seriously .. that 1978 tech (Gen I headlight) sucks ..
Stock lamp is crap, pretty much. I upgraded to a Sylvania Silverstar lamp and wired it for high beam, then just adjusted it to low beam. Then I wired up a pair of Rigid Duallys for high beams/driving lamps. MUCH better then the OEM Phillips.

I then decided that the Halogen must go and swapped it for an H4 HID, 4500K. I'm not one to go around and swapping in Federally Prohibited lamps into an OEM application, but that only applies to cars, so I went with it. The cutoff is just as sharp as stock, more light output though, so I left it. Will eventually upgrade to an LED headlamp for LED's all around

I also did a relay mod, so that the low beam stays on and the LED's flick on for high beams. I can post the diagram if anyone's curious...

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #5193
Strave19
n00b savant

Oddometer: 77
Seeking some troubleshooting help

I've got a 2007 KLR650 (~50,000mi) that I've only been able to put a few hundred miles on since I got it last year. Had no issues on the few rides I was able to go on, until I relocated last fall and rode it ~100mi to my new place when I ran into an issue and have not ridden it since....

I was cruising down a highway and sped up to pass somebody (~75mph) when it totally cut out on me. No power at all, it didnt seize or anything, and really didn't feel like I lost fuel because it was totally sudden. I pulled off the road and before I came to a stop it started again. I rode another 5 miles before it did it again. I limped the rest of the way with it cutting out intermittently both on the highway/in town. The problem deterred me from riding it since then (plus the cold weather and having another bike to ride), but now I've got some time that I can put into it.

I'm 95% sure its an electrical issue, but it never blew a fuse. I plan to go through the wiring and check for anything that looks suspect. Another idea I had was the clutch/kickstand cutoff thingy. I don't know much about this and I think the PO disabled both but is there a way to easily check how it should function when enabled/disabled, and I can then also double check whatever re-wiring was done there.

Any help or other ideas appreciated, sorry if its long-winded.

Strave19 screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 07:00 PM
Strave19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #5194
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strave19 View Post
I've got a 2007 KLR650 (~50,000mi) that I've only been able to put a few hundred miles on since I got it last year. Had no issues on the few rides I was able to go on, until I relocated last fall and rode it ~100mi to my new place when I ran into an issue and have not ridden it since....

I was cruising down a highway and sped up to pass somebody (~75mph) when it totally cut out on me. No power at all, it didnt seize or anything, and really didn't feel like I lost fuel because it was totally sudden. I pulled off the road and before I came to a stop it started again. I rode another 5 miles before it did it again. I limped the rest of the way with it cutting out intermittently both on the highway/in town. The problem deterred me from riding it since then (plus the cold weather and having another bike to ride), but now I've got some time that I can put into it.

I'm 95% sure its an electrical issue, but it never blew a fuse. I plan to go through the wiring and check for anything that looks suspect. Another idea I had was the clutch/kickstand cutoff thingy. I don't know much about this and I think the PO disabled both but is there a way to easily check how it should function when enabled/disabled, and I can then also double check whatever re-wiring was done there.

.. check the safety switches .. start with the side stand first .. good and easy place to start .. it that sucker is loose or shaking around it'll act just like that .. then the clutch safety before you go digging into anything else ..

.. just an idea ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #5195
stuser
Putt putt putt

Oddometer: 374
Quote:

Did your lights stay on or go off when you lose power?
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:12 AM   #5196
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
That's a great question. I have never known anybody to do a cold oil change. Makes sense that the filter would not be messy but I thought the reason to do it hot was so the oil would be thinner and drain properly.
I've always changed oil in the morning with motor cold.

My theory is, it's been draining all night.

Just me....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #5197
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,498
Quote:
I don't know much about this and I think the PO disabled both but is there a way to easily check how it should function when enabled/disabled, and I can then also double check whatever re-wiring was done there.
One way to test is to start the bike, put the sidestand DOWN then let out the clutch. If you ride away with the sidestand down then either the sidestand switch or the clutch switch is disabled. Or both.

Although the sidestand switch is the only one that should cut the engine while riding, you can easily short all the safety switches at once. To do that you short together the two wires in the photo marked with green hash marks. These are in the plug that you pull out of the far left connection, the one nearest the clutch handle and choke.

Photo doesn't show much context; large photo is looking back from standing beside front wheel. Inset photo is looking slightly forward from the left-side mirror. The photo is a bit washed out, but those wires are blue w/red and black w/yellow.

This short is on wires that go to the clutch switch, but they are partially in parallel with the wires from the CDI to the sidestand switch. The short tells the both the CDI unit and the starter switch that the clutch is always disengaged.

(Damn. Now Photobucket has "upgraded" their system and it's so bloated that even with a good connection I can barely upload a single photo. Progress is great when it's available in a level market, but it is not economical for companies to sell DSL or cable on my road so I'm SOL. There was a period that I could use even Smuigmug, but there have also been periods when I could not access any of my photos on any service. Rant off -- please return to your KLR.)

Grinnin screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 05:14 AM
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:20 AM   #5198
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 591
Quote:

I'm 95% sure its an electrical issue, but it never blew a fuse.

I would start at the kick stand switch. He may have disabled it and didn't do a proper job.
Might have just twisted the wires together, as you were driving the wires weren't making

100% connection making the engine cut in and out.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:26 AM   #5199
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,423
You can be riding and have the fire go out, without blowing a single fuse.

A wire rub could and does occur wire vs. plastic in some places, never blows a fuse, but the wire separates (and then corrodes sometimes) to the point of "failure" and you simply coast to a very unsettling stop. And then you scratch your noggin, and go... wtf?

Ask me how I know.... it can be a pisser to find the fault. Check your MAIN FUSE too -- the big mother, pull it out-- is where it slides in green and furry with corosion?

Battery connections loose or green?

Trace the harness - at plug connections and junctions-- open the connectors up and look for green corrosion- clean if ness. Blow the connections out good, coat with Dielectric grease and re-assemble. Even if you find that the fault is unrelated to connections or plugs, your bike will be happier for it, the Dielectric helps to keep moisture out of those plugs.

Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #5200
Strave19
n00b savant

Oddometer: 77
Appreciate the help guys. I'll start with the easiest stuff first. I may even be able to get started today so I'll keep you posted and hopefully its something easy. Need to go through the wiring on any used bike before a long trip anyway, so if it comes to that so-be it. I just hope its something that is obvious when I find it, instead of one of those electrical issues that comes and goes and every time you think you may have fixed it, you didn't...

I cant say for sure whether the lights stayed on or off, it was months ago the last time I rode it. It would have been a good mental note to make, though. I'll make a mental note, to make a mental note, next time it happens. If I remember correctly everything shut off, it was like someone flipped a switch and everything just died, but I cant be certain because I was more focused on not dying or being angry.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #5201
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Appreciate the help guys. I'll start with the easiest stuff first. I may even be able to get started today so I'll keep you posted and hopefully its something easy. Need to go through the wiring on any used bike before a long trip anyway, so if it comes to that so-be it. I just hope its something that is obvious when I find it, instead of one of those electrical issues that comes and goes and every time you think you may have fixed it, you didn't...

I cant say for sure whether the lights stayed on or off, it was months ago the last time I rode it. It would have been a good mental note to make, though. I'll make a mental note, to make a mental note, next time it happens. If I remember correctly everything shut off, it was like someone flipped a switch and everything just died, but I cant be certain because I was more focused on not dying or being angry.
.. good things to focus on when in trouble ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #5202
Z_HARSH
Like margarine?

Oddometer: 478
Side covers Gen II

I am looking for 2008+ side panels (both sides) black or red. Please PM me if you just so happen to be able to part with such a thing.
SPREAD THE WORD, SAVE OUR SPORT!!
Z_HARSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #5203
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,860
Quote:
Appreciate the help guys. I'll start with the easiest stuff first.
The "electrical problem" diagnosis seems quite likely; if not that, an intermittent fuel delivery problem could be involved.

I'd suggest you check your fuel tank petcock; make sure the vacuum hose connection is solid, and that you get full fuel flow when vacuum is applied.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:57 AM   #5204
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
I'll start with the easiest stuff first.
That's my style......

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:26 AM   #5205
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
The "electrical problem" diagnosis seems quite likely; if not that, an intermittent fuel delivery problem could be involved.
My KLR hits "reserve"* very suddenly, especially at freeway speeds. There's none of the lean surge and loss of power that I get on multis, but it pulls great then it doesn't. (Although I've never had it totally die.)

I just figured it was me and this KLR being my very first thumper. It happened with both the stock petcock and the Raptor.

So I second XDR and say you may want to check the vacuum connection, vacuum diaphram, and petcock passages.

*Or more correctly, my KLR carb responds to low gas in the float bowl when it's time to change to reserve.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote