Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #5251
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
Nearly all tire manufactures post the recommended rim width for each of their tires. I have yet to see a 140 tire that was recommended for the stock OEM KLR rim (its too narrow). I run a 150 width rear but my rim is 4.25" wide.

Sounds like you need to do some research on that particular tire and what rim width its designed to fit or go back to the first shop and say thank you as they appeared to have given you good advice.

Nothing wrong with installing a tubeless tire on a tube rim. You can't install a tube tire on a tubeless rim.

All else fails.... read your owners manual (granted the GenII owners manual is full of errors so that was probably bad advice)
Are you running a 150 knobby or street tire ?
What about clearance issues like the chain guard,muffler, and the front of the swing arm?
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:15 AM   #5252
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I am buying a 2003 KLR for a friend from Belguim to ride for his 3 month vacation here in Western Canada.
He is 6'2" and the bike I found for him is lowered.....so I was wondering if there was a suggestion on where to buy the original links? I searched the flea market with no success. Are there shops you could suggest?
Thanks

Eagle Mike makes them
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:20 AM   #5253
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 551
up or down can't beat this price

Quote:
I am buying a 2003 KLR for a friend from Belguim to ride for his 3 month vacation here in Western Canada.
He is 6'2" and the bike I found for him is lowered.....so I was wondering if there was a suggestion on where to buy the original links? I searched the flea market with no success. Are there shops you could suggest?
Thanks
http://burkhartcycle.com/store/index...&products_id=5 $23.00

http://www.eaglemike.com/raising-lin...KLR650-7RL.htm $69.99
Old 02-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #5254
triple3jrb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroken View Post
I haven't noticed an increase in sound as the engine heats. I do know the slight whine you mentioned, though. I did the doo in my '08 4 years ago and the engine sound was immediately more sewing machine and less rock crusher.
Wow! Yes, that is the exact sound mine is making. Thanks! Hopefully I can quit thinking i screwed something up. Now if spring would finally get here and it would stop snowing I could get out and ride!

thanks,

JB
triple3jrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #5255
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Thank you!
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #5256
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Are you running a 150 knobby or street tire ?
What about clearance issues like the chain guard,muffler, and the front of the swing arm?
Street biased. Currently running 705's. You can't run the stock OEM upper chain guide. For safety reasons you can mount the OEM lower guard but I went with a shark fin that bolts to the lower swingarm. With a set of Pirelli and bridgestone 150's I had zero clearance issues with OEM pipe and plastic under pan. With the 705's the tire barely touches both. No issue with touching on the front of the swing arm.

Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #5257
SUNTZU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple3jrb View Post
Wow! Yes, that is the exact sound mine is making. Thanks! Hopefully I can quit thinking i screwed something up. Now if spring would finally get here and it would stop snowing I could get out and ride!

thanks,

JB
I've got some experience with this issue, so heres my 2cents on the matter.
The "rock crusher" sound is more likely coming from a combination of a worn chain and the grease/dirt built up inside the counter sprocket cover.
The section of chain with the most stretch is just loose enough to drag on this dirt/grease build up inside the sprocket cover, producing the notorious, "rock crusher" sound when the KLR is in motion at lower speeds. Once cleaned out, the sound is reduced to a, "whirling sound" which disappears, when the chain is replaced.
For me, the whirling sound has been an audible alert of sorts to let me know the chain needs to be replaced
SUNTZU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #5258
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,354
Well, after 13 years and 32,000 miles, something finally left me on a crippled KLR. Stuck in 1st gear.
Got home and pulled the clutch cover off and found the shifter tenshion blade spring broken and not holding the shift pawl against the star wheel. So, parts on order. ;-)

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #5259
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Well, after 13 years and 32,000 miles, something finally left me on a crippled KLR. Stuck in 1st gear.
Got home and pulled the clutch cover off and found the shifter tenshion blade spring broken and not holding the shift pawl against the star wheel. So, parts on order. ;-)
What parts do you need, might have something in a bin at an appropriate bin price
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #5260
surlywill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motozark View Post
Ok guys I am looking to change the spring on my stock shock. I am planning on getting an eibach spring but I am not sure what weight to get. I weigh about 190 and I would like to be able to carry up to my wife, who weighs just a little less then I do, or enough camping gear to last a week. I have lowered my bike an inch and a half and that really changed to suspension dynamics on it. I figure a 400, 450, or 500 lbs spring should work. Just not sure which one will be best. Any input would be great! Oh and by the way it is a 2004 klr and my first ds bike. I have always owned cruiser bikes and never any dirt riding. This is a whole new world of biking for me and I am loving it!!!
Im 190# and run a 450# Eibach on my 07. Unloaded I run preload at 2 but loaded with gear run it at 5. if I were you i would start with a 500 or 550.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #5261
Joetool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlywill View Post
Im 190# and run a 450# Eibach on my 07. Unloaded I run preload at 2 but loaded with gear run it at 5. if I were you i would start with a 500 or 550.
What do you run in the forks? I'm reading that you have to balance anything you do to the rear with something matching to the front...
Joetool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #5262
triple3jrb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNTZU View Post
I've got some experience with this issue, so heres my 2cents on the matter.
The "rock crusher" sound is more likely coming from a combination of a worn chain and the grease/dirt built up inside the counter sprocket cover.
The section of chain with the most stretch is just loose enough to drag on this dirt/grease build up inside the sprocket cover, producing the notorious, "rock crusher" sound when the KLR is in motion at lower speeds. Once cleaned out, the sound is reduced to a, "whirling sound" which disappears, when the chain is replaced.
For me, the whirling sound has been an audible alert of sorts to let me know the chain needs to be replaced
I have experienced that as well. So i purchased all new sprockets and chain. When i took of the CS cover to do the doo i noticed that there was 3 small pebbles lodged behind the sprocket/chain. :) Thought it was pretty funny cause i know the sound you are talking about and it would annoy the piss out of me. Still going to replace all sprockets but after removing those rocks it is all better.

i also suffer from freak paranoia after doing anything major mechanically. always over analyze every single little sound thinking i F'd it up!

I think in general though that the klr pre-doo sounded like a rock crusher (not in motion) now post doo it sure does sound like a souped up sewing machine. but it is so much smoother.
triple3jrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #5263
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Question Not a KLR owner yet.....

Wanting to get my first KLR when I return to the US. The bike in post #5256 I think has what appears to be an 18 or 19" tire up front. What's the reason for doing that? My first few ventures on the KLR when I get it will be mostly on road and I'm considering putting street tires on it for that. Does that change the handling much or ride switching to the smaller diameter tire? No problems investing in other rims but I'm looking for a reason why I would want to.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #5264
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
Wanting to get my first KLR when I return to the US. The bike in post #5256 I think has what appears to be an 18 or 19" tire up front. What's the reason for doing that? My first few ventures on the KLR when I get it will be mostly on road and I'm considering putting street tires on it for that. Does that change the handling much or ride switching to the smaller diameter tire? No problems investing in other rims but I'm looking for a reason why I would want to.

That set-up appears to be 17/17.

To answer your question, a 19" front will split the difference between a 21" front (offroad biased) and 17" front (street biased). The 19" will give you better handling on the street, over the 21", and will perform better offroad than a 17".

Also, the 19/17 combo should give you better access to more 70/30 and 80/20 tire selections.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #5265
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Thanks
Just saw this in the flea market.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865216

Not sure they will fit the 2003, but I'm sure someone here knows the answer.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote