Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #5296
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,331
Did a long trip and had to get the salt off mostly.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #5297
The Stew
Why not Zoidberg?

Oddometer: 50
I just lightly power wash mine when it gets bad.
2006 KLR650 Aztek Red / SW Motec Bars, Givi Top Case, Tank Bag, PMR Rear Luggage Guard, IMS Pro pegs, Mirror Relocation mod, Moose Folding Shift Lever, Gold Valve Cartridge Fork Emulators, T-Mod, Coleman Seat Cover, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Horse Saddlebags, Drill Through Subframe Upgrade, 12.9 Bolts, Doohickey, 16TFS, AGM Battery, AeroLED Tail Light
The Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #5298
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,331
I keep all my stuff clean like that, bad habit.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #5299
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Question for ya. I have the rear wheel off my '06, trying to change bearings. The right (rotor) side spacer is stuck on there hard. This one isn't pressed into a bearing or anything, is it? Shouldn't it just lift off like the other spacers? Thanks.
Mine typically fall out via gravity. No, they aren't pressed. Should be a slip fit.

Here's hoping your bearings aren't that bad to cause the parts to seize/weld together.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #5300
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Mine typically fall out via gravity. No, they aren't pressed. Should be a slip fit.

Here's hoping your bearings aren't that bad to cause the parts to seize/weld together.
Thanks. We will see...

Sent from my C771
Old 02-26-2013, 05:49 AM   #5301
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Question for ya. I have the rear wheel off my '06, trying to change bearings. The right (rotor) side spacer is stuck on there hard. This one isn't pressed into a bearing or anything, is it? Shouldn't it just lift off like the other spacers? Thanks.
Sounds like you ran it to long and it's welded in the bearing.

We have a friend that maintains his KLR when it breaks. I changed my rear bearings at 22,000 miles, did they need it? There was a little slop in the carrier bearing, I might have gotten another 5,000 miles out of it, for $17 dollars I changed all three of them for piece of mind. I took the old bearings to the local bearing shop and bought bearings that were twice the quality over stock, seals on both sides. This friend has run his bearings to failure. Personally I would have noticed something was wrong before the sprocket carrier cut part way thru the swingarm. He's the rider that changes one sprocket or just the chain. We all know they should be changed as a set. The crazy part is, he has the money, he's just cheap. He will squeeze a quarter until the eagle screams. I change parts/tires when I have used 70% of their life. The next crazy part is, he wants my used parts.
We rate our rides on how many parts fall off of his bike or how many times our other friend falls over on his KLR.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #5302
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Try heating things up with a propane torch. Get it hot, but not too hot. I gauge it by touch, as soon as you can no longer touch it, then that should be enough, then try popping it out.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #5303
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Try heating things up with a propane torch. Get it hot, but not too hot. I gauge it by touch, as soon as you can no longer touch it, then that should be enough, then try popping it out.
Ditto...
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #5304
wapiti1001
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
JNS Skidplate & Tool Tube

Has anyone attempted to mount a tool tube to the JNS Skidplate? Any success?
wapiti1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #5305
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 275
Dropping voltage

I've noticed the voltage on my '04 KLR650 has been dropping from 14.8V to 12.5V over a 45 minute ride to work with heated vest and grips running. Initially turning off the grips will bring the voltage back up but by the time I get to work it wont. I have changed all the lights except the headlamp to LED, and the battery is a 1.5 year old AGM. Ive been running this setup for about a year without any trouble until one particularly cold day last week when I turned on the grips while wearing heated glove liners because one liner wouldnt heat up on my way to work. I dont know if I overloaded the charging system.
I've had charging systems quit on me but never work at the beginning of a ride and slowly run out of power.
Any Idea where I should start looking?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #5306
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_OUTSIDE! View Post
I've noticed the voltage on my '04 KLR650 has been dropping from 14.8V to 12.5V over a 45 minute ride to work with heated vest and grips running. Initially turning off the grips will bring the voltage back up but by the time I get to work it wont. I have changed all the lights except the headlamp to LED, and the battery is a 1.5 year old AGM. Ive been running this setup for about a year without any trouble until one particularly cold day last week when I turned on the grips while wearing heated glove liners because one liner wouldnt heat up on my way to work. I dont know if I overloaded the charging system.
I've had charging systems quit on me but never work at the beginning of a ride and slowly run out of power.
Any Idea where I should start looking?
That's not much fluctuation. I'd consider that normal. I consider anything better than 12volts good.

Mine was going from 9v to 13. And occasionally cranky about starting, then quit altogether. Turned out to be a loose battery ground connection. That would be the first place to check.

KLR's are not fussy machines. Just keep them lubed and locktited.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #5307
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
If you're reading anything below about 13.5V at the battery with the engine running, you're not charging and will surely end up with a dead battery if that low-voltage continues long enough.

I would consider a bad voltage regulator that dies when it gets hot.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #5308
JBradley500
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I got these in a box of parts with my bike... what are they? I thought they look liked bar-end weights or mirror mounts but have no real idea.

JBradley500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #5309
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBradley500 View Post
I got these in a box of parts with my bike... what are they? I thought they look liked bar-end weights or mirror mounts but have no real idea.
Mirror vibration reducers.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #5310
JBradley500
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Thanks for the quick reply.

Here's a couple of pictures of last nights easy project. I got a little blood on the old rotor

JBradley500 is offline   Reply With Quote