Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 06:10 AM   #5206
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strave19 View Post
I've got a 2007 KLR650 (~50,000mi) that I've only been able to put a few hundred miles on since I got it last year. Had no issues on the few rides I was able to go on, until I relocated last fall and rode it ~100mi to my new place when I ran into an issue and have not ridden it since....

I was cruising down a highway and sped up to pass somebody (~75mph) when it totally cut out on me. No power at all, it didnt seize or anything, and really didn't feel like I lost fuel because it was totally sudden. I pulled off the road and before I came to a stop it started again. I rode another 5 miles before it did it again. I limped the rest of the way with it cutting out intermittently both on the highway/in town. The problem deterred me from riding it since then (plus the cold weather and having another bike to ride), but now I've got some time that I can put into it.

I'm 95% sure its an electrical issue, but it never blew a fuse. I plan to go through the wiring and check for anything that looks suspect. Another idea I had was the clutch/kickstand cutoff thingy. I don't know much about this and I think the PO disabled both but is there a way to easily check how it should function when enabled/disabled, and I can then also double check whatever re-wiring was done there.

Any help or other ideas appreciated, sorry if its long-winded.
Gen 1 bikes had trouble with the carburetor vent line. Under certain conditions having to do with
speed, wind direction - the carburetor vent line gets negative pressure, such that for a short while,
fuel can't exit the bowl. There is a common modification for this problem, detailed here:
http://www.klr650.marknet.us/Carb_tmod.pdf
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #5207
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,171
FWIW my '08 started cutting out for a "split second" after it had a couple thousand miles on it, sometimes so quick that it almost felt like I hit a gust of wind, or a bump in the road, but it was certainly a fleeting loss of power. There was a factory recall on the wiring harness (already mentioned) but when we examined the harness, it all looked good. My dealer ended up replacing the harness anyway, and that did solve the problem.

When it was occurring, I never noticed the lights (speedo or headlite) going out, it just happened so quickly.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #5208
NHMatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
I need a left side for my 08 and ebay seems to have a bunch of them. Color doesn't matter for me because I'm going with a fine grit spray on bedliner. I am wondering if I should paint the frame with it too or use a flat black paint. Any thoughts?
Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #5209
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMatt View Post
I need a left side for my 08 and ebay seems to have a bunch of them. Color doesn't matter for me because I'm going with a fine grit spray on bedliner. I am wondering if I should paint the frame with it too or use a flat black paint. Any thoughts?
If you like electrical problems by all means use poly spray-on bedliner
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #5210
NHMatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
If you like electrical problems by all means use poly spray-on bedliner
Yea I was kind of thinking about that stuff too. I have my tank and all my plastic painted with the rattle can bedliner and I kind of like it. It's a nice flat black without the chunks of rubber in it. I have always liked flat black as a color but even flat black spray paint isn't quite flat enough for me. I always felt it made the piece look like a cheap aftermarket fender from NAPA. I'll probably redo the bedliner on the tank and plastic then do the frame, swingarm, forks and rims with a good flat black spray paint. I have the bike stripped down to just the engine and wheels right now. All the electrical is pulled off and hopefully I remember how it all went together. I know that at least I can't run the wires any worse than Kawi did.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #5211
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,579
I know this topic has been covered, but I am searching for some real world opinions about USD forks on 08+ KLR's. I have a pair of forks off of
a 1992 KX500, that I am considering installing on my 11 KLR. Just a little about my riding. I am an off road rider mostly. I spend 90% of my riding time in the dirt. I love the comfort of the KLR, but it really needs help in the suspension department. I am thinking Moab in the rear. I am also considering just better fork springs, fork brace, and race take emulators.

Is there anyone that really uses the KLR for alot of off road riding.
I am not trying to make it a dirt bike by any means. Just would like to have better feel in the suspension. I feel that the KLR is a great D/S bike,
and that is what I do with it mostly, is forest roads, some sand, and roots, rocks, etc... on the high country D/S rides. Any feed back would
be greatly appreciated.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #5212
fatboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
I don't really think of the klr as a dirt bike by any means. That said, I added gold valves, progressive springs and fork brace to mine. Hated the way it danced on gravel/shale and refused to turn on pavement. I think its a lot easier to rework the fork than to replace it ... and its never going to be a dirt bike for ya without some compromise.
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #5213
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDad View Post
I am an off road rider mostly. I spend 90% of my riding time in the dirt. I am thinking Moab in the rear. I am also considering just better fork springs, fork brace, and race take emulators.

Is there anyone that really uses the KLR for alot of off road riding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
I don't really think of the klr as a dirt bike by any means. That said, I added gold valves, progressive springs and fork brace to mine.
I saved the money I'd spend making my KLR into a dirt bike and bought a used XR650. Now I have a great KLR for what it's good at and the XR w/knobbies for the off-road banging. Works for me....
Old 02-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #5214
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,579
Yea, I get what you guys are saying. Problem with me is I always end up
pushing the bike a little more than it was intended for. Just thinking the suspension would help alot over stock. I owned a 08 530, that was perfect for the more technical D/S rides. Seems like every D/S ride we go on, some how we end up on some technical stuff. I am in the market for a plated KTM, along with doing some suspension upgrades to the KLR.
Just like to tinker with it. I have tried DR650's, 06 Husky 610, 06 KLX250s, for D/S stuff, and so far I like the KLR for its comfort on the highway and large dirt roads. The Husky was one of my favorite D/S bikes for out here. 150/200 mile rides were not too uncomfortable. But when you start approaching 500 mile rides, the KLR is more appealing to me.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #5215
MountainGoatMyke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDad View Post
I am thinking Moab in the rear. I am also considering just better fork springs, fork brace, and race take emulators.

I equipted my KLR with the F1 Engineering Military Shock. Its super plush and made of Titanuim :) It is now being sold by a different company based in CA, But its still the same machined part. I recommend this over the Moab shock. Here's the link: http://shop.noleenj6.com/product.sc?...2&categoryId=4

In my forks, I run Gold Valve's and Progressive springs. works great, but still not USD forks ! hahaha. KX500 is a good conversion. Good Luck :)
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir. 1901
MountainGoatMyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #5216
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeMyke View Post
I equipted my KLR with the F1 Engineering Military Shock. Its super plush and made of Titanuim :) It is now being sold by a different company based in CA, But its still the same machined part. I recommend this over the Moab shock. Here's the link: http://shop.noleenj6.com/product.sc?...2&categoryId=4

In my forks, I run Gold Valve's and Progressive springs. works great, but still not USD forks ! hahaha. KX500 is a good conversion. Good Luck :)
I have a F1 shock as well and have rebuilt both it and several Moab's. I set my F1 up for when Im 2up with proper spring and valving. Its a nice shock, easy to service but I'd still recommend the products from Cogent Dynamic's (Moab shock). Mostly due to the folks at Cogent.

The company who took over F1 shocks is www.Noleenj6.com BTW...not sure what titanium you are referring to on the F1 shock. Body is all aluminum but the shaft is hardened black anodized which is a nice upgrade over chrome.

Aprilia screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 05:57 PM
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #5217
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeMyke View Post
I equipted my KLR with the F1 Engineering Military Shock. I recommend this over the Moab shock.
And your reasons are...?
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #5218
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 589
Hey guys just wanted to share our latest klr parts.

The hubs accept oem speedo and 100% oem interchangable so you can run your oem cush or purchase ours in addition. The 320mm floating front rotor includes the caliper adapter bracket.

warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #5219
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
A supermoto KLR?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #5220
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
A supermoto KLR?
I agree but we only build what people ask for.

But dont worry we build the stock size too
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote