Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #5221
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,050
What do the inmates think of the Shinko 700's? Thinking about getting a 4.60-17 for the rear and a 3.0-21 for the front.

I would go for the 705's but not a fan of the look of the tire.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #5222
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
What do the inmates think of the Shinko 700's? Thinking about getting a 4.60-17 for the rear and a 3.0-21 for the front.

How shallow can you be?
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #5223
Mnrider2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
I just put new kenda K270's on.
5.10-17 and 3.25-21 they fit and look great.
I had them on my other KLR's also.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #5224
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
How shallow can you be?
Very. KLR650 is the best bike ever made. Ever. Don't need to try other bikes, KLR650 is teh bestest.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
Old 02-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #5225
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:

I'm a Fan.... I run the 5.10-17 on mine. Get about 5-6K out of a rear.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #5226
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post
I'm a Fan.... I run the 5.10-17 on mine. Get about 5-6K out of a rear.
I am seeing that the 5.10 is a tubeless tire... Would it still work fine with the factory wheels?

Old 02-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #5227
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
I am seeing that the 5.10 is a tubeless tire... Would it still work fine with the factory wheels?
Yes, but run a tube of course....
Old 02-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #5228
Strave19
n00b savant

Oddometer: 77
Maybe not the right place to continue my troubleshooting, but...

Continued from a couple pages back, having an electrical cut-out issue that I thought could be the sidestand switch.

Okay. I've checked a couple of things just to see whats what. The bike starts without the clutch pulled in, and I can put it in gear and move with the kickstand down, so looks like both are disabled. Everything looked stock around the kickstand switch and there are no wires cut at that point so it must have been disabled elsewhere. I only have the sidecovers and seat and a few other covers off but have cleaned any connections I've found so far and all looks good. Also the petcock vacuum line is firmly attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
One way to test is to start the bike, put the sidestand DOWN then let out the clutch. If you ride away with the sidestand down then either the sidestand switch or the clutch switch is disabled. Or both.

Although the sidestand switch is the only one that should cut the engine while riding, you can easily short all the safety switches at once. To do that you short together the two wires in the photo marked with green hash marks. These are in the plug that you pull out of the far left connection, the one nearest the clutch handle and choke.

Photo doesn't show much context; large photo is looking back from standing beside front wheel. Inset photo is looking slightly forward from the left-side mirror. The photo is a bit washed out, but those wires are blue w/red and black w/yellow.

This short is on wires that go to the clutch switch, but they are partially in parallel with the wires from the CDI to the sidestand switch. The short tells the both the CDI unit and the starter switch that the clutch is always disengaged.
^^^^^I'll check and see if maybe this has been done and is coming apart or something???

Next step I suppose is to remove the fairing and see what I find with the wiring and then the gas tank and do the same... Any other tips?

Strave19 screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 01:45 PM
Strave19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #5229
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
You can run a tubeless tire on a tube rim but you can not run a tube tire on a tubeless rim
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #5230
Hack'dTiger
n00b schn00b

Oddometer: 557
RE: 705s

Quote:

I've been running 705s for ~8k miles. Great all around tire. Cheap. Good mileage. Great traction on the street. Decent in the dirt. Junk in mud.

I also run them on my Tenere, for the same reasons.

Hack'dTiger screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 02:55 PM
Hack'dTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #5231
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strave19 View Post
Any other tips?

Check your plug wire. I traced a miss/hesitation under load to a loose plug wire. It was barely finger tight at both the coil and plug cap....I was amazed there was any spark at all. The bike never cut completely out like yours did, but easy to check and one more variable to eliminate.
KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #5232
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strave19 View Post
Continued from a couple pages back, having an electrical cut-out issue that I thought could be the sidestand switch.

Okay. I've checked a couple of things just to see whats what. The bike starts without the clutch pulled in, and I can put it in gear and move with the kickstand down, so looks like both are disabled. Everything looked stock around the kickstand switch and there are no wires cut at that point so it must have been disabled elsewhere. I only have the sidecovers and seat and a few other covers off but have cleaned any connections I've found so far and all looks good. Also the petcock vacuum line is firmly attached.

^^^^^I'll check and see if maybe this has been done and is coming apart or something???

Next step I suppose is to remove the fairing and see what I find with the wiring and then the gas tank and do the same... Any other tips?
Just FYI, I had a similar issue with my bike.
Even though the vacuum line was firmly attached with no holes or cracks, it turned out I had a vacuum issue.
My petcock was leaking air in.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #5233
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
The 705's are great tires, I am a fan. Used them on a Strom, a Tiger XC and now just bought a set for the KLR. Looks are subjective I guess.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #5234
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,168
Quote:

A friend put that on his and the width looks way too skinny for the KLR. Get the 5.10. I would get the 244 over the 700. Tread is more aggressive, yet a GREAT tire!
Old 02-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #5235
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
A friend put that on his and the width looks way too skinny for the KLR. Get the 5.10. I would get the 244 over the 700. Tread is more aggressive, yet a GREAT tire!
Alright cool. I think I'll get the 700's and wear them out then try out the 244's. Shouldn't be too long until I burn out the new set