Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #5236
triple3jrb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Poll: Noise after upgrading doo

Hey,

Just replaced the doo and torsion spring on my 08 with 10k on it. Tear down and re-install was fairly straight forward. Started back up and no explosion or grinding just started fine. However I am noticing the "whirr" sound but although the engine is way smoother and not as diesel sounding, it still has a significant sound from the balancer assembly. Is this normal?

JB
triple3jrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #5237
Joetool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeathrow Bowdean View Post
Hi joetool. You are correct. You should be able to fit that size tire on your 2008 KLR with out any problems.

Front Heidenau K 60 Scout comes on 90/90-21 M/C54H

The rear you can get in 130/80-17 M/C 65T TL or 140/80-17 M/C 69H TL.

Here is there web sight to go with this Joetool

http://heidenautires.com/dual-sport-tires

From Jeathrow Bowdean. PS: I'm putting a set on my V-Strom and my DRZ. The dudes are get some crazy miles out of them, but tap it cool in the rain from what I hear. V Strom International has a awesome write up about them as well..
Help please unconfusal me!! I posted this^^^here and this in the rocky mountain regional: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post20780331
I called two local shops: Performance in Denver said a 140 wouldn't fit and there was no difference in compound, and Boulder powersports said they had never heard of a K60(2 employees!)
Now I have no idea what to get? Who's right? Does ANYONE have proof a 140/80-17 K60 wil fit a KLR 2011?? Pictures?
Are motorcycle shops full of idiots? I thought supportin local business was cool, but 0 for 2? Should I order online? And hope it fits? Should I get a tubeless rear and put a tube in it?

Help please...

Joetool screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 05:45 PM Reason: make more sense...
Joetool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #5238
Motozark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
new spring

Ok guys I am looking to change the spring on my stock shock. I am planning on getting an eibach spring but I am not sure what weight to get. I weigh about 190 and I would like to be able to carry up to my wife, who weighs just a little less then I do, or enough camping gear to last a week. I have lowered my bike an inch and a half and that really changed to suspension dynamics on it. I figure a 400, 450, or 500 lbs spring should work. Just not sure which one will be best. Any input would be great! Oh and by the way it is a 2004 klr and my first ds bike. I have always owned cruiser bikes and never any dirt riding. This is a whole new world of biking for me and I am loving it!!!
Motozark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #5239
Joetool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
This guy has some Eibach springs for sale: http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=14537

I just bought a windshield and fender from him 2 weeks ago (same sale), he's good to go...
Joetool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #5240
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
Alright cool. I think I'll get the 700's and wear them out then try out the 244's. Shouldn't be too long until I burn out the new set
Ordered up a couple of 700's, dealer was able to price match Motorcycle Superstore's prices. They'll be in on Tuesday, hopefully.

In other news, paid off the registration and even bought a new battery. Blew a lot of $ on this damn bike today...

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #5241
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motozark View Post
Ok guys I am looking to change the spring on my stock shock. I am planning on getting an eibach spring but I am not sure what weight to get. I weigh about 190 and I would like to be able to carry up to my wife, who weighs just a little less then I do, or enough camping gear to last a week. I have lowered my bike an inch and a half and that really changed to suspension dynamics on it. I figure a 400, 450, or 500 lbs spring should work. Just not sure which one will be best. Any input would be great! Oh and by the way it is a 2004 klr and my first ds bike. I have always owned cruiser bikes and never any dirt riding. This is a whole new world of biking for me and I am loving it!!!
With your wife on the bike you would definatly like the 500 spring.
I have a 550 on my 2008 and I have luggage and I weigh 250 with gear. I ride solo.
Happy trails website has a informative page on eibach springs with the recommended ranges
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #5242
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motozark View Post
Here you go, heres the link.
http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/Sh...gs-KLR650.aspx
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #5243
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
I am buying a 2003 KLR for a friend from Belguim to ride for his 3 month vacation here in Western Canada.
He is 6'2" and the bike I found for him is lowered.....so I was wondering if there was a suggestion on where to buy the original links? I searched the flea market with no success. Are there shops you could suggest?
Thanks
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #5244
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,090
You can always post a wanted ad around the forums.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #5245
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple3jrb View Post
Hey,

Just replaced the doo and torsion spring on my 08 with 10k on it. Tear down and re-install was fairly straight forward. Started back up and no explosion or grinding just started fine. However I am noticing the "whirr" sound but although the engine is way smoother and not as diesel sounding, it still has a significant sound from the balancer assembly. Is this normal?

JB
yep. That whirr is a good sound.... You did fine!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #5246
triple3jrb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
yep. That whirr is a good sound.... You did fine!!!
have you noticed that the sound increases as the engine warms up?
triple3jrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #5247
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,277
Anyone know if 1994 wheels will work on a 2009?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #5248
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetool View Post
Help please unconfusal me!! I posted this^^^here and this in the rocky mountain regional: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post20780331
I called two local shops: Performance in Denver said a 140 wouldn't fit and there was no difference in compound, and Boulder powersports said they had never heard of a K60(2 employees!)
Now I have no idea what to get? Who's right? Does ANYONE have proof a 140/80-17 K60 wil fit a KLR 2011?? Pictures?
Are motorcycle shops full of idiots? I thought supportin local business was cool, but 0 for 2? Should I order online? And hope it fits? Should I get a tubeless rear and put a tube in it?

Help please...
Nearly all tire manufactures post the recommended rim width for each of their tires. I have yet to see a 140 tire that was recommended for the stock OEM KLR rim (its too narrow). I run a 150 width rear but my rim is 4.25" wide.

Sounds like you need to do some research on that particular tire and what rim width its designed to fit or go back to the first shop and say thank you as they appeared to have given you good advice.

Nothing wrong with installing a tubeless tire on a tube rim. You can't install a tube tire on a tubeless rim.

All else fails.... read your owners manual (granted the GenII owners manual is full of errors so that was probably bad advice)
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:17 AM   #5249
electroken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple3jrb View Post
have you noticed that the sound increases as the engine warms up?
I haven't noticed an increase in sound as the engine heats. I do know the slight whine you mentioned, though. I did the doo in my '08 4 years ago and the engine sound was immediately more sewing machine and less rock crusher.
electroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:25 AM   #5250
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
With your wife on the bike you would definatly like the 500 spring.
I have a 550 on my 2008 and I have luggage and I weigh 250 with gear. I ride solo.
Happy trails website has a informative page on eibach springs with the recommended ranges

I am running the 550 spring as well...weigh 190...carry entirely to much crap...
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote